So I'm going to start doing the 21 day practice routine thing. Cas recommended in the topic (you can read it here) doing a few speed bursts in which you do not worry about how accurately you're playing but instead just concentrate on getting the feel for playing fast.

My question though is how fast should I make these? One thing I'm working on is this scale based tremelo picking exercise, and the fastest speed I can increase it by without making it tense is only 10 bpm. Is that enough?
10bpm??? that's nothing!
or did you mean 100bpm?
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
I meant 10. I reallly suck at tremelo picking, lol. Which is why I'm working on it with this method.
10 bpm *faints* okay first you need to definately need to get faster secondly this sounds like a bad idea playing fast without accuracy will make your playing sloppy.
try going at it at the 10 bpm more, even if you tense up a little. then go down 5 bpm. works for more. im doing it for triplets though, some ideas though
Quote by master_ofmetal
10 bpm *faints* okay first you need to definately need to get faster secondly this sounds like a bad idea playing fast without accuracy will make your playing sloppy.

Why don't you actually read the thread I linked to? The point is you work on something at a speed you can do effortlessly for an extended period of time, and then for the last few minutes of practice you play faster than what you're used to to get used to the feel of playing fast.

try going at it at the 10 bpm more, even if you tense up a little. then go down 5 bpm. works for more. im doing it for triplets though, some ideas though

Yeah I'm doing sextuplets so same difference.
Quote by black-sabbath
10bpm??? that's nothing!
or did you mean 100bpm?

Quote by master_ofmetal

Right, like you guys are so great yourselves. Cool it ego-maniacs. He's asking for advice, not how awesome and godly you guys are from masturbating with your picking hand so much.

TS, when I practice in bursts, I still never play them so fast that I can't even keep them clean. For example, I may be practicing an exercise at 120 bpm, then play a burst that would equate to around 140 or 150 bpm, and I can't keep it up for long without it getting sloppy. But for the 5 or 6 notes that I am playing it, it is clean. That's what makes it a burst. There are definitely different ways to go about this, but that's just one way I do.
Last edited by fixationdarknes at May 25, 2008,
Oh ok. So it doesn't need to be for an extended period of time? I think that was the main problem I was having, because I could play it for a little while at a faster speed but as I kept doing it it started to break down.
Yeah well to me "practicing in bursts" is really more for a mental benefit than anything. You're not actually working your muscles that much, but really just training and telling your CNS that you CAN play at that speed, and the lower-tempo more relaxed practice is what is helping you get there. At least that's how I view it.
I do speed bursts sometimes without worrying about accuracy.
I'm incredibly ****ty as a result.

You decide.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Quote by fixationdarknes
Right, like you guys are so great yourselves. Cool it ego-maniacs. He's asking for advice, not how awesome and godly you guys are from masturbating with your picking hand so much.

TS, when I practice in bursts, I still never play them so fast that I can't even keep them clean. For example, I may be practicing an exercise at 120 bpm, then play a burst that would equate to around 140 or 150 bpm, and I can't keep it up for long without it getting sloppy. But for the 5 or 6 notes that I am playing it, it is clean. That's what makes it a burst. There are definitely different ways to go about this, but that's just one way I do.

I masturbate with my picking hand and it makes no difference in my speed unfourtunatly.
Honestly, I think practice "routines" ruin the fun and spontaneity of guitar.

When you say sextuplets, I'm assuming you're using two strings to do it.

I got faster by kind of cutting corners... I watched a Gilbert video and he explained that he acheives his speed in sextuplets by picking the first string once, then hammering or pulling off the other two notes on the string and the second string notes are picked indivdually.
I've pretty much got it down packed thanks to hours of doing this.

I haven't tried the starting at 10bpm . I just started at whatever tempo and got the feel of it, then went faster. Though I guess there is some merit in starting at 10bpm.
And maintain the same technique at 6,000,000 bpm and at 10bpm, for that is the key to having good speed technique.
hue
Honestly, I think practice "routines" ruin the fun and spontaneity of guitar.

Yeah I don't really have any set routine either. I do have things that I make sure to practice for at least a given amount of time though.

When you say sextuplets, I'm assuming you're using two strings to do it.

Nope. I play about 3 sets of sextuples per string.

watched a Gilbert video and he explained that he acheives his speed in sextuplets by picking the first string once, then hammering or pulling off the other two notes on the string and the second string notes are picked indivdually.
I've pretty much got it down packed thanks to hours of doing this.

Well, that would't really help me get better at tremel picking..Since I wouldn't even be picking almost half the notes

I masturbate with my picking hand and it makes no difference in my speed unfourtunatly.

lol
Quote by Spamwise
Yeah I don't really have any set routine either. I do have things that I make sure to practice for at least a given amount of time though.

Nope. I play about 3 sets of sextuples per string.

Well, that would't really help me get better at tremel picking..Since I wouldn't even be picking almost half the notes

lol

Christ almighty....

And if it's tremelo picking, well then .... go about the 10bpm way, I just did it and it works pretty well.
hue
Sorry if I may sound weird here but 10bpm? Are you actually talking about tempo?

Well I practised straight 16th`s at first. To the 12-13npc, nor something like 16th to tempo of 260 (dunno actually, is it comparable directly).

Yet after achieved, I took it down from the maximum, since it really does not get you going towards better results, if you play on the edge of your limit, and having incompetent technique, that breaks down in every 5 seconds. Take it down. Work yourself up, training your muscles helps you, it is only way to achieve the goals you set.

- Fox
Last edited by MrFox at May 28, 2008,
Yeah I am talking about tempo. That practice idea says that you play at a speed that you can do perfectly for 21 days. Like I said I suck at tremelo picking, so I am doing 55 bpm. I read in the topic that Casualty01 (I think thats his SN) recommended a few speed bursts, where you work at a faster speed for a couple of minutes so tat you not only get used to the slowe sped but also the faster speed. 10 bpm is the most I was able to increase it without it getting sloppy. I've found though that since the first day that I'm ableto increase it more, so I guess I just have to keep it up.
OT: God some of you people are morons, he said he increases the speed with 10 bpm each time. He never said he plays his exercises at 10 bpm. Learn to read before making a post on the internet.
Last edited by Vomit Rapist at May 28, 2008,