hey what key is the star spangled banner (original) (frances scott keyes) in?
and what scales/keyes can i use to improv with it? thanks in advance for your posts.
not sure but it might be in f or c. I wish i had completely learned it when i was in band.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
I've just played it in three different keys and it sound fine in all - so I looked it up and found this:

"The song is notoriously difficult for nonprofessionals to sing, because of its wide range — an octave and a half. Garrison Keillor has frequently campaigned for the performance of the anthem in the original key, G major, which can be managed by most average singers without difficulty[21] (it is usually played in A-flat or B-flat)."
Well, in my guitar class it's in the book and it's using the c scale... But I supposed to could play it off of any major scale.
It depends on the arrangement. Most electric guitar versions are just played in E major. Band arrangements are usually played in Bb.
Quote by CowboyUp
It depends on the arrangement. Most electric guitar versions are just played in E major. Band arrangements are usually played in Bb.

i got bored the other day playing around and stumbled across it by accident and deffinetly Emaj
song stuck in my head today

I play it in the key the person singing feels comfortable in. If nobody is singing I just hit a note and go from there.
Guitars:
1968 Telecaster (MIA)
1979 Strat (MIA)
1983 Fender Bullet S3 (MIA)
2007 Gibson VM LP (MIA)
2007 Fender Telecaster Highway I (MIA)
1978 Fender Acoustic (MIT)
Last edited by 68 Tele at May 26, 2008,
Quote by LD_Luke D
hey what key is the star spangled banner (original) (frances scott keyes) in?
and what scales/keyes can i use to improv with it? thanks in advance for your posts.
If memory serves and for what it's worth, the official Navy version is in Bb. I think the other services play it in that key also.
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.