Alright, ever since I started torrenting, uTorrent has always had that little triangle with an "!" inside of it, telling me that a firewall may be blocking incoming connection, or a port may not be open. After a little test, it turns out I have no open ports.

I sniffed around the main computer today. My setup is: a main computer upstairs, with what I believe to be either a router or hub attached to it, and a modem. I'm also hooked up to this computer, and I get my internet from it. If that computer turns off, I loose my internet. I was sniffing around to find out what the name and model of my router hub thing is to try and open a port for uTorrent. I have a Linksys NH105, which I've had for as long as I can remember. My dad always referred to it as a hub, but I don't know whether it's a hub or router. Until today, I'd thought my modem was my router.

Anyways, since my router/hub is so old, PortForward doesn't have an article on how to forward ports on it, and I don't know whether I even can, because Googleing left me with nothing.

So I have a few questions:

1. What EXACTLY is port forwarding? Is there a difference between opening and forwarding a port? If all my ports are closed, how is uTorrent even getting 1 kb/s?

2. What's the difference between a router and a hub?

3. What's the difference between a modem and a router/hub?

4. Is it possible to open/forward a port on such an old router/hub thing?

Thanks in advance.

PS In case you're confused as to what I'm refering to when I'm talking about my hub/router thing and modem because I might not know why I'm talking about, here are pics:

Router/Hub thing (looks exactly like this)
Modem (looks exactly like this).
Quote by Thornography
1. What EXACTLY is port forwarding? Is there a difference between opening and forwarding a port? If all my ports are closed, how is uTorrent even getting 1 kb/s?

2. What's the difference between a router and a hub?

3. What's the difference between a modem and a router/hub?

4. Is it possible to open/forward a port on such an old router/hub thing?

1. Port forwarding is basically the same as opening a port, I think. Having the port open is for seeding, not downloading.

2. A router only sends packets to the computer it needs to go to. A hub sends it to every computer. Routers are smart, hubs are dumb. The reason you have to leave the PC to have interent on the other one is because when you have a hub, you have to use one PC as an internet gateway. You don't have to with a router.

3. A modem is what allows you to connect to the internet. A router/hub is for networking computers and other devices together.

4. If it is blocking it, there is a way to open it.
Last edited by Masonpwiley at May 26, 2008,