I had a couple of questions about recording the acoustic guitar to the computer.

1. Is the best way through a mic? Which mic would you suggest around $100
2. Then is there another free program that's better than Audacity?

Thanks
IMO I'd think the best way would be through an acoustic pickup with a 1 1/4" adapter so it'll plug into your sound card.
Barring that, Shure makes pretty decent quality instrument mics for around $60 - $80 at pretty much any Guitar Center or like music store. Just make sure to get a stand.

I use a Tascam 8 track, so I can't help you with the program thing.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play

8 track digital studio recorder.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
for micing, you have a lot of different options, there are several tutorials on the web describing a bunch of them, i prefer placing the mic about six inches from the body pointing to about 2 inches below the soundhole, but it really depends on what kind of sound you want, theres actually a guide to acoustic recording in this months (or maybe last months by now) Guitar World
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Garou1911
IMO I'd think the best way would be through an acoustic pickup with a 1 1/4" adapter so it'll plug into your sound card.
Barring that, Shure makes pretty decent quality instrument mics for around $60 - $80 at pretty much any Guitar Center or like music store. Just make sure to get a stand.

I use a Tascam 8 track, so I can't help you with the program thing.

That would be the easiest way, but not even close to the best way in terms of quality.
Your probably best using two mics if you can (google has a LOT of info on this stuff), so something like this would be good:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MXL-MXL-990MXL-991-Recording-Microphone-Package?sku=273166
You can get by with one mic, any good condenser mic should work fine.

Also, don't get a shure instrument mic, most of them are designed to micing amps and wont be that great for recording acoustics, theres much better options.

You will also probably need an interface for best results too, plugging straight into your soundcard (if its a stock soundcard or integrated onto the motherboard) wont give you great results, if you have a proper pro audio soundcard then that will work great. these are great value for money interfaces if you need one:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Tascam-US122L-USB2.0-Audio-Midi-Computer-Interface?sku=242192
okay, doesnt look like any one else here will answer you question.

me to the rescue.

in the riffs and recordings thread section there is an entire thread with lists of free recording programs.

i recomend kristal
I'm using an M-Audio USB Large diaphragm condensor mic. It was $100 and worth every penny. It comes with the M-Audio "Session" program that is easy to use and has tons of plug-ins. I can't recommend it highly enough.
"There but for fortune go you or I"- Phil Ochs
You should get a large diaphragm acoustic Microphone such as the MXL V63M. I bought mine for $68 but I see the price has gone up.

Audacity is a useful program but unless you are a sound genius you won't be able to get what you want sound wise. For most of us rock heads I would suggest Sonoma Riffworks for recording as it is designed for musicians not Phd's in acoustics. It has some factory settings that will get you some quality sound. I still use Audacity but mainly for editing such as cutting and pasting because I can't do that on Riffworks. Riffworks costs about $100 and is well worth the investment. Once you get the hang of it it's pretty easy to use. It includes drums and such.