When you perform a whole step slide whilst tapping, should you move your whole hand to reach the approved frets, or should you arch your fingers and slide them whilst anchoring your hand around the fretboard?
The latter motion seems to feel the most unatural, but it helps dull any unwanted noises from other strings. But the former method, the one where you move your whole hand along with the slide feels right, but sounds bad. My hand has a tendancy to knock other strings slightly and there seems to be no direct or instantly easy way of erradicating that noise without anchoring your hand firmly.
Ok, I see what you mean then. Personally, I don't anchor my hand at all while tapping unless it's multi-fingered parallel-to-fret-board tapping (eg. Building the Church ). That being said, I find it easier to do a combined motion of both the finger and arm/wrist, depending on how far I have to slide.
Well if your doing a tap slide that reaches over more than four frets, you have to move whole hand. I have no real problem with half step slides cause' I just use the motion from my fingers to direct the sounds and it feels right. But anymore than that and my hand kinda hurts a little. I imagine it just takes practise and there is no right or wrong way of doing it.
Quote by AngryGoldfish
Even the half step ones?

Yeah, but I could see that a finger motion would work for a half-step slide. Anyway, I've never really looked into tapped slides all that much though because, well, I don't think you should worry about them that much. Things like picking, sweeping, and legato seem to all have much more value in practicing proper technique.
Quote by fixationdarknes
Yeah, but I could see that a finger motion would work for a half-step slide. Anyway, I've never really looked into tapped slides all that much though because, well, I don't think you should worry about them that much. Things like picking, sweeping, and legato seem to all have much more value in practicing proper technique.

Well I hate to sound rude but this is Advanced Techniques, its were your supposed to queery about these kind of things. There's no shame in wanting to play this technique with adept skill. But then again I'm not going to base my playing around tap slides! I just recently bought a magazine with a lot of them contained in it and, although I have practised them previously, and was quite decent at them, and really enjoyed both the sound and motion of them, then I thought it would be best to incite others to fine works! ie by telling me how they play their tap slides.
I understand that, but again I really don't think many people have spent that much time thinking about it, so you probably won't get a very sophisticated answer. I'm assuming the best you'll get is: play it with whatever method delivers the most efficient least-tense result (the answer to 90% of the questions asked in the forum). And for other things such as picking, sweeping, legato-- there are more defined specific things to advise and follow. But my point is that with something like tap slides, there isn't much one can say other than basic rules like don't tense up and only press as hard as you need to, etc.
Having just experimented and watched my hand I can say that I always move my whole arm for a tapped slide, to me it's the most natural movement and gives me the greatest range of movement and control without having to change my technique based on what I'm going to have to play.

To me that's one of the more important things about technique; not having to change based on what is being played, good technique to me should be very versatile without having to change.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I see what you mean mate, I agree as well. I've never read anything on tap slides and because its such a small technique there is only one or two ways of doing it, and those differential ways are never too far apart and herald similar results.

So ^^ the best thing to do is to try and organise your arm so that it completes another task in a similar fashion. If I have a tendency to slide my whole arm with standard taps, then do the same with tap slides. But if I do the reversal, then follow the same route. Am I right there?
Quote by fixationdarknes
I move my whole arm for tapped slides.

What a pro

Since I have a long arm and pretty large hands, my tapping hand doesn't move that much when I play unless the notes are 8+ frets apart.
hue