I'm looking at combos for under $1,000 and it seems that I could score a Marshall DSL or TSL for that price. I'm looking for tones similar to old school Metallica, some Rage Against the Machine, Iron Maiden, Protest the Hero, Paul Gilbert, Zeppelin, ect.

Basically, I want a great combo for classic/hard rock, that can do metal/thrash with an OD pedal over it.

So that tone is most important. I'd like an FX loop (which i'm pretty sure both has), and it'd be nice to have two on-board EQ's, just so I can switch between channels with more control over the tone.
Would a JCM 900 be better for that? I'm seeing ones in the $500 range on craigs list
Classified sites are pretty good. I got a Fender Twin off of kijiji.ca for $700. My local music store told me they would give me $1100 if I ever choose to sell it, so that's pretty sweet.
The kind of stuff you're mentioning is kind of diverse...but since some of it's metal, I don't know, I kind of agree with the dude who made the comment about the JCM 900. You can find them for pretty cheap, but personally, I would rather have a JCM800 combo. You can find them for about $800, or at least where I am in Canada. I've never played a DSL or TSL, but from the people on this forum, they seem to harvest some less than rabid fandom. Classified sites are really the only way you'll get a decent Marshall combo for under $1000. If you're interested in getting anything other than a combo, I've heard that Peavey has a half stack called the Windsor, which is pretty much a budget British tube amp. I know they're not Marshall, but I've heard rave reviews, and for the most part, they're a trustworthy company that doesn't tend to rip it's customers off (Marshall has made a habit of it in the past, specifically with these amps, by the sound of things.)

Take your time, and carefully look over what you need. I'd recommend a JCM800, because I've heard them before, and they sound great. That being said, I've never heard that combo JCM800, and from what I've read, the cleans on the 800 aren't too grand (like I said though, I READ: thoroughly research your choices!). Check out your local music stores (go to more than one, too, because one could try to sell you something they can't seem to get rid of, while the lots of others care about getting you something you'll enjoy.) Those guys are there to deal with inquiring customers, so don't be shy to ask questions.

I've made my post long enough, and said everything that I need to, I think. Make sure you get a chance to play it the way you'll want to (even if that means coming in before they close and getting them to let you crank it. Obviously, if your budget is under $1000, you too, like myself, don't have a lot of money to be throwing into investments that you're not sure about. Make sure that whatever you get is the right amp for you. Even bring in your own guitar and pedals to play with. )

Anyways, good luck, and I hope you get a great amp.

Also, I just realised that the gentleman who recommended the JCM900 is the same guy that started this thread. I'm an idiot. Anyways, you seem like you'll make the right choice.
Global warming at my homework, sir.
There are much better amps than the dsl and the tsl in that price range.

check out the

Peavey Classic 30
Mesa F-30
Peavey XXX
Marshall JCM800/900
Traynor YCV50
Yeah I found a couple JCM 900 combos on classified sites, but how good are the combos? I've heard the heads are good but the combo won't sound the same.

Also, which is better, the 800, or the 900?
It's popular belief that the JCM800 is superior to the 900, and I don't have any knowledge that suggests there's any reason to disagree with that. To be fair, I'm pretty sure that every combo version of a head is going to sound different than the head model, which I'm pretty sure is due to the 2x12, instead of the 4x12. I'm not completely sure, but I believe it has something to due with air and sound circulation, or something, and it just comes out sounding more "full"? Aside from combo only combos (Almost all Fenders, VoxAC30, Marshall Bluesbreaker), probably every head version of a amp is superior to it's combo sibling. If what you're looking at is promising, then arrange a meeting with the seller and try it out for yourself.
Global warming at my homework, sir.
The TSL is not a bad amp by any means. I got mine second hand, in mint condition and quite cheap too. €100 tube upgrade for hi gain from ww.eurotubes.com and shes a dream machine now. The problem I see is that a lot of guys are after that thick chunky sound that is really only achieved in studios by layering of tracks. when playing live you dont want your sound to be too bassy, otherwise you'll just get lost in the mix. I generally play rythm on the lead (highest gain) channel for that thick palm muted chugging stuff and used the crunch channel at a higher volume to allow solos to cut through the other instruments. The TSL's third channel makes this very easy as you can set bass/mid/treble/prescence differently for each individual channel. Spend time setting up the gear you have correctly. you will see greater benefits than if you just waste money trying to buy a sound. Amps are versatile and with patience can be dialled in to give a close approximation of many sounds used by popular artists.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky
Jackson King V
ESP Eclipse
Marshall TSL 100
Marshall 1960AV Cab
Boss ME-6
DSL has more gain and is less muddy than the TSL.

I'd go for a different amp though.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia