Page 1 of 2
I'll put up the sign-ups for this and leave a long due date for you all, maybe put up at between US vs World Comp rounds or even afterwards, if math/science comp goes ahead.

I wll be strict on this - English Sonnets only. Which means this form:

>Lines written in iambic pentameter (yes, this is a proper sonnet comp). Google it if you don't know.

>An English sonnet has the form abab/cdcd/efef/gg, where the first two quatrains (groups of four lines) introduce a problem. The third quatrain generally has a sharp twist in tone or theme, known as a "volta". The last couplet is usually a summary or a resololution to the problem.

>If you can't adhere to these, don't sign up. This is more than a comp, it's a chance to get flexible and learn how to fit to form.

>12 spots only, eleven after me

>If you want in, just say so. Any questions, post 'em here.

>If you "in" and don't give me a piece by the due date, you will lose a point and have to take Zach out for dinner one evening. Well, the punishment should fit the crime.

Roster:

1. Jammydude44
2. zC
3. Gurgle!Argh!
4. pumpkins_rule
5. SYK
6. aaron6890
7. averagejoepoet
8. bryanC
9. snowblind
10. godofguitar1991

DUE 14TH JUNE 21st JUNE
Last edited by Jammydude44 at Jun 14, 2008,
what happins if I don't submit?

Oh... and just as a precursor for those who don't submit: "I'll be down in 5 minutes, I need to finish wiht my blush... WHY DO YOU HATE ME AND MY MOTHER? Do you remember what you said 10 years ago on the way to my brothers graduation... well it still *sob* hurts...
I'm tempted to say in...

but I'm going to the UK in three weeks for a month... and I really don't know if I'll have time while I'm there, or access to a PC.

Do you think this will be due within 7 weeks?
O! music: Click (Youtube)

^ Click to see an acoustic arrangement of Ke$ha's 'Your Love is my Drug' - everyone's favourite song.
Nate, just send one when you can if you can't see this comp up at all. I'll put you in as "sub" for now so you don't get minused one.

Like I said, send one if you get the chance at all.

Ah, thanks a ton.

I'll try my best to have one ready.

Lol, I'm still working on the sestina I said I was gonna write like two weeks ago. Fun fun.

^ Click to see an acoustic arrangement of Ke$ha's 'Your Love is my Drug' - everyone's favourite song.
Quote by Jammydude44
>Lines written in iambic pentameter (yes, this is a proper sonnet comp). Google it if you don't know.
Googling nao..
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Booooyah, I just wrote 2 sonnets for writer's craft. In.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

well i was just thinking.
you will be giving us a long due date.
and no one will know that mine will be the one stinking up the joint,
so it's sink or swim.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Lol at SYK.

A question about sonnets...

Can I end a quatrain on a comma? and then carry over the sentence? Or does it need a full stop?

INdeed, a great idea that will challenge my mINd
I'm a pianist and a poet,
and someday the world will know it
But until then all that I can do
is play my songs for you.

Wallflower says: Thank You! But my friend Odd is, well, feeling odd.
Quote by aaron6890
so i finished, what do i do? post it in here? or are you making another thread for it or something?

pm me it.

I will set a due date of 14th June.

Twelve days.

Pwease edit into title ?
Quote by ZanasCross
Do we have a due date yet? I need to know if I need to find out what Iambic is sooner rather than later or if I can put it off.

i walked amongst a field so green.

that was iambic tetrameter. an iambic foot has two syllables. the first is unstressed, the second is stressed. in iambic pentameter, there are five of these feet in a line, so ten syllables. the line i wrote has eight syllables cos its in iambic tetrameter. sorry about that. i'm better at making up tetrameters than pentameters.

obviously, there is variation within the metre. for example.

when i do count the clock that tells the time

has a pyrrhic first foot (two unstressed syllables)

or

to be or not to be, that is the question

again, this is iambic pentameter, but there is variation. the most obvious one is that there are eleven syllables; the last one is an unstressed hyperbeat. additionally, the fourth foot, 'that is' is a trochee, it is stressed then unstressed, which creates that sudden drop which one feels at that point.

essentially, to characterise iambic metres, they have a rising feel. that ti-tum feel gives them a sense of lifting up. in contrast, a trocheeic line, which goes stressed unstressed would give a sense of falling. obviously, in writing in iambic metre you aren't restricted to only using iambs; few poems are written in perfect iambic pentameter, and generally they only do so by shoehorning some stupid emphases in there. but generally, the poem should have an iambic feel.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Last edited by Gurgle!Argh! at Jun 5, 2008,
Hi, hi.

With the rhyme scheme, how the last couplet is GG, is it not allowed to rhyme with the last line of the last quatrain?

ie. EFEF FF

Just wondering...

Lol, thanks. Doesn't matter now, I couldn't work it in anyway.

I'm almost done with mine, if I send it to you can you tell me if I've done the iambic pentameter right? I'm really not sure...

Lol I'm sure it'll be cool man. I'm no pro either, this was just a matter of some creativivity in the forum and practicing to form.
Quote by Jammydude44
Typoooo.

haha, a pretty major one too i guess...
Last edited by Gurgle!Argh! at Jun 6, 2008,
coolio. thanks

you can put me in for definite now. I should have my piece to you within the next day or so.

i haven't written anything for this yet. i hope that i will but there's a chance that i won't; i'm in the middle of exams at the moment. i've got over 6 hours of renaissance literature exams tomorrow. eish.
I was hoping you might even have an oldish one to Pm over, Matt. I'll give it a bit more time considering the slow sending of others, too.
Zach, the easiest way to make sure you're on the right track is just make sure you have 10 syllables per line... 9 or 11 are okay too.
10 is what you aim for though.

... meh.

Quote by ZanasCross
Yeah, I need to start this soon... including figuring out for sure what Iambic thingy is, like actually taking hte time to figure it out. How much more time, Jammy?

the best thing to do is just go on sound. read some things that are in iambic pentameter and get that into your head, get used to that rising sound. then just aim for that sound, with ten syllables. its worth pointing out that you'll probably need a mid-line caesura to make it work. eg

to be or not to be / that is the question

where i put the slash, there's kind of a natural pause. its difficult to write pentameter without such a pause. if you just try and write one continuous line without a pause you may find it tricky. but again, don't over think it. just make sure you have ten syllables in there (maybe eleven) and look for that rising sound. metre doesn't have to be exact.

anyway, if we have until the 21st i can definitely get something i reckon. sadly, i don't think i have any old stuff that meets the criteria. i mean i've got sonnets, but i don't have any that are as strictly ordered as this, they have different rhyme schemes or metres. i could chuck one in though if i can't get anything. but if people need time anyway then yeah, 21st is great.
Page 1 of 2