Ok, while playing ealier i heard a slight crack and the strings all de-tuned...

on later inspection i realised the nut had slipped down about 1/4 of an inch from the neck.

is it safe to just glue the nut back into place or does a more serious fix need to be made??

I've got some super tight bonding epoxy stuff which should hold it... but is this suitable?
take off your strings and have a closer look if you havent already then poist back
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
i would get it checked. never trust glue unless the army uses it
Quote by jjennings216
i'd go gay for hendrix 128 he's fricken hillarious.

Quote by sadistic_monkey
To me, Jonas Brothers sound identical to Dragonforce. So I'm not sure what you've just proved.
Quote by rancidryan
take off your strings and have a closer look if you havent already then poist back

yeah, already done that, and it appears that the nut has simply come unstuck and slid across.

is this a major issue?
I think you should take it to a professional and have them check it out, because I've never heard of anything like this happening.
if the nut's become unstuck, use gorilla glue. that's what i used when the nut on my electric come loose, and it hasn't budged since.
G-G-G D-E-C C chord
Quote by hendrix_128
i would get it checked. never trust glue unless the army uses it

Are you kidding me the United States army, they would call a sticky dog turd super glue.
Gear
Schecter C1 Hellraiser FR
1967 Ventura Les Paul Copy
Marshall JCM 2000 Dual Super Lead
Sounds like your nut got unglued, no reason to panic.
Take of your strings, inspect the nut and the nut slot to see if anything got damaged in the process, and if nothing got damaged just glue the nut back (make sure to remove the remnants of the old glue first though).
ADA MP-1 fanatic!

Rig:
ADA MP-1 (stock)
TC Electronic G-Major
Marshall El84 20/20