I'm looking into buying a new guitar soon, and I'm aiming for something under $1000. I play all kinds of music, from Slayer to Bob Marley to Leftover Crack to Led Zeppelin. What kind of guitar do you think would be best?

I'm open to any serious suggestions any of you have.
Thanks.
Sunburst EC-1000
Amazing. Period.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
most high end esps, jacksons, ibanezs, even bc rich will be good
Quote by jjennings216
i'd go gay for hendrix 128 he's fricken hillarious.

Quote by sadistic_monkey
To me, Jonas Brothers sound identical to Dragonforce. So I'm not sure what you've just proved.
American Strat, Gibson LP (Menace, Faded Maple Top, BFG, Vintage Mahogany, Faded Doublecut), ESP LTD (EC, Viper), Washburn WI
Now it's 1984
Knock knock at your front door
It's the suede denim secret police
They have come for your un-cool niece
Fender strat. the mexican one is a great deal and almost same quality as american.
Quote by Soadfan8
Fender strat. the mexican one is a great deal and almost same quality as american.

LOL
Now it's 1984
Schecter C-1 Classic, Gibson SG Menace, Ibanez RG Prestige, Maverick F-1 (You might be able to find one on Ebay), PRS Custom SE (Or any PRS in that price range) John5 Telecaster, ESP LTD MH 1000... I think guitars in that price range are the hardest to buy, for me anyway. There not brilliant enough to be a sure thing, but there not cheap enough for it not to matter.
Quote by -Collapse-
Why would he get a strat if he needs to play Slayer?

A Strat can play Slayer.
Now it's 1984
Quote by diditfortehlulz
A Strat can play Slayer.

A Strat can play Slayer... it won't sound that good but it will play it... Besides, if its a Strat with a humbucker then it will complete the job fairly well. It won't be as good as an EMG equipped guitar with a Mahogany body instead Alder and Ash but it'll still sound good.
Quote by AngryGoldfish
A Strat can play Slayer... it won't sound that good but it will play it... Besides, if its a Strat with a humbucker then it will complete the job fairly well. It won't be as good as an EMG equipped guitar with a Mahogany body instead Alder and Ash but it'll still sound good.

A Strat with a Super Distortion or similar pickup would do Slayer fine, I think. Before they used EMG's, they used Super Distortion's, PAF's, and Megadrive's.

And well, Jeff's ESP is made of alder, and Kerry's BC Rich is made of maple, so I think alder would fare okay.

Not trying to sound like a dick, just sayin'.
Now it's 1984
Quote by diditfortehlulz
A Strat with a Super Distortion or similar pickup would do Slayer fine, I think. Before they used EMG's, they used Super Distortion's, PAF's, and Megadrive's.

And well, Jeff's ESP is made of alder, and Kerry's BC Rich is made of maple, so I think alder would fare okay.

Not trying to sound like a dick, just sayin'.

Nah mate I love of a bit of random info'... I'm that bit closer to knowing everything there is to know!
Quote by AngryGoldfish
Nah mate I love of a bit of random info'... I'm that bit closer to knowing everything there is to know!

Oh yeah - American Strat > Schecter!
Now it's 1984
Last edited by diditfortehlulz at May 25, 2008,
Ibanez S Prestige
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
Quote by diditfortehlulz
A Strat can play Slayer.

The point is he needs versatile guitar for everything.
You can play slayer on a violin, but that doesn't mean it's going to be the choice for him.
If you put a strat up, it's usually assumed your talking standard SSS unless you specify otherwise.
For the record, I'm not buying an Ibanez. I don't know how to explain it, but I just really don't like them. I hate the feel they have.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys, keep it coming.
Quote by -Collapse-
You can play slayer on a violin, but that doesn't mean it's going to be the choice for him.
If you put a strat up, it's usually assumed your talking standard SSS unless you specify otherwise.

There really isn't anything more versatile than an American HSS strat with a Super Distortion in the bridge, and he was talking HSS from the pickups he suggested.
My Gear:

Guitars:
Fender American HSS Stratocaster

Amps & Effects:
Hand-Wired JCM 800 2204
Hand-Wired V30 2x12 Cab
Keeley TS-9 Tube Screamer
ISP Decimator
EHX Holiest Grail
Modded Dunlop Crybaby
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Quote by LightningRider
There really isn't anything more versatile than an American HSS strat with a Super Distortion in the bridge, and he was talking HSS from the pickups he suggested.

Agreed. HSS setup has the punch of an Ibanez, the melow slippery sounds of a Telecaster, and the playability of a... Strat!

If you don't like the Ibanez feel, I'm afraid it cuts out a few other similar guitars, such as Jackson. I would strongly reckomend a Schecter, PRS or a Fender. There the best guitars in that price range that have diversity and don't feel like an Ibanez.
Quote by hendrix_128
most high end esps, jacksons, ibanezs, even bc rich will be good

No offense, but most of those aren't very versatile., except for the ibanez artcores.
The artcores are amazing, plus, their low price let's you afford a pickup change. After the pickups are changed, you're in Gibson territory.
Last edited by Mike! at May 26, 2008,
Yeah but an Artcore is a hollow body, and if hes gonna play anything with some gain hes gonna be driving into feedback city.

TC, you say you hate ibanezs, have you PLAYED an S Prestige?

Most likely youve played a non-made in japan prestige model.
Mesa Boogie DC5
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Quote by Teh GIR
Yeah but an Artcore is a hollow body, and if hes gonna play anything with some gain hes gonna be driving into feedback city.

TC, you say you hate ibanezs, have you PLAYED an S Prestige?

Most likely youve played a non-made in japan prestige model.

Yeah, the prestige is amazing, but "versatility" is playing in high gain, low gain and clean. So, if you want the best of both worlds, i'd get a used epi elitist les paul.
Quote by Mike!
Yeah, the prestige is amazing, but "versatility" is playing in high gain, low gain and clean. So, if you want the best of both worlds, i'd get a used epi elitist les paul.

Yeah and a used S Prestige can do all of that....

Mesa Boogie DC5
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Quote by Teh GIR
Yeah and a used S Prestige can do all of that....

Well, it's personal taste, but for low gain and clean, I prefer the artcores and LPs.
But for metal, the S-Prestige with blows the artcores out of the water.
Schecter C-1 Classic in Antique Amber. Sexy, good pups, and plays nicely.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Quote by Mike!
Well, it's personal taste, but for low gain and clean, I prefer the artcores and LPs.
But for metal, the S-Prestige with blows the artcores out of the water.

Get this
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-SA260M-Electric-Guitar?sku=512538

Replace Single coils with Dimarzio Blue-velvets
Replace Humbucker with a Dimarzio Steve' Special or PAF Pro
Replace tuners with locking tuners.

Equals to around 500-600

If anything, this would be better for low gain stuff.

Mesa Boogie DC5
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
PRS SE custom. i think so anways.
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
Quote by -Collapse-

An HSS Strat, then.

It doesn't get more versatile than a Strat. If he goes from a metal phase, to a blues phase, all he has to do is swap pickguards. Just an example, but you get what I'm sayin'.
Now it's 1984