Is thumb pain normal? . . .

I've been experiencing thumb pain since I started playing guitar a few years ago. I can't seem to figure out if its the way I'm holding the guitar, or if the neck just isn't right for my hand? I've been through 4 different guitars, but the pain just won't go away.

So far, my guitars have been :

POS $100 guitar I got from Ebay.

Johnson Acoustic

Ibanez RG 170

Ibanez ART 100

Like I said before. . . I don't know if its the guitars, or the way I play, but my thumb hurts like hell when I play. Especially barr chords. Any helpfull tips or anything would be greatly appreciated.
Make sure you're not playing with hitch hiker's thumb, ie having your thumb flat and parallel with the neck.
If it's where your thumb meets your palm it's pretty normal. Does it ahppen when you play shortly or long periods of time?
Quote by captainbigwave
If it's where your thumb meets your palm it's pretty normal. Does it ahppen when you play shortly or long periods of time?

Normal? Any sort of pain in your hand unless your beginning guitar isn't normal, unless you have crap technique.

Or have some sort of medical issue...
Loosen yourself up.
I used to have the same problem until I retrained myself to loosen every joint up.
Signatures are overrated.
Quote by T!AN
Normal? Any sort of pain in your hand unless your beginning guitar isn't normal, unless you have crap technique.

Or have some sort of medical issue...

I'd say it's pretty damn normal, when I play for 4 hours straight on a fat ass neck. And I play with heavy gauges so I have to apply more pressure which in turn hurts my thumb any way I hold it.
Make sure that you're not applying pressure with the tip of your thumb, it should be flat. Also, try to play as relaxed as possible. It should feel natural.
D:
Signature.