I am looking for a new acoustic-electric guitar. I'm in a bluegrass/americana band. My price range is $1000 or under. I was thinking about a Taylor 214ce or a Larrivee guitar.
Martin D-15. Especially because you play bluegrass. The taylor just doesnt compare in my opinion. but that is of course, my preference.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by captivate
Martin D-15. Especially because you play bluegrass. The taylor just doesnt compare in my opinion. but that is of course, my preference.

Hog top might not give that "bluegrass" tone. Larrivee's x03 series, Martin D-16R, or look for something used.
"There but for fortune go you or I"- Phil Ochs
Quote by captivate

I have played the D-15 and I loved it. But I was hoping to have a cutaway too (I know I'm being picky )
Last edited by zambo9 at May 25, 2008,
Quote by zambo9
I have played the D-15 and I loved it. But I was hoping to have a cutaway too (I know I'm being picky )

Well, there is a D-15 with a cutaway and electronics, so if you're really into that guitar, I would search one out.
Quote by Made Of Metal
Well, there is a D-15 with a cutaway and electronics, so if you're really into that guitar, I would search one out.

Thanks for your help.
if you want to go the taylor route give jim at guitar rodeo a call he may have pre 2007 214 taylor wich gives you a solid back and sides (sapele) and a sitka spruce top for less than your budget. If you still wannna go the taylor route and want the new all solid then a 3 series dreadnaught or ga body style is still within your budget 999 at my local guitar center that leaves you 100 for a pickup(aftermarket of course) i recomend a k&k undersaddle transducer my self, i have one love it but thats just me .

that being said there are many reputable guitar companies putting out excellent guitars that can compete with anything in that price range i would try everything you can afford and settle on what gives you the best balance of tone durability and play.
the 800 dollars or so that a new 214 ce taylor demands is even in my opinoin (as a taylor laminate owner that is quite satisfied with my tone) a high premium for a gigging musicain to pay. as far as my guitar is i am quite satisfied with the build quality it is cleanly made stays in tune for well over a set (12 songs) and is intonated within a cent of 440 korg tuner withstanding and i believe that most if not all taylor guitars are built to that spec. i hope you find your guitar and good luck happy strumming
Well, Larivee is always good, but a bit pricey. Otherwise a Blueridge gutiar is great for almost everything, especially bluegrass!
If your trying to go traditional bluegrass Martin really is your best bet, and if you really wanna go old school only use 1 mic and play barefoot.
If you love god, burn a church.- Jello Biafra

Think not that I am come to send peace on earth; I came not to send peace, but a sword. -- Jesus

The war on global warming will go full force in.. 3.. 2.. 1..
Send in the peguins!!
Quote by rockyoursockson
If your trying to go traditional bluegrass Martin really is your best bet, and if you really wanna go old school only use 1 mic and play barefoot.

+1. There aren't a lot of things that sound better than a string band around 1 mic.
Sorry I haven't been on for awhile. I am more into the "newgrass" type of bluegrass. Would a Martin still be the best choice?
Thanks for all your help so far everyone
Last edited by zambo9 at May 28, 2008,
id say the martin would be good no doubt about that.
But for the same price as a martin you could get a Larrive that rivals many of there high end stuff no kidding i tried one out (craigslist) made me regret i bought my martin.
the low end martin solids are alright but IMO the larrivee is the way bettor offer.
I think the reason this is, is the bracing. the low end martin stuff just usses A shape and X baracing while the Larrivee is more complicated and really thats what matters most not the outside or what it looks like or the NAME for that matter but the bracing inside and the top and sides I think the larrives use AAA sitkas while the low end martins use AA. I think just give it a few more years and Larrivees are ganna shot straight up especially now that they have that factory in Oxnard around here
I think you get way way way more bang for your buck for the larrivee and there around the same ball park as the 15 series.
My suggestion is dont get the taylor there to overpriced for what they are laminates with a big Brand name on it, if you want that just get a takamine G-series for cheaper. Even there higher end stuff isnt that mind blowing really now that i think about it if you want a Taylor thats good and worth talking about you need to spend 2500 to 3000, no thanks ill just buy a OM and D larrivee or a the whole 15 series range for that matter.
hope that helps
Last edited by the-kidR44 at May 29, 2008,
Quote by the-kidR44
id say the martin would be good no doubt about that.
But for the same price as a martin you could get a Larrive that rivals many of there high end stuff no kidding i tried one out (craigslist) made me regret i bought my martin.
the low end martin solids are alright but IMO the larrivee is the way bettor offer.
I think the reason this is, is the bracing. the low end martin stuff just usses A shape and X baracing while the Larrivee is more complicated and really thats what matters most not the outside or what it looks like or the NAME for that matter but the bracing inside and the top and sides

i think i'll argue that. I have a D-16RGT, which is considered Martin's 2nd lowest line(well... without being a joke anyway). It uses Hybrid X bracing, which is a mix of their traditional X from with structural supports from their A frame. I'll put up my martin against any other guitar in it's price range and I guarantee you that it'll be a tough competitior for it's rivals. I've played my guitar against a played in 1978 D-28 at the store i bought my guitar and mine sounded clearer and crisper. I also play my Martin against a D-09 Larrivee and still like mine more every time.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
I am on my way to a music store that has some Martins and a few Larrivees. I am going to play them to see what they feel like side by side.