just built this neck for my explorer build. It turned out great but I cant help but notice that the headtock is a bit different than the usual guitar. Have a look and let me know if it looks strong enough. I dont want to get the whole thing done and have the headstock snap off when I put on the strings!

My gear!
ESP LTD M-100FM
Custom RR style Flying V
Custom ESP Explorer (in the making!)
Vox AD30VT
Dunlop Crybaby, Deltalab Md-1, rd 1, Morley optical Volume
I don't know much in this field, but imo you shouldnt have a problem. Good job too, looks nice.
looks good. the part you sanded/cut away where the pegs go should be NO LESS than .5''

atleast, thats what i keep in mind when making a guitar. that type of headstock is stronger than an angled headstock by far, unless its scarfed properly.

when you build a headstock like that... the tension isnt pulling like it does on an angled head stock. the tension is in a straight line.
Should be plenty strong enough, its like a strat or tele. Looks a little wierd from the back, carve the neck into the headstock a little more and neaten it up and it'll be fine
^ Don't those have carbon fiber rods in them?
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
thanks everybody and I will tidy up the back of the headstock today!
My gear!
ESP LTD M-100FM
Custom RR style Flying V
Vox AD30VT
yeah, It should be OK, i would say. I mean, see those locking nuts you get that bolt through the neck? They look like an accident waiting to happen in my oppinion. especially since they put them on shred guitars that already have angled headstocks and really thin necks...

(i'm not an experienced luthier in any way shape or form, by the way)
Last edited by jimRH7 at May 26, 2008,
^^ I am going to be putting on a hardtail, so I wont need a locking nut.
My gear!
ESP LTD M-100FM
Custom RR style Flying V
Vox AD30VT