What amp should I get that could get into early Megadeth, Judas Priest, Metallica on Kill 'em All, Destruction, Sodom, Pentagram, early Exodus, Electric Wizard, early Kreator, Mercyful Fate, Hellhammer, early Morbid Angel, early Slayer, Venom territory without a distortion or overdrive pedal.

I want a very punchy retro sound. Reasonably cheap used.

So far my options are a 50 watt single channel JCM 800, an Orange, maybe a Blue Voodoo, maybe a Sunn.

I don't know.

-Doesn't need a bunch of gadgets
-Less than 100 watts
-Tube
-Classic sounding but still getting heavy territory
-Under 1000 USD used.
-Head
A used 5150 or 6505 head would get you good distortion. An Orange (other than a Tiny Terror) would do it, or maybe a Mesa F/LoneStar/other Mesa in the price range. Some Carvin amps are in that range, and would give you good distortion as well.
The JCM800 is pretty much THE amp for what you've described. Find youself a good one, and a space where you can crank it up, and you'll be set.
I would say Plexi or JCM 800. A more budget conscious route that would be just as good would be a Laney Pro Tube AOR 50 (or something like that) or a Sovtek Mig 50.
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
In your case, the JCM.

I got to play my friend's B.V. a few months back. They are not bad amps, especially when cranked. The Blue Voodoo sounded pretty good to my ears. But then again that's just me. To be honest, though, I don't think they can really nail the thrash sound...

So yes. JCM for you.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by stratman_13
In your case, the JCM.

I got to play my friend's B.V. a few months back. They are not bad amps, especially when cranked. The Blue Voodoo sounded pretty good to my ears. But then again that's just me. To be honest, though, I don't think they can really nail the thrash sound...

So yes. JCM for you.

I played a BV 120 once and it was good, but not classic sounding. I've played a JCM 2204 and loved it. I'm just not sure if there is something out there that is better and cheaper.
Quote by metal Lover
I'm just not sure if there is something out there that is better and cheaper.

There'a always the Laneys. The GH50L can get very, very thrashy..
I was about to say check out Laneys

Nolly, get out of my head please
--

--
Quote by stratman_13
I was about to say check out Laneys

Nolly, get out of my head please

Sorry.

RHCPfan01 has us both beat though.
So he does.

But yes, metal_Lover, get the JCM or test drive a Laney.
--

--
Jcm 800 man, single channel. The cleans on the 2205 and 2210 aren't that clean and there's bleed through between the two channels. And the single channels can be modified into the metal stratosphere. If you played a JMP and it didn't break up, that's because it only has two gain stages like a plexi, but the cathodes of the first two stages are jumped together like alot of old fenders. The JMP master volume models are what became the JCM 800.
Quote by dr.rock666
w/e u do, dont get an orange

why the hell not?
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Quote by dr.rock666
w/e u do, dont get an orange

Orange are GREAT if you want classic AND heavy tone!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by shredhead22
why the hell not?

he probably tried the crush series and said "omg orange sucks!" like how people try the line 6 spiders (or read people saying they aren't very good on here) and shout "omg line 6 sucks!". sh33p da w33p, i say.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Gabel

Orange are GREAT if you want classic AND heavy tone!

I've heard a Rockververb in action doing metal and I wasn't impressed. People are allowed not to like them you know
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
ceriatone jcm?

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by timzee117
ceriatone jcm?

I was about to say the same thing haha

I'm on their site right now, probably gonna buy a few head kits.

A completely assembled, 100% ready to play JCM 8000 2204 head is like $850
Then again, shipping is over $200
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Last edited by chase312 at Jul 2, 2008,
Quote by timi_hendrix
I've heard a Rockververb in action doing metal and I wasn't impressed. People are allowed not to like them you know

this is UG. No they are not!
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
this is UG. No they are not!

w00ps, *hastily edits post to include spider bashing*

I recommend a peavey valveking!!!!!!!!!!!

i feel dirty for even joking about that

My Music
I think it's pretty unfair to expect American HiGain voicing out of an Orange. They do Maiden pretty well.
Quote by timi_hendrix
w00ps, *hastily edits post to include spider bashing*

I recommend a peavey valveking!!!!!!!!!!!

i feel dirty for even joking about that

Did a can of soup fall on your head? timi wake up! JCM would get my vote.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by timi_hendrix

You may critize something, as long as you have a reason! He just said, don't get them as if they were to be feared like the plague. Basically this guy was looking a for a JCM800 style amp and IMO the Rocker 30 is like a JCM800 on steroids.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Dudes, my bad, 90 hour work week will do things to you. The JTM 45 is the 2 gain stage with the cathodes jumped together on the first 2 stages. What I was getting at is the JMP may have been modded to JTM 45 specs. My most sincere apologies.
Quote by Gabel
You may critize something, as long as you have a reason! He just said, don't get them as if they were to be feared like the plague. Basically this guy was looking a for a JCM800 style amp and IMO the Rocker 30 is like a JCM800 on steroids.

Yeah, I see your point.

My Music