Hey,

I have been playing guitar here and there for a few years. Not until recently have I really gotten into it. I was checking out Gibson's website and saw a lessons section. I saw this dude showing how to play a 16 note A minor pentatonic scale. It sounded cool. I'm not one to be able to pick a note out, so when I was listening i have no idea what he was playing and I couldn't really follow his hand.

I have some basic scale books but I can't find anything with this in it. Does anyone know where I can find this scale? I have looked for it in books and on the internet.

Thanks,
Justin
Quote by hollow1928years
A 16 note pentatonic scale doesn't make sense because a pentatonic scale has 5 notes.

I guess he meant a pentatonic scale, but that guy was playing 3 pentaves, with one extra note. (octave = 8 notes , pentave = 5 notes, I've made that up myself right now )
(srry for my bad english)

And by playing 3 pentaves, I mean he played the same scale over and over, 3 times, but eacht time 1 octave higher
So that makes 16 notes.

BTW is pentave an existing word??:P
Welcome to the Most BORING Place On Earth!!! !
It probably just goes through 3 octaves and ends on the root again.
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
Quote by turksegitarist
Yeah thats what i actually meant:P

So he just played the normal minor pentatonic scale.
You need to learn the notes all over the fretboard.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
I think that guy who "created" a "16 note pentatonic scale" should have his degree(s) torn to pieces.
The sixteen-note scale could mean that instead of dividing an octave into 12 equal parts, it's divided into 16 different parts, making all the notes different. A pentatonic scale is made up of five notes, but these five notes are taken from the system that's divided into 12. A pentatonic scale could therefore logically be made from a 16-note overall scale(don't think scale is the right word for this.) I've heard this being done in 21-note scales, following the Fibonacci Sequence, but not in 16-note ones. There's some very interesting, world-shaking articles written on the subject on the internet.
Quote by Declan87
I've heard this being done in 21-note scales, following the Fibonacci Sequence, but not in 16-note ones. There's some very interesting, world-shaking articles written on the subject on the internet.

Link?