Page 1 of 6
Do Christians listen to secular music?Im a christian and I listen to both christian and secular.Is it a sin?

(secular music is regular music thats everywhere)
*sigh*

I hate the term secular.

If you were an open minded christian, you would recognize that music is a gift from God, and that there is no such thing as secular music.

For perspective, I guarantee more people were turned to Christ from the song Highway to Hell - ACDC than any no-name christian song that no one has ever heard of.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Well, back when I was Christian I listened to secular music all the time like Metallica, Lamb of God, Slayer, and what not. I hated how all Christian music sounded alike to me.

I may not believe in Christianity anymore but in the Christian sense, it's not a sin to listen to secular music. It's not stated anywhere in the Bible or whatever. It's just something old people who hate music different from theirs made up.
My Christian friends do .
The only person I ever met that listens only to religious music, is my dad's car's mechanic.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

I'm a christian, and I listen ONLY to secular/non-christian music.
IMO, christian musicians (primarily the ones in the general genre of rock), just aren't as gifted musically then "secular" music.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by SlinkyBlue
*sigh*

I hate the term secular.

If you were an open minded christian, you would recognize that music is a gift from God, and that there is no such thing as secular music.

For perspective, I guarantee more people were turned to Christ from the song Highway to Hell - ACDC than any no-name christian song that no one has ever heard of.
I actually find that insulting.

Music is the result of human ingenuity.
i do
Quote by RyanGillam
You got to admire people that share their problems over the internet.

Quote by Våd Hamster
....You need a girlfriend whose name doesn't end in .jpg >_>
Quote by freedoms_stain
I actually find that insulting.

Music is the result of human ingenuity.

=/ I wouldn't be so bold as to say that. Music is a natural phenomenon. We didn't invent music. We exploited it.

Humans didn't invent harmonics, we didn't invent pitch, everything that has to do with the natural resounding frequencies that create music are naturally occured mathamatical powers and factors.

We didn't do **** man. =/
-Jim Morrison
Yeah, a lot of Christian music is repetitive and boring, but I enjoy Thousand Foot Krutch and the odd Kutless song, as well as some other bands.

You just get really sick of that G to D to whatever else major chord progression.

Quote by Silent_gojira
Is it a sin?

Not unless you listen to Atheist or openly Satan-worshiping music.
im suposed to be catholic but my parents say i worship satan because of some of what i listen to
Quote by SlinkyBlue
=/ I wouldn't be so bold as to say that. Music is a natural phenomenon. We didn't invent music. We exploited it.
Music = sound. Sound = energy.

Nothing in nature can produce sound the way we do, or arrange it like we do.

"Music" in nature is a method of communication. For humans it is art.
Yea i just love the album God Hates us all by slayer
In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming.

╔═══╗
║  ██ ║
╠═══╣
║╬  •• ║
╚═══╝
christian music is sooooooooooo bad
if you love god that much, why make music that makes god want to shoot himself?
I am the last Samaurai

Quote by Strati
Note to self: keep off thread while on lsd trip.

Quote by gtrfrk123
Well i'm still fairly young so i still hump random things

Quote by Woogles
****K YOU HOE!
GTFO MAH UG!
Quote by SlinkyBlue
Humans didn't invent harmonics, we didn't invent pitch, everything that has to do with the natural resounding frequencies that create music are naturally occured mathamatical powers and factors.

We didn't do **** man. =/
It's still just sound in nature.

kinetic energy to sound energy.

It's not music.
I am a non-christian and I listen to some christian music such as Proto-Kaw....even though I know that's not what you are asking about but w/e
Quote by Killian5-0
I was looking at a friend of mines baby that was just born and I said "He's younger than me"

Quote by Rocker_geek
nexteyenate you win
Linux
I'm actually a pretty "serious (not sure about the best word for that)" Catholic... but I listen to anything from Casting Crowns to Disturbed... Basically as long as it's not hip hop/rap I'll listen to it. VERY rarely I'll listen to country... but yeah... I don't see why it'd be a huge deal...
Abbreviated version:
Quote by Lots of People

Quote by :.FireStorm.:
+1 Maus24

:.FireStorm.: - #15 poster in the thread, #1 in my heart.

o _o
/###############
|###############
\###############

Member #6 of the "Shoop da Whoop" club
pm C.C. Deville to join
Quote by jakekilgore666

You're not very intelligent, are you.
Abbreviated version:
Quote by Lots of People

+1 Maus24

o _o
/###############
|###############
\###############

pm C.C. Deville to join
Quote by jakekilgore666

+1

I'm off to change that!

But, one of the very few christian musicians (well, performers of christian music) that I respect is Phil Keaggy.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by a guitar's life
Well, back when I was Christian I listened to secular music all the time like Metallica, Lamb of God, Slayer, and what not. I hated how all Christian music sounded alike to me.

I may not believe in Christianity anymore but in the Christian sense, it's not a sin to listen to secular music. It's not stated anywhere in the Bible or whatever. It's just something old people who hate music different from theirs made up.

Actually, the bible, and all Christian writings is pretty specific about doing anything that denies Christ, or any Christian writings, so, I guess it would be a sin. But who the hell cares, have fun, enjoy what you enjoy and do it with gusto no "character" supposedly 2000 years old is going to come and give you **** for liking a type of music.
Quote by freedoms_stain
Music = sound. Sound = energy.

Nothing in nature can produce sound the way we do, or arrange it like we do.

"Music" in nature is a method of communication. For humans it is art.

This is true, but also it is beside my first stated fact. Yes, we exploit the sound and energy to make music that sounds good, but the point I was trying to make was that if those non-secularist Chrisitans abided to the text which they live their lives by, they would appreciate all music as a gift from God... not only because we are "given" the ability to arrange it, but because the fundamentals of music are the fundamentals of physics.

I don't believe it myself. I used to be a christian but I cannot stand the ignorance that lies in the church. But the fact that many, MANY of my christian friends will cut themselves before listening to secular music wants me to blast Slayer at their house all night long.
-Jim Morrison
I sure hope its not a sin to listen to secular music because I ****ing hate Christian music, even though I am one. Jesus have they heard of originality?

Then again I'm probably not a very good Christian lol.
DRINK APPLE JUICE
O.J. will kill you
Quote by InTheFlesh!
Not unless you listen to Atheist or openly Satan-worshiping music.

I used to sing along to openly atheist music when I was a Christian. I disliked the message but loved the music. Is that really such a problem?
Quote by a guitar's life

Finally someone who understands! Thank you a guitar's life
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

I got my Christian friend interested in Muse. Seriously, music is universal and is as based in mathematics as "divine" inspiration.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Quote by Craigo
I used to sing along to openly atheist music when I was a Christian. I disliked the message but loved the music. Is that really such a problem?

I know what you mean. Some songs with great-sounding licks and whatever else just have sh1tty lyrics... it's not my fault.
Abbreviated version:
Quote by Lots of People

+1 Maus24

o _o
/###############
|###############
\###############

pm C.C. Deville to join
It isn't unchristian to listen to secular music, and it is niether a sin. I led my one friend to christ who used to bring knifes to school and whatnot for defense, and because he didn't like some people. But altogether, he worshipped Satan, and I tried to minister to him and tell him about Christ. Now he's a strong christian and got out of the bad enviroment and all the things he did before. But what's remarkable is that I met him because I saw that he had bands like Slayer, Lamb of God, and Metallica on his book and I said, "Those are some sweet bands,"

So to sum it all up, maybe it is bad to listen to secular music maybe it isn't. I personally think it's ok as long as the song has a good or neutral message without displaying profanity, then you're fine.

Trust me though, your music preference is not going to determine whether your heavenbound.

Also, next time, post in the religion thread .
ADVERTISING SPACE FOR SALE!
I don't charge much...

If you don't click this , you'll die :/
That is just retarded to say listening to music is a sin. I hate how in Islam you can't listen to music at all. Now you are telling me it could possibly be a sin to listen to music in Christianity?!? I don't really like lyrics if they promote any religion. But I don't care if I like the music.

By the way I am Christian. If you would be open minded and not extremist you would realize that music is a gift from god.
Last edited by Masonpwiley at May 25, 2008,
i listen to both. mewithoutYou is awesome lyrically. great music too. as cities burn is pretty good too. but im beginning to listen a bunch of my dads older cd's such as BTO, the band, the doobie brothers, beatles, and other old stuff.
PS3

Fear the LIME

X
Quote by Silent_gojira
Do Christians listen to secular music?

Quote by Silent_gojira
Im a christian and I listen to both christian and secular.

Obviously they do.

-SD
Last edited by SilentDeftone at May 25, 2008,
i'm Christian and Rush happens to be one of my favorite bands and a lot of their music deals with the general negative side of religion.

just because you are of a certain religion doesn't mean it doesn't have its faults and therefore you should be open to them regardless of the way they're presented to you.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Quote by SlinkyBlue
This is true, but also it is beside my first stated fact. Yes, we exploit the sound and energy to make music that sounds good, but the point I was trying to make was that if those non-secularist Chrisitans abided to the text which they live their lives by, they would appreciate all music as a gift from God... not only because we are "given" the ability to arrange it, but because the fundamentals of music are the fundamentals of physics.

I don't believe it myself. I used to be a christian but I cannot stand the ignorance that lies in the church. But the fact that many, MANY of my christian friends will cut themselves before listening to secular music wants me to blast Slayer at their house all night long.
Fairy muff if you're talking about stuff specified in the bible.

Just as long as we understand that I think the bible is BS cover to cover.
Quote by freedoms_stain
Fairy muff if you're talking about stuff specified in the bible.

Just as long as we understand that I think the bible is BS cover to cover.

Whats muff mean? =P

I have no problem with that.
-Jim Morrison
I'm a christian who hates secular music, thank you .

(Arch Enemy, COB, PanterA, Damageplan, August Burns Red, Trivium, BFMV, 'tallica, Megadeth, Atreyu, In Flames, Firewind, Unearth, Hatebreed, Opeth, Chimaira, Lamb Of God, Testament, Five Finger Death Punch, Steel Dredger (f'in amazing band), Fallen Fate, Killswitch Engage, Death, Daath (not a typo), ect.., FTW!!! )
Last edited by DiMeTiMe at May 25, 2008,
Quote by SlinkyBlue
Whats muff mean? =P

I have no problem with that.
fairy muff rhymes with fair enough.

Cockney rhyming slang guv'nor.

Even though I'm not cockney, or even English.
heck, no its not a sin. i know this as a very deep christian, everyone my age (i'm 16) here at my church listens to secular music, and besides, its not stated anywhere that it is a sin.
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
Quote by darkarbiter7
I'm a christian, and I listen ONLY to secular/non-christian music.
IMO, christian musicians (primarily the ones in the general genre of rock), just aren't as gifted musically then "secular" music.

+1 on the first bit. I haven't listened to enough Christian music to judge their gifts though. I'm sure there are many talented people in that genre, but I find "secular" music more appealing lyrically and musically. Of course there are some really good songs inspired by Christian themes (ie "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Lookin For"), but as a whole I don't really enjoy strictly worship bands/music.

I don't think listening to music of any kind is sinful either, regardless of genre. It's something there for our enjoyment. Besides, I'm more inspired by Black Sabbath than Michael W. Smith.
If your a true christian you should only listen to music created by god himself "LEMMY"
Listen to MOTORHEAD
Quote by Silent_gojira
Do Christians listen to secular music?Im a christian and I listen to both christian and secular.Is it a sin?

(secular music is regular music thats everywhere)

sorry son

you're going straight to hell