Page 1 of 2
i started playin guitar bout 5 yrs ago with a squier strat. i wouldn't say i'm a great guitarist but i don't suck either, kinda middle of the road. i've had a job for a few months now and finally have enough money to buy pretty much any guitar i want. i'm probably gonna get an epiphone but i've always wondered if i actually deserve to have one. what i mean by that is i'm afraid someone'll think i suck and don't deserve a better guitar. has anyone else ever felt this way?

p.s.: i wanna get either a cherry sunburst or black beauty, what do you think?
squier to epiphone is pretty much a lateral move or a slight move up if anything.

If you can afford any guitar get something worth having.
If you have enough money to buy ANY guitar you want...

Why an Epiphone?
When a man lies he murders some part of the world
These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives
All this I cannot bear to witness any longer
Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?
yeah thats a step up but not too much of one. i dont think anyone will say anything about it, if you have stuck it out through 5 years then you more then deserve a new one.
man, if u like it, get it. i think if uv been playin on a squire strat for 5 yrs u deserve something new.
Epiphone Les Pauls are good guitars, my brother has one. I say go for it. And like that other guy said it's just an epiphone not a gibson or anything so it's not a question of "if you deserve it."
Quote by jackson001
Ironbodom, I hate you.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
damnit Ironbodom.

Quote by Sleaze Disease
Yes, someone "was ate jam" while they were playing.
Brilliant observation.

Save SURGE
why do you care what people think of you? i've been playing guitar for 2 years. i practice about 2 hours a day. i have a gibson les paul, an esp ltd m-103, and a vox ad50vt. spoiled? no, i payed for all of it. do i deserve it? i don't know. i think i do. do other people? i don't give a crap.

lol what i'm trying to get at is, if you like it, and you think it's worth spending money on, buy it. people won't bash you for having an epiphone. an epiphone isnt all that high end.
I don't mean for this to sound dick-ish, but if you have enough money to buy any guitar you want and the first thing you thought of was Epiphone, maybe you should stick to a lower budget guitar.
Quote by guitar_god22

thats about south africa tho...which isnt poor at all.
Quote by RyanInChains9
yea venezula is just the richest country in the world...
fuck people who say you don't deserve it, you had a squier for 5 years.

I'd say go for something a little better than an epiphone, how much money do you have? If you have the cash, go for a reallly nice one like a PRS.
"We are not concerned with motive, with higher ethics. We are concerned only with cutting down crime-."
Well here's some food for thought- my FIRST electric guitar was a Gibson SG Standard. Yeah, the one that costs $1600 now. I paid $600, but it's still way too nice of a guitar for a beginner (I played bass for a few years first).

I say buy a damn nice guitar like a Fender or Gibson or get a custom Carvin, that would be really nice! Everyone deserves a custom guitar, imo.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
yeah dude, if you could get anything you want go for like a custom shop gibby or fender, a PRS, a carvin, a custom ESP, or like a USA Jackson.

even if you can't play that amazing and you lose the will to play down the road, you could sell that guitar for a good price as compared to selling well, a squier...
Quote by imdeth
The only grinding i want to do is to Napalm Death.
Quote by the humanity
you get humanitarian of the day award.
I can't see anyone bashing you no matter what you buy, considering people who are complete noobs at guitar get like 1300 dollar guitars as starters.
My Rig:

Guitars:
Schecter C-1 Classic (Deep Sea Green)
Jackson DK2M Snow White Edition
BC Rich Mockingbird Special X

Amps:
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 212
Roland Microcube

RIP Kevin Robert Swerdfiger
September 15 1991 - May 16 2008
I mentioned to my cousin, who is a guitarist by trade, that I was interested in learning to play about three or four years ago. He showed up at my house a week later and gave me a PRS.

Was I "good" enough to "deserve" such a good guitar? No, I had only just started.

Did it matter? No.

If it's what you love, it doesn't matter if what you play. Never believe that gear surpasses ability; get what you want. Play what you want. Love it.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
ok guys i didn't exactly mean "ANY" guitar, lets say the price range tops off at $1000
get a bass. when you solo, it will confuse people.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by Elms
ok guys i didn't exactly mean "ANY" guitar, lets say the price range tops off at $1000

$1000 and you're thinking epiphone?!!!!! oh, man.

PRS
ESP
FENDER

look at the fender deluxe player's strat.
Quote by GNRjungle87
$1000 and you're thinking epiphone?!!!!! oh, man.

PRS
ESP
FENDER

look at the fender deluxe player's strat.

alright i know i sound like a dumbass here but htis was why i started the thread, to get some feedback on what you guys thought.
i'd really like a gibson or epiphone...keep givin suggestions please
Quote by Elms
alright i know i sound like a dumbass here but htis was why i started the thread, to get some feedback on what you guys thought.
i'd really like a gibson or epiphone...keep givin suggestions please

yeah, didnt mean to be a jerk, sorry.
check out the epiphone elitist series. they're pretty much a lower end gibson. better than the gibson les paul studios.
What kind of amp do you have? If you're not satisfied with it, you can get an epi and a nice amp. Epiphone's are pretty solid anyways.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
Quote by shut_up_n00b
What kind of amp do you have? If you're not satisfied with it, you can get an epi and a nice amp. Epiphone's are pretty solid anyways.

i got a crate MX10 which i'm pretty satisfied with. i also got a boss DS-1 distortion pedal and a cry baby wah; i haven't had time nor money really to get anything else
If all you are going to do is buy one Epi les paul, I'd say go get like 3 Agile copies for varied tone, all of which will probably be better than the Epi, and you will probably still have money left over to swap out pickups and do other various modifications.
Quote by The Silent Fool
If all you are going to do is buy one Epi les paul, I'd say go get like 3 Agile copies for varied tone, all of which will probably be better than the Epi, and you will probably still have money left over to swap out pickups and do other various modifications.

thanks for the suggestion but that would just end up confusing the hell outta me
if you have 800, i'd say look at some ESP's or maybe even the more normal price PRS.

Like this, http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/PRS-Guitars-SE-Custom-Electric-Guitar?sku=519370

excellent guitar for the price. You could then buy some cool shit with the other 200 or, just spend it on hookers. Your call.
"We are not concerned with motive, with higher ethics. We are concerned only with cutting down crime-."
The suggestions are all great and helpful, but I know for sure that I want either a Gibson or Epiphone
go to a music shop and play all they have. chances are, you'll find something way better. and don't be so close minded, people like you gassed the Jews.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
go to a music shop and play all they have. chances are, you'll find something way better. and don't be so close minded, people like you gassed the Jews.

whoa man did u really have to say the jew bit, jk
the only guitar place anywhere near my house is guitar center, and from what i hear it sucks trying to go there and try out a guitar on an availiable amp, just what i hear
Serioulsy, go try out something OTHER than an Epiphone or a Gibson. Why are you so intent on those anyway?

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by valennic
Serioulsy, go try out something OTHER than an Epiphone or a Gibson. Why are you so intent on those anyway?

well i've played them before and i like the sound and feel, plus they're cool looking
Well trust me, theres more than just those. Go try out some more brands and see if you like them or not. If you dont, fine, get a Gibson or an Epi. But trust me, you might like one of the others more.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

sorry about the Jew comment, but you need to be open. Close minded peeps tck me off. also, Guitar Center> nothing. go there. play everything! anything! And blow out an amp when they aren't paying attention. It's fun.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

if you want an inexpensive high quality guitar, get a Carvin.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
you don't deserve guitars, you buy them. it's as simple as that. if you have the money, you shouldn't let what other people think of you keep you from buying a sick guitar. granted, this is if you truly have a passion for the guitar. if you're one of those dilettantes who pick up the instrument less than once a week and fumble around for a bit on a $3000 guitar, that is pretty lame imo.

and i would say if you're actually conscientious enough to wonder if you deserve it, than you most likely do deserve it. it at least shows that you respect it. oh, and don't get an epiphone

My mind is going. I can feel it.
Page 1 of 2