...And I have decided that I'd like it to be a delay, or a Big Muff Pi.

I'll post pictures of the guitar I might be modding to have it in it, but With a little help this might be done really well =] If not the Muff, then I'll probably just get a Fernandez Sustainer, but I like the Idea of having a Fuzz/distortion built into my guitar without having to buy one of those rediculously expensive Mansons.

Is anyone willing to help or guide me through this process? And more over, has anyone ever done this before? (Unprofessionally of course)

Please help!

-Kai
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
its a common practice
what you 'could' do is take out the guts of it and stick em into your guitar, which is what im gonna do at one point with a holiest grail. ill probably sell the casing on ebay or something.
but im gonna take out the jack of the guitar and just follow the wiring from my guitar to the pedal.
ill then go about routing a new spot for the battery (because im not gonna have a power supply going into my axe, thats just a bit too tacky for me) ill follow that up by drilling holes in the body for the knobs of the pedal. then ill just use the OUT jack from the pedal as my permanent one.
anyway
another thing, the more common one around here (central California) is to route a small cavity to hold the pedal, hot glue or epoxy it into place, take an instrument cable to the jack of the guitar and thie IN of the pedal, then just use the OUT of the pedal as your jack.
Recondite: Thats what I was thinking about doing (the routing and stuff), but wouldn't the second option make the guitar heavy as hell? I mean, I could do it I suppose, but I'd have to have a test guitar first.

authority: I'll look into the boards man, thanks =]
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
a big muff pi would be incredible as an onboard effect, i say go for it. delay, i'm not so into that idea simply because it is a less commonly used effect, but if you think you'd use it enough, than why not? really, all you have to do is exactly what recondite said:
1. take apart the pedal
2. check your control cavity, if you have enough space (doubtful) for the board and battery, good, if not, find a spot and rout out another cavity for the effect, including holes for knobs
3. solder the leads going to your existing output jack to the leads coming from the pedals input jack, and use the pedal output as your guitars output
4. install everything, and play!

*edit* now that i think about it, you'll want to replace the pedals mono output with a stereo jack so that the battery is only being used when you are plugged in... unfortunately im not entirely sure how this works (i tried once but need to rewire it as it didn't work the first time.)
Quote by rednwhiteblues
*edit* now that i think about it, you'll want to replace the pedals mono output with a stereo jack so that the battery is only being used when you are plugged in... unfortunately im not entirely sure how this works (i tried once but need to rewire it as it didn't work the first time.)

i thought the pedal wouyld already have this included in them?

im also thinking of wiring a big muff into my guitar when i finish making if ill take picture etc maybe make a tutorial of it
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Quote by rancidryan

im also thinking of wiring a big muff into my guitar when i finish making if ill take picture etc maybe make a tutorial of it

Oh, please do!

and thanks for your help rednwhiteblues =] I'm going to GC and I'll see if it can be done ^^
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
Quote by rancidryan

most pedals will have the stereo jack on the input jack, so when there's something plugged in to the in jack, the battery's being drained. It's just a matter of using the same technique on the output jack.
I used to have a cheap Sears electric guitar that looked like an Explorer back in the 80's. Right under the volume and tone knobs was a plate with about 6 buttons. Each was a different effect like dist, phaser, reverb, delay, chorus,etc... I thought it was a cool idea at the time, but everyone shunned that idea and teased me about the guitar and when you're 13 years old, you take teasing serious... I actually gave it away about 15 years ago, but now I regret it. I would like to dissect it to see how it was done.
/JP
^Wow...were the effects good? well, for the kind of guitar it was?
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
Quote by Kai07
^Wow...were the effects good? well, for the kind of guitar it was?

From what I remember they were cool, but mind you that was 1988, so it's been a while. I'm trying to remember the exact name of the model made by Sears. Maybe you could find the same on ebay real cheap and tear out the effects and install it into your guitar.
JP
I Remember!!!
It's called Sears Effector. It says, "Effector" on the head stock. Google it...
JP
I did this with a Malekko B:assmaster on my friends bass

its awesome, do it do it do it
lol@u
Quote by divinorum69
Id go with guitar fetish modboards

aparently there not that great
Quote by Deliriumbassist
okay, so the Big Muff pedal is a bit to "big" to actually big to route without killing my sustain. I was thinking to use a Little Big Muff or a Metal Muff NANO. I'm leaning toward the Metal Muff ALOT more now, because of the sheer routing difference.

I gotta go buy it first though =] I'll be sure to post results as soon as I do.

Dreamality: I think ill Google that now.
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
Wouldn't a Big Muff, you know, kinda compensate for the sustain difference anyway?
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
if you take it out of its enclosure it wont be that big at all i think.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Ah! I see. I assumed because of the giant casing, it would be fecking huge lol.
and theres also no reason why I cant have BOTH right? =D

EDIT: Heres the muff Circuit

I'll get a picture of the metal muff circuit when I can.
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
Last edited by Kai07 at May 28, 2008,
Maybe you should consider buying the BYOC Large Beaver? it's a much smaller circuit board to work with than the typical Muff, I'd wager.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
you could route it really shallow, and put the battery and controls in the control cavity, or replace the knobs in the control cavity with stacked knobs, if the route's like 4-5mm deep, and away from the strings, i doubt it'll make that big a difference in tone...
Quote by qstionauthority
Have you checked out the Modboards from GuitarFetish?
http://store.guitarfetish.com/modboards.html

They are really bad don't do it!
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
James Iha from The Smashing Pumpkins used to tape a delay pedal and a small clone to his Flying V. They would just be plugged in like a normal signal chain. He'd turn them on with his hand.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
yea, i've thought about doing this before, but i'm not so good with a router and I wouldn't want to do anything that might seriously mess up my guitar...

but all you would need to do is take the hot wire going out from your guitar, and use that as the input to the fuzz pedal. So once you have the board out from the fuzz casing, unsolder the wires from the input, one will be ground, one will be hot, and one will be from the battery since it should be a stereo plug. And connect the hot wire from the input of the pedal, to the hot wire from the outgoing signal from your guitar (the wire connecting to the output jack.

then all you would really need to do, is connect your ground to the ground of the cable jack, and the battery to ground and to the third prong of the stereo jack. Not that hard just gotta plan everything out.
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial