I learned some scales a while back (minor pentatonic, major, blues) and lately i have been trying to play like those little bluesy things people do. haha im sure you guys know what im talkin about.

so what i have been doing is i start playing a scale and then i add some extra notes and bends in a bluesy kinda rythm but it just sounds like crap.

can someone tell me how to do the bluesy stuff? thanks so much
I find chromatics in a pentatonic scale can sound bluesy if you phrase it properly. For your bends, make sure you're bending in tune!!!
what exactly is bending in tune?

If you're bending from A up to B (10th to 12th fret on the B string) you want to actually bend to B, not just somewhere near B.

i have been trying to play like those little bluesy things people do. haha im sure you guys know what im talkin about.
I have no idea what you're talking about
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
I think you mean pentatonic blues licks.

A good way to get a feel for them is to learn your favourite bluesy solos.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Listen and try to learn some blues. Study the 12 bar blues and blues scale. Learn some turnarounds.

I suggest you Stevie Ray Vaughan, BB King, John Lee Hooker, some Eric Clapton stuff, Ry Cooder, Allman Brothers Band, Robert Johnson.
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.
Quote by DarTHie
Listen and try to learn some blues. Study the 12 bar blues and blues scale. Learn some turnarounds.

I suggest you Stevie Ray Vaughan, BB King, John Lee Hooker, some Eric Clapton stuff, Ry Cooder, Allman Brothers Band, Robert Johnson.

alright thanks
Is there a site on the net (or was it in GP5) where you can find scales easily

EDIT: this site is decent for practicing Link
Last edited by 08L1V10N at May 26, 2008,
Use the blues scale - minor pentatonic with an additional flat 5th, and steal licks constantly...that's what everyone else does.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Ænimus Prime
If you're bending from A up to B (10th to 12th fret on the B string) you want to actually bend to B, not just somewhere near B.
Nears good enough. As long as your say 10 cents away from hitting a perfect note. Not many guitarist's have relative pitch, due to guitar being a fretted instrument.
Quote by demonofthenight
Nears good enough.
No, it is not! Please consider the few people who have to listen and actually hear the difference. It is close to torture.

There's a trick though: if you can't hear it, keep the pitch moving. This is called vibrato. (It's what you get using a tremolo/whammy bar when you keep pulling and releasing). By using vibrato, you mask the wrong pitch and the note sounds better. At least it is when the right pitch is within the vibrato range.
Last edited by Withakay at May 26, 2008,
I totally agree with steven seagull (great name btw). Besides, you've never played something wholly unique. Just rip off all the blues licks you can. Its not stealing, if it was, well, we're all thieves.