At this point in my life, I own a Squier P-Bass and a Fender Rumble 15. I graduate this year, and my mom said she would either get me a new bass or amp, which is my dilemma. If I got a bass, I could get one for about $800. I currently have no need to spend that much on an amp, so I would obviously get a cheaper one. While I am aware that a new amp would improve my tone, I do not know when I will be in an appropriate financial situation to purchase a new bass. I will have enough money for a decent amp far before I will have enough for a decent bass. Advice?
you should buy a better amp.
A good amp can make your P Bass sound amazing
With a bad amp though, not even a $5000 warwick will sound that great.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
amp. you can play a Squier with a drummer, but 15 watts will get you nowhere with anyone (except an acoustic).
plus, someone else buy you instrument=fail.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Normally, I would say amp. But given this situation, I'd say get the bass.

However, make sure she's willing to spend that much.
As said above. Get a new Amp.
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
new amp for sure
unless your bass is in really bad shape
but if you can play it with no problem then new amp
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Quote by WhoArt?
At this point in my life, I own a Squier P-Bass and a Fender Rumble 15. I graduate this year, and my mom said she would either get me a new bass or amp, which is my dilemma. If I got a bass, I could get one for about $800. I currently have no need to spend that much on an amp, so I would obviously get a cheaper one. While I am aware that a new amp would improve my tone, I do not know when I will be in an appropriate financial situation to purchase a new bass. I will have enough money for a decent amp far before I will have enough for a decent bass. Advice?

Get an amp.

Also consider that you might want to play in a band eventually, cause bassists are always sought after.
So 800$ can get you a really nice rig (Head + Cab) that you can gig with. Aim at something around 300 W.
Or get this... http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Markbass-Mini-CMD-121P-300500W-1x12-Bass-Combo?sku=481792
That's the best sounding combo I've ever played, plus it's incredibly loud at 400W.

I'm still waiting to play a Glockenklang Combo one day, you never see them sitting around at the store though cause they're expensive as sin. (for those of you who don't know it: http://www.glockenklang.com/en/products/bass_systems/passenger.htm)
Last edited by alreadygone at May 26, 2008,
If shes willing to spend 800$ on a bass then surely shes willing to spend that much period. Why dont you just try for about a 400$ and a 400$ bass. That way you have no dilemma. Im sure you can find a decent one of both for that much. Thats what I'd try to do.
i started off with the same gear, did you get the sqier package? i went for a new bass n got a mexican jazz, in my opinion the fender rumble amps sound pretty good and you'll find a better bass so much easier to play trust me
Quote by 20cdndollars
Quote by yurfinlfntsy
I HAVE to wear my kilt every Thursday...

I'm not sure why, though.

Me too!
We should start a support group.
i reckon spend about half of that on a good amp that will last u a while nd then just pocket the rest nd sav up for a better bass
used mexican jazz for 200 or so dollors new amp for 600 or so dolllors
get a mim fender jazz bass and a fender rumble 100

i think that fits your budget and it keeps you with familiar equipment

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by Cubertt
used mexican jazz for 200 or so dollors new amp for 600 or so dolllors

i'm agreeing with these guys. you can get a very decent used bass amp for $600, and a good used MIM jazz can be had for $250 or $300, sell your Squier for $150, and you're there. a good bass, through a 15w amp, is just sad. good luck!