Page 1 of 2
My best friend is black, and we just had a discussion about this...

It's recently come to my attention that the word is getting thrown around way too much recently. I live in a town of .5% black people and there are alot of white supremecists, but that does NOT mean I am one.

I was in class the other day, and a white girl about 18 years old, graduating this year, just curses "F****** n******" randomly during a test, when everything was dead quiet. The teacher just did a "Eh-hem!" with a glare, and went back to her computer.

It also seems that the words "Idiot" and "dumbass" have been replaced with the racist term.

I mean what the hell. I'd like to see her go to the bronx and say that.

Anyone else agree?
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
I have a black girlfriend, and my best mate keeps making racist jokes without realising I or her are there. The ****.

The "N" word is getting thrown around too much, yesh. It's in practically every gangsta impression (of which there are a lot) at my school, and it drives me freaking crazy.
Quote by Thornography
It's just a word.

+1 most ignorant post of the day?
-Jim Morrison
Quote by SlinkyBlue

I was in class the other day, and a white girl about 18 years old, graduating this year, just curses "F****** n******" randomly during a test, when everything was dead quiet. The teacher just did a "Eh-hem!" with a glare, and went back to her computer.

If she did that here (even though there aren't tons, really) she'd get sent out, auto fail on the test, and probably ISD.
Wolfie, Moley, Witty, Dgmey, Grundy
You mean Naggers?

*South Park reference.*
PICTURE YOURSELF IN A BOAT ON A RIVER
WITH TANGERINE TREES AND MARMALADE SKIES...
Quote by Fishyesque
If she did that here (even though there aren't tons, really) she'd get sent out, auto fail on the test, and probably ISD.

As she should.
-Jim Morrison
Nintendo?

first word i thought of
Check out my guitar quartet composition The Lone Wolf and you will be rewarded! With a live wolf!

Are you a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Quote by Led Pepplin
I'm adding you to my list of most hated UGers.

its been overused by black people themselves, and Fishyesque, in the UK she most likely woulda got a prison sentence as well, most likely be beaten up by every black person as well.
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I got a packet of Love Hearts when I was six and every one said 'You Have a Tiny Penis'

Hate humans? Click here
Quote by Thornography
It's just a word.

It's not just about the word.

Have you ever thought about the history behind that word?

Slavery, white supremacy, racially motivated murders and crimes..

So, is it still just a word?
Our hearts are with Nick Grundy.
Quote by Ez0ph
I think AvengedThrice is pretty cool guy, eh raeps kittens to death and doesn't afraid of anything.

He knows me well..
Quote by thedudemeister
and Fishyesque, in the UK she most likely woulda got a prison sentence as well, most likely be beaten up by every black person as well.

For me, sure it might 'just' be a word, but I'm not going to use a word that'll offend someone. There are plenty of awesome words out there.

In her case however, that's just something you don't say.
Actually, a party I was at last night, this kid i know had this recorder thing and he recorded himself yelling "n word" in a texas accent, and he kept playing it at random times, i thought it was pretty funny, but i do know when and when not so use it, would never say it to a black person, for respect and fear of losing my life
stupid bitch.

she just basically said '****ing hell' but replaced it with the 'n' word? :/

and she didn't get sent out? what the hell.
The “n” word…

Nincompoop?
Quote by innertom
So much down syndrome

remember UG Community? thought so.
It's like if we call all women bitches. It's disgraceful to a certain race, but honky is still a funny word.

I rest my case.
Quote by AvengedThrice

Well yeah it is.

Why would you think about the history of a word? What about when black rappers saying it. Is it bad then? Why can black people say it and white people cant.
Quote by Fishyesque
For me, sure it might 'just' be a word, but I'm not going to use a word that'll offend someone. There are plenty of awesome words out there.

In her case however, that's just something you don't say.

true, i agree, i dont say the word, mainly cause i disagree with anti-black racism, and i dont want to be killed lol
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I got a packet of Love Hearts when I was six and every one said 'You Have a Tiny Penis'

Hate humans? Click here
i dont like th n word much, i like other cuss words, and i don't like racist words, cuz they piss me off.
My Gear
Fender 72 Tele Deluxe
Behringer GM108
Austin Boot-Heel Cutaway
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Peavey Valveking 112

Quote by mikeman
Everyone can relate to food or taking dumps but nobody sings about it.
Quote by AvengedThrice

Yeah. It is still a word.
Just because something has a history doesnt change the fact that it's just a word.
And no-one is gonna stop anyone else using it until they take away freedom of speech.
Quote by AvengedThrice

Well that depends. Is it just a word when it gets thrown around 50 times in a three minute song?

In my honest opinion, until it becomes universally unacceptable from ALL races then there's no point in whining about it... just hope that those who "shouldn't" be using it have the common decency not to and maybe the rest will follow.
Quote by severed-metal
It's like if we call all women bitches. It's disgraceful to a certain race, but honky is still a funny word.

I rest my case.

well white people weren't enslaved for hundreds of years so honkey doesnt have the same effect as the n word theirs no equivalent to the n word for any other race
Quote by Stress Cow
You know you're fucked up when the pit thinks you're a sick bastard.
Quote by AvengedThrice

yeah it is still just a word
lyke jew, cracker, ****face there just words
only difference is how you say it and to whom
lyke i will call my friend a ****** and he'll call me cracker
it dont mean much cuz we dont let it
but of course you dont wanna shout out ****ing ****** in a
crowed room cuz someone might be offended lyke when you call them a jew its not a good thing so say nagger instead ROFL
Really?

I thinks it's childish to have debates over these things.

It's a word. Period.

It's likesaying I can say cracker, but you can't say N.
P.L.U.R.

We'll choke on our vomit and that will be the end

We were fated to pretend
Quote by Pyrest
Yeah. It is still a word.
Just because something has a history doesnt change the fact that it's just a word.
And no-one is gonna stop anyone else using it until they take away freedom of speech.

Words mean and imply things. The history behind the word and how it's used will mean different things to different people and will affect them. Stop all this "it's just a word" crap.
Who dat?
Quote by Pyrest
Not really.
Words should only be offensive if people intended them to be offensive.

True. I'm sure people could make African American seem like a derogatory term (which I think it is due to how ridiculous it is) if they wanted to.
Quote by theocao
well white people weren't enslaved for hundreds of years so honkey doesnt have the same effect as the n word theirs no equivalent to the n word for any other race

Ah, good point indeed. But, it is a racist term. As with cracka, whitey.
Quote by Pyrest
Not really.
Words should only be offensive if people intended them to be offensive.

Meh..

I remember I cringed the first time I had ever heard the 'c word'

I had no idea what it was, but I heard it and thought to myself "I don't know what that means, but I KNOW that's not a good word."

Words are what we make them people.

Making a word taboo just gives it more power.

I think people should stop being so darn sensitive about it.

It is usually only used in desperation to incite a reaction from someone anyway and it tends to work like a charm.

I think we as a society should be above letting a single word posses so much power over us.

But what do I know?

My opinion doesn't count cuz I'm whitey...
Just a thought, I find it funny that people are so upset over a derogatory term becoming commonplace. It's not like it's the first time it's happened, by any means. Look at the word gay or fag or dyke or any of the other terms referring to sexual identity that have taken on negative connotations and are now used every time we're pissed off at something. Nobody really freaked out when we started saying things were gay, why now when we start using the N word for the same? Makes you wonder what group is really the minority, in terms of power and recognition.
I can't say I honestly understand how a word can offend so many people just by it's use, even in non-derogatory contexts (E.G.: missing a question on a test and saying it). I have also noticed that the people who are most offended by it are A. the people that use the term lightly among their friends, these also happen to be the people spouting the most racial slurs against other races (These are "gangstas")
and B. White folk who believe blacks should be put on a pedestal because of the "oppression" their ancestors (NOTE: not the people they are defending) faced.

Basically what I mean to say is there is no logical reason a word should be so offensive to such a vast amount of people. If a single word used in any context can spark rage in you, then you probably need some anger management.
Quote by Guitar_Obsessed
What about when black rappers saying it. Is it bad then? Why can black people say it and white people cant.

Yeah, I never understood it either.
Our hearts are with Nick Grundy.
Quote by Ez0ph
I think AvengedThrice is pretty cool guy, eh raeps kittens to death and doesn't afraid of anything.

He knows me well..
Ive always thought this ,ok.

You know they can have music of black origin awards.(Mobo)

But what do you think would happen if the had music of white origin.There'd be a riot.Im not racist.I just like things to be fair.
I remember when a black guy in my tutor claimed to be in the KKK, many lols ensued. Anyway, It's just a word and should only be reacted to badly if it was meant in that way.
Page 1 of 2