I need help with putting in an EMG 81' into my Squier Fat Strat. First off, the typical problems that people told me I would encounter I've fixed or thought about. I have a space for the battery for the active pickup, and my pickguard I filed to make large enough for the EMG 81'. What I'm worried about is the fact that active pickups don't work with passive pickups or something. I only use the bridge pickup anyway, so if all slots in my 5-way selector are dead except for 5(bridge), then so be it, its perfectly fine by me. I just want to put in this pickup, but I'm not sure how. I'm not sure what to solder, where each wire goes, and what to do. WIRING DIAGRAMS DON't HELP because I haven't found a single diagram that has my exact configurations. Nothing with two single-coil, one humbucker, 5-way selector and 1 volume and two tone. Nothing with that, so I don't know what to do. Any help?
just run the single active emg, with 1 volume, and 1 tone, and take out the other knob, and get rid of the 5-way selector!

here's a diagram
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
don't worry about passive and active pickups not working together
they're prefectly compatible
my ltd used to have an emg 85 and a duncan invader so it's all good

i think a squier is a big fat waste of emg 81 though
is that you're only guitar?
Quote by rayunit
don't worry about passive and active pickups not working together
they're prefectly compatible
my ltd used to have an emg 85 and a duncan invader so it's all good

i think a squier is a big fat waste of emg 81 though
is that you're only guitar?

Not correct at all. Without significant complexity, you will not be able to have an active and a passive pickup working on your guitar. You'd most likely need two seperate circuits, and two jacks for that to work.

It was a little hard to understand, but I got the impression that you only really wanted to use the EMG anyway, in which case, forget about the passive pup, forget about the 5-way switch and second tone pot, and use the diagram above.