Page 1 of 2
Hey all, I've been playing for about 2.5 years now, and something that has really been bugging me lately is my pick choice. I can't seem to find a pick that can do everything well. Either its good for rhythm but bad for leads, or the other way around. I just don't seem to be able to get along with one particular pick for everything. I know it's been done to death, but does anyone have any suggestions for an all around pick and why?
Gear:
Fender Standard HSS Strat w/ Tone Zone bridge
ESP Ltd EC-1k Black cherry
Carvin DC127 blackburst with Bareknuckle Warpigs
Peavey 6505+
i use Ernie Ball Nylon Heavies and Fender tortex Heavies. i think i like the EB's better though.
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
Digitech Hardwire Tube Overdrive
it's going to be up to you, noone can suggest something, because we don't play like you, you're either going to have to set your guitar up with some 2 sided tape and line up varying picks for different things, or just go buy a whole bunch of different picks, and figure it out for yourself. I myself use a 1.14 mm, and I'm very happy with it for everything.
dunlop jazz III
My Gear:
Jay Turser Warlock
Baraccuda Strat
Takamine EG523SC
Samick Acoustic
Vox AD50VT
Boss DS-1
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
I play metal mainly, so I'm looking for something that does metal rhythms well as well as very fast shred leads.

I don't know why I'm obsessing over this so much, but I just can't seem to decide on a pick. I have well over 25 different kinds of picks and I still can't settle on one.
Gear:
Fender Standard HSS Strat w/ Tone Zone bridge
ESP Ltd EC-1k Black cherry
Carvin DC127 blackburst with Bareknuckle Warpigs
Peavey 6505+
Maybe you should try thicker picks, those usually do the job for metal, I would suggest Brains picks:

These have an extremely good grip, i've been using them for about 3-4 years now.

They go from .53 mm to 1.14 mm.
Last edited by Milaneus at May 25, 2008,
I use Dunlop Tortex pickks. They are decent. I recommend any pick in a Medium or hard, but medium since u solo and do evrything else.
jim dunlop nylon 1.14
Quote by Vagabond21
Ewww the searchbar is a slut, it gets used everyday...

Quote by tremeloud

The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
I love Dunlop Jazz III's (the black ones) for both metal lead and rhythm; the small size means they're really nimble in your fingers and they're accurate as hell once you get into how to use them, they can polarize opinion though
Use a selection of picks, i've been playing for over 5 years and i've got tones, i always end up picking a different one each time. Just up to you really
I play metal mainly, so I'm looking for something that does metal rhythms well as well as very fast shred leads.

I don't know why I'm obsessing over this so much, but I just can't seem to decide on a pick. I have well over 25 different kinds of picks and I still can't settle on one.

i think your problem is you dont stick with a pick for a good time so you never get used to it. like sometimes your picking technique is affected by the pick you use

for example changing from jazz 3 to normal picks i find you have to change a little the motion of your hand for pinch harmonics.

basically just try to stick with one. but if you have to choose get the jazz 3 makes pinch harmoncis easier and it helps your picking because of the pointy shape but i find the grip a little akward if you want more grip and a normal pick get the tortex dunlop ones
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Dunlop SW-95 Slash Wah Pedal
Cordoba C7 Nylon String Acoustic Guitar
Metal muff
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster Ash
Jazz III, or the super thick pointy purple tortex if you want something bigger to grip. I personally use jazz III's for guitar and the purple tortex for bass.
Dunlop Straps™
The best sounding straps on the market

Quote by steven seagull
Justice is this, justice is that...justice is 9 minutes long and recorded in a cupboard full of fluffy pillows
I use jazz III's for everything. They're fast and accurate and make pinch harmonics easy.
Plus, they never break.
I think you need to find one that's decent and just stick with it. There goes an old saying "Don't ask, just practice." After all, what do you want to do with a pick; analyze it or play guitar with it?
86% of the people who frequent the "Electric Guitar" forum would say that they have played guitar for under 5 years.
I use Jim Dunlop's. Tey're very durable, for every playing style, and for what you're playing. I use a 1.0mm, but .73mm are very good as well. They both can play chords and single notes well
I use Dunlop Tortex .60mm and they do great for both rythym and lead in jazz, funk, blues and alt rock.
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
HeavyReverb = Hero of The Pit 2010.
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
You sir are my absolute hero.
for the first few years i was playing i was useing regular picks by dunlop-fender and a few others. and always though it was my playing wasnt were i wanted it to be cus of me. then one day me and a friend were jamming, i just couldent play that well then he handed me one of his pics and i loved it. now all i use are the red dunlop jazz III. i love them bitchs
I use Dunlop 3mm Big Stubbies for the most part, otherwise i use .73mm Dunlop Tortex's
I find the Tortex nice for more rhythmically oriented songs, and the Stubby great for songs with fast lead parts in them. When i need to do rhythm parts with the stubby, I use it sideways and let it glide over the strings.
I use Tortex .88mm (the green ones) They're pretty good, I can do pinches really good with them, and shredding is easier. give 'em a shot.
They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
Quote by Diamond Dave
dunlop jazz III's (extra stiffo/black ones) or the Ibanez grip wizards are the best picks ive ever used.

yes. this part is off topic, does anyone but me know where this man's name originally came from?
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
Quote by guerito
I use jazz III's for everything. They're fast and accurate and make pinch harmonics easy.
Plus, they never break.

HUH?! I've never heard of a pick breaking. That must be a minor inconvenience when that happens...
I use ones that 'it appears to be from Fender', but I think they arent. Anyway, I love this in Medium, I've got like 5 because I always lost them, but I do really good for all picks, incluiding alternate that was my main problem-
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Jackson Kelly KE3

Strymon El Capistan
RMC4 Picture Wah
Sunface BC-108
Fulltone OCD
MXR M-108
ISP Decimator
Bad Monkey
Danelectro Fish & Chips

Peavey ValveKing 112:
-Celestion Vintage 30
i've been playing for about a year now and i use fender mediums for almost everything and in this picture:

on the right side, i use the red one. its a dunlop but dunno how thick it is or what its called but its really small and semi-thin so i use it for fast soloing.
Quote by madshatter

on the right side, i use the red one. its a dunlop but dunno how thick it is or what its called but its really small and semi-thin so i use it for fast soloing.

That's as Dunlop Tortex, the thinnest one. 0.5 mm, which is extremely thin and flappy so I'm surprised you can use that for fast soloing I personally wouldn't be able to because the pick has too much floppy give to do fast picked lines.
This thread inspires me to expand my pick knowledge. What are these Jazz IIIs that everyone is obsessive about? I've gotta try one. I'd like to have a huge pick collection, but I always lose them. I never have more than 10 picks at a time. Where do they go???

But I think you should just match your pick size with your string gauge. If you use light strings, use light picks. Heavier strings need heavier picks.
GANGSTAAAAAAS!

Chika! Chika! YEAH YEAH!

Quote by SG6578
That is regular hard maple...I'm 100% f*cking d*ck licking sure.
Quote by I Sikth I
HUH?! I've never heard of a pick breaking. That must be a minor inconvenience when that happens...

I broke a pick about a week ago; I buy relatively cheap ones in bulk and the string just cut into it, I was left with no pick looking very confused and trying to find my pick on the floor while it was hanging off my high E with a small cut in the side.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Third3ye
I never have more than 10 picks at a time. Where do they go???

they disappear into another dimension to become part of a great guitar pick conspiracy to take over the world.
and to the TS, just use the one that feels right. /thread
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
I bought the grip wizard heavy picks and i honeslty cant play with any other pick other then the grip wizards
Quote by MacAdam
dunlop jazz III

beat me to it lol, IMO best picks ever, i too a while back couldn't figure out what pick i should be using. think thin, what brand was best and so on, my guitar instructor told me to try the dunlp jazz 3 picks, and OMG it was like the holy grail lol.

I'd deffinetly say give those a try, I've even got my friends hooked on them.

Quote by DarkRaven03
Hey all, I've been playing for about 2.5 years now, and something that has really been bugging me lately is my pick choice. I can't seem to find a pick that can do everything well. Either its good for rhythm but bad for leads, or the other way around. I just don't seem to be able to get along with one particular pick for everything. I know it's been done to death, but does anyone have any suggestions for an all around pick and why?

You have reached a point in your career where pick choice will begin to bug you. It wont last. Picks have nothing to do with what you are playing really. change them up once in awhile. I honestly believe that most guitarists go through this.

I switch off between jazz picks, heavies and mediums. Don't use thin picks, they will break if you play fast.

One thing I will suggest though is this: Put some medical tape in a ball sort of on the back of the pick. Like basically wrap it around the big side. I flip the pick back between my fingers and start randomly finger picking sometimes or tapping and allot of times I drop the pick. If you do this, it will stop you from embarrassing yourself on stage.
Last edited by silentdud at May 29, 2008,
Dunlop Jazz III's stiffo, Dunlop Gator picks in green, Dunlop Tortex in light blue (hellblau in German) and I use to have this super thick sparkly blue pick that i wore down to a nub, it said Dadi. And any pick someone offers me.

Current Rig:
Ltd EC1000 deluxe
Ltd FX260
Peavey Valveking 112
Shure Super 55
Shure Pg 58
Behringer Kx1200
Jazz III work swimmingly.
To a shredder, a second is a long time.

Member of the UG Gentlemen of Higher Thought Establishment.

Invite only, if you want to be considered, contribute well to UG, and respect others as much as possible!
Quote by Nemesis260
Jazz III work swimmingly.

spiffingly would have been another good word for that. but that's beside the point. this man's advice is still just as sound.
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
I only use Dunlop U.S.A. Ultex 1.0's for shredding. They are so sick.
Page 1 of 2