In your opinion, who is the most successful band of each decade, dating back to the sixties? Success can be based upon number of records sold, money made, and influence on the media/present and future generations. I think:

60's: The Beatles
70's: Led Zeppelin
80's: Van Halen and Metallica
90's: Nirvana and Smashing Pumpkins
00's: Coldplay
Member #11 of the Steve Irwin Memorial Club, pm Clincher09 to join

Quote by MuffinMan
Women: the newest form of currency.
50s: Elvis & Chuck Berry
60s:Rolling Stones & Beatles
70s:The Who and Led Zeppelin
80s:Van Halen and Motley Crue
90s: Pearl Jam and Nirvana
Metallica outsold everyone in the 90's...and well, everyone...except the beatles....so list goes likke this

60's = Beatles
70's = ....
every other year = Metallica
In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming.

╔═══╗
║  ██ ║
╠═══╣
║╬  •• ║
╚═══╝
Quote by del_trotter
60's The Beatles
70's The Doors
80's Guns N' Roses
90's Pearl Jam
00's Crashdiet

Nice 00's. They do suck now though... Crashdiet's first record - amazing. Since Lepard died... Meeh.
Quote by MusicHead32
This is an opinionated thread.
The first factors you listed were record sales and money made. In both those respects, the Pumpkins are insignificant compared to, for example, the Backstreet Boys or Britney Spears.
60s beatles
70s zeppelin
80s guns n roses
90s pearl jam
00s hmm...not too many insanely popular bands
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
60's-
70's - Saxon
80's - Siege
90's - Mogoutre - (1 copy, microphone shoved into the innards of a dead rat)
00's - Antaeus
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
00's - Muse
That was a rare post..

My band on:myspace facebook UG
Leeds '07 '08 '09!
I don't know the answer, or have anything funny to say, but dude that is one sweet Bulbasaur avatar
Quote by pucci6d6
60's-Beatles, Stones, Hendrix
70's-Doors, Zeppelin
80's-Guns n Roses, Metallica
Don't really care for the 90's or 00's

What about Linkin Park?
60s: Beatles for sure
70s: Lots of excellent bands, im gonna say Zep in the early part, then maybe the Ramones or Iggy Pop in the later part.
80s: Michael Jackson or Metallica for sure
90s: Nirvana.
00s: Hard to tell, but Coldplay is definately up there. And probably some rapper, like Snoop Dogg or w/e in terms of records. As far as influence, theres just too many to tell. I think Muse, Coheed and Cambria, Avenged Sevenfold (blech, IMO), and bands like em are gonna have loads of future influence.
Quote by smb
The first factors you listed were record sales and money made. In both those respects, the Pumpkins are insignificant compared to, for example, the Backstreet Boys or Britney Spears.

Did you read the other two points? Perhaps I feel as though Nirvana influenced the 90's more than, for example, the Backstreet Boys or Britney Spears. Why did you even come into this thread? I asked an opinion, I didn't ask for you to prove me wrong. Your options are as follow:
1. Contribute to the thread in a meaningful manner
2. Do not contribute to the thread in a meaningful manner, but rather discontinue typing

Quote by MuffinMan
Quote by MusicHead32
Did you read the other two points? Perhaps I feel as though Nirvana influenced the 90's more than, for example, the Backstreet Boys or Britney Spears. Why did you even come into this thread? I asked an opinion, I didn't ask for you to prove me wrong. Your options are as follow:
1. Contribute to the thread in a meaningful manner
2. Do not contribute to the thread in a meaningful manner, but rather discontinue typing

In your oppinion does 2+2=3? It doesn't matter, it isn't an oppinion question.

You should have said "most influential" instead of "most successful", then it would have been based on oppinion.
Quote by Beakwithteeth
Jim Morrison was dead in the '70s

Weird that The Doors released records in the 70's then...

Both Morrison Hotel and L.A Women are released in the 70's.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
Weird that The Doors released records in the 70's then...

Both Morrison Hotel and L.A Women are released in the 70's.

Why is that weird? Post-humous releases happen all the time. ****, Tupac is still making records.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Quote by TooFast
Why is that weird? Post-humous releases happen all the time. ****, Tupac is still making records.

And then why can't The Doors be listed in the 70's?... If he died 71...
At least one of the two albums I mentioned were released before his death in the 70's.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale

I never said they couldn't, I'm sure they were huge in the 70's.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Quote by TooFast
I never said they couldn't, I'm sure they were huge in the 70's.

Then I guess I'm arguing with the wrong guy/girl.
Guys, Jim died in 1971. So, while The Doors are definitely one of the best, they can't be the 70's greatest.

Even if They're best two albums came out in the 70's. Anyways;

60's: The Beatles
70's: Led Zeppelin
80's: Rush(?)
90's: Nirvana
00's: Who the f*ck cares.....
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
Quote by MusicHead32
*fanboy rant*
I love offending fanboys. I'm sure in your world, the Smashing Pumpkins and Nirvana are bigger than Jesus but in the real world they're barely punctuation in the historical musical narrative. Quit throwing your toys out the pram.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
At least one of the two albums I mentioned were released before his death in the 70's.

I didn't say they couldn't be listed in the '70s I just thought they would be more appropriately listed in the '60s. Technically they are still around so they COULD be listed in the '00s.
Quote by smb
I love offending fanboys. I'm sure in your world, the Smashing Pumpkins and Nirvana are bigger than Jesus but in the real world they're barely punctuation in the historical musical narrative. Quit throwing your toys out the pram.

I'm not a fanboy, I own over 100 albums and not one of them is by either of those bands, prick.

Quote by MuffinMan
For guitarists
60s: Hendrix. Not as important in the broader pop sphere, but his impact on guitar playing was so huge, I'd say he was the most influential.
70s: More difficult, because music fragmented; Glam, prog, hard rock, punk. But I'll go with the Stooges, as my favourite punks, for showing that guitarists didn't have to show off to be good.
80s: Van Halen. for reminding everyone that, in fact, you did have to show off to be good
90s: Kurt Cobain, reminding everyone that, in fact, you didn't have to show off to be good
00s: The Strokes. For giving all these stupid kids the idea of playing a chord on an off-beat. how has that single advance over garage rock generated such a sprawling indie music scene?

For everyone else: this is irrelevant. The main influences on pop music have been the Britney Spears's and Backstreet Boys of this world. Say 70s to an alt kid, and they'll think of punk or hard rock, but for most people, the 70s was disco. Thriller was the best selling album of the eighties (and of all time), by a huge margin. The Spice Girls sold more records than Nirvana.
In influence, wealth and sales, pop almost always beats rock.
Quote by soulflyV
Quote by Xplozive
Once I was pissing in the kitchen sink when I'd had a few and my friend walked in and goes wtf.

Once I was pissing in my friend when a few had I'd and my sink wtf goes in and walked.
50s: Chuck Berry
60s: Beatles
70s: Zeppelin
80s: Metallica
90s: Pearl Jam
00s: Foo Fighters

Edit: I didn't mean to totally kill this thread with the best response yet
Last edited by ma)(payne at May 25, 2008,
60s: Beatles, Cream and Hendrix
70s: Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and Queen
80s: Iron Maiden, Metallica and Guns and Roses
90s: RATM, Radiohead and Oasis
00s: Muse, The Strokes and Coldplay
Se habla español

Quote by pinheadslts75
People come up with the dumbest names for sexual acts. And the most disgusting concepts for sexual acts.

I'm tempted to report this thread because of how weird this is getting.

I saw x/taluha get her clock
60's: Hendrix for influence, the beatles for success and money made
70's: Pink Floyd for record sales but Zeppelin for influence and money
80's: Guns 'N' Roses, Metallica kinda even there
90's: Red Hot Chili Peppers, Nirvana, Pearl Jam... eh i don't really care here
00's: technicaly isn't over so i don't think you can really do this one but Coheed and Cambria, Wolfmother, and Velvet Revolver

Edit: i put Pink Floyd for record sales because of how long DSotM was on Billboard's top 200
Last edited by Mackawade at May 25, 2008,
60's - Grateful Dead
70's - Led Zeppelin
80's - Michael Jackson
90's - NWA
00's - Chocolate Rain (I move away from the mic to breathe)
50's - Elvis Presley
60's - The Beatles
70's - Led Zeppelin
80's - Red Hot Chili Peppers
90's - RHCP were great pre 1996, but I may say Blur
00's - The Strokes/John Butler Trio
60s - Bob Dylan/The Beatles
70s - Led Zeppelin/Pink Floyd
80s - U2
90s - Nirvana/Radiohead
00s - Coldplay/Foo Fighters