Okay, I know a guitar inside and out, but I'm an amp noob.

The one I am playing on right now gives me a very good sound, it is a Peavey Renown 212 Solo series. I don't know the wattage or anything like that, and I can't find any information on it online. It was a hand-me down from my uncle.

Anyways, It has all these functions that I don't know how to use to do different things.
It has gain, reverb, equilization knobs, but no master volume knob.

Up until recently, I was just greatful to have a half decent amp, but now I want to know how to actually use it effectively.

Like I said, this is embarrasing, but I just don't know the first thing about amps, but I could tell you every little detail of a guitar.
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
The best way to know what the settings do is to experiment with them.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
the equalization knobs adjust your levels. like, if you want a deeper, softer sound, turn up the bass, and maybe turn down the treble. also, gain gives the amp the distortion, and reverb makes it sound like you're playing in a hall, like an echo in simple terms. as for no master volume knob, cant help you there
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
Thanks, I feel pretty stupid asking about this stuff, but no one has ever really explained it to me before.

It has different sets of knobs:

[Lead Gain]
Pull Bright
Saturation
[Equilization]
low
mid
pull thick
presence

[Normal Gain]
Pull Bright
[Equilization]
Low
Paramio
Shift
High

the [] words are the categories, and the lists are the knobs, each go from 0 to 10.

Why does it have 2 of each? and would someone explain which does what?
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Last edited by Spartan070sarge at May 25, 2008,