Poll: Metal or Heavy Metal?
Poll Options
View poll results: Metal or Heavy Metal?
I call it Metal
40 74%
I call it Heavy Metal
5 9%
I call it whatever I want thank you very much.
9 17%
Voters: 54.
Page 1 of 2
Is it just me or does anyone not like the use of the term "Heavy Metal" when describing the "Metal" genre as a whole?
To me Heavy Metal is a subgenre describing the NWOBHM type bands. The genre we all know and love is what I like to call "Metal".
It's interchangable for me. Sometimes I call the genre metal, other times, I call is heavy metal.
Quote by severed-metal

You're losing interest because you're simply not gay enough. Which leads me to believe you aren't cut out for metal.
I agree with you, but I don't see it fitting. NWOBHM aren't as near as heavy as somethign like Electric Wizard, per se, so why don't we call stoner or sludge, heavy metal? Who knows?
In truth, at the time those were the heaviest bands in metal at the time so they garnered the name. But metal is much more devided so "Heavy" generally applies to the pore late 70's and 80's metal.

Member Q-Tron of the EHX Users Guild
I just say Metal. Normally when talking about Metal I talk about Sub-Genres or individual bands.
Quote by rhymeswith suck
I agree with you, but I don't see it fitting. NWOBHM aren't as near as heavy as somethign like Electric Wizard, per se, so why don't we call stoner or sludge, heavy metal? Who knows?
In truth, at the time those were the heaviest bands in metal at the time so they garnered the name. But metal is much more devided so "Heavy" generally applies to the pore late 70's and 80's metal.

Yeah, I don't know, Heavy Metal just doesn't really make much sense IMO.
what the hell is NWOBHM? id assume its like, new wave of something or other metal...
Quote by Big Floyd
what the hell is NWOBHM? id assume its like, new wave of something or other metal...

New Wave of British Heavy Metal. I hope you don't consider yourself a metal head. It was one of the biggest movements in the genre's history.
Quote by severed-metal

You're losing interest because you're simply not gay enough. Which leads me to believe you aren't cut out for metal.
Quote by Big Floyd

New Wave of British Heavy Metal. Such as Priest/Maiden
Metal

because all the non metal-listening people aat my school cal it heavy metal

They called the intro of Thriller by FOB Hevay Metal

(shudder)
Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
I don't know anyone else in real life who listens to enough metal to be picky about subgenres, so I tend to just say heavy metal, or sometimes just metal, when referring to anything from Sabbath to Killswitch (I'm not going to bother explaining to people why a bunch of internet nerds don't consider metalcore "real" metal) to Meshuggah.
Quote by LegionsOfDeath
NWoBHM isnt a genre

U r so smrt n u liek metlle.

Umm...I say metal by the way. I think saying "heavy metal" is redundant.
I've found Jesus
For the whole expansive genre, I say metal.

But I'd more often be talking about a specific subgenre i.e. death, black, power, prog, doom etc.

So I'd say "I like Folk Metal" or something.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
The fact that you are debating the differentiation of a phrase as redundant as it is is why I simultaneously hate and love the metal community.

Begone from whence you came.
if you have belief in ur soul and jesus you can do anything
I usually just say metal even though my favorite type of metal is Heavy Metal.
i just say metal mostly... at least i think.
but there is so many different kinds of metal that i
usually talk about a sub genre.
IMO heavy metal refers to troo metalz and metal just refers to 'false' metal
Quote by Serpeth
Sometimes I take all my clothes off and pretend I'm a velociraptor and pounce upon my roommate's desk as would a ferocious bloodthirsty velociraptor, knocking over his lamp with my semi-erect penis. And then I drink apple juice.
Quote by Towner_45

You're an idiot as well. What does that even mean?
if you have belief in ur soul and jesus you can do anything
Quote by greety
The fact that you are debating the differentiation of a phrase as redundant as it is is why I simultaneously hate and love the metal community.

Begone from whence you came.

Love you too greety
Quote by LegionsOfDeath
NWoBHM isnt a genre

You fail.
Quote by Towner_45

And you too.
i believe metal has kinda shifted from style to style over the years. heres my view.

hair metal-def leppard, twisted sister-70s
heavy angry reject punk-the misfits-late 70's-early 80's
heavy metal-metallica, megadeth-early 80's-90's
rap-metal/hate-metal-limp bizkit, korn, dope-90's
nu-metal-SOAD, disturbed, static-x- late 90's-today
speed metal-trivium, atreyu, bullet for my valentine-2005ish-today

then theres a lot of new stuff that im not gonna get into cuz ill get flamed for mis-genreficating them. but i guess a lot of its usually death, gore, grind, and really just pissed-off-teenagers-who-scream-so-their-parents-cant-understand-their-violent-lyrics stuff...
yeah...
Quote by whosamerica
i believe metal has kinda shifted from style to style over the years. heres my view.

then theres a lot of new stuff that im not gonna get into cuz ill get flamed for mis-genreficating them. but i guess a lot of its usually death, gore, grind, and really just pissed-off-teenagers-who-scream-so-their-parents-cant-understand-their-violent-lyrics stuff...
yeah...

What the hell are you talking about?
Quote by Magero
Love you too greety

You fail.

And you too.

Why do I fail??????
Quote by Serpeth
Sometimes I take all my clothes off and pretend I'm a velociraptor and pounce upon my roommate's desk as would a ferocious bloodthirsty velociraptor, knocking over his lamp with my semi-erect penis. And then I drink apple juice.
Quote by Magero
What the hell are you talking about?

oops... looks like i got off topic.... just classifying some different metal-related genres. i figure upon reading this your gonna blow a load of "you have no idea what you're talking about" all over the place.... ill just stand back....
I consider heavy metal to be a separate subgenre of metal in general, so it makes sense for me to say metal.
Quote by whosamerica
oops... looks like i got off topic.... just classifying some different metal-related genres. i figure upon reading this your gonna blow a load of "you have no idea what you're talking about" all over the place.... ill just stand back....

You figured right.
You have no clue what the hell you're talking about.
Get out of my metal forum.
Quote by Towner_45
Why do I fail??????

"Heavy metal refers to Tr00 metal and metal just refers to false metal"?
Fail.
Quote by Magero
You figured right.
You have no clue what the hell you're talking about.
Get out of my metal forum.

haha.... alright. i'll spare myself the agony of educating a simple mind such as yours and leave.... Mr. breeboss. lol. fag.
Quote by whosamerica
haha.... alright. i'll spare myself the agony of educating a simple mind such as yours and leave.... Mr. breeboss. lol. fag.

Oh no, I'm being called simple minded by the guy who called Atreyu speed metal.
^ troo metal is metal such as thrash, death, power, black, NWOBHM etc and false metal is 'metal' such as metalcore and Nu-Metal, geez don't you guys know that???
Quote by Serpeth
It's interchangeable. I usually call it metal because it takes less time to say/type.
Quote by whosamerica

yeah...

You were doing good until you classified Atreyu and BFMV as Speed Metal. That's a no-no here, buddy.
DETHKLOK IS TEH ROXORZ!!!
Quote by Towner_45
^ troo metal is metal such as thrash, death, power, black, NWOBHM etc and false metal is 'metal' such as metalcore and Nu-Metal, geez don't you guys know that???

Don't we know facts you're making up on the spot?
No, no we don't.
Metal is all genres of metal. As in ALL genres. It's the genre name. Like pop, or rap.
"Metal" does not mean "false metal". It means all of the sub-genres, you ignorant twat. Heavy metal is a specific sub-genre that includes bands like Black Sabbath, Black Label Society, etc.

Just because the mainstream media calls Trivium "metal" doesn't mean that the entire idea behind metal changes aswel.

Now learn your metal or get out.
Alright, Stop being flamefags
Quote by whosamerica

Either you're a troll or a n00b, either way, get off mah metuhl forum.
Quote by Rhyan_EG
New Wave of British Heavy Metal. I hope you don't consider yourself a metal head. It was one of the biggest movements in the genre's history.

I think it's the lingo that threw him off. I really wish people on the internet would drop these damn acronyms and type things out.
What the fuck is this stupid thread
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Quote by Magero
Any true metal head would understand what NWOBHM means....

NEW WAVE OF BRITISH HEAVY FUCKIN METAL!!!

And I'll be damned if I don't love it.

Magero, did I ever tell you how much I love you?
Page 1 of 2