I've realized that it is a very complex music form, and studying it is great for improving your improv and ovreall skills as the guitar, I've been trying to learn more about it and just wanted to know what artists you would recommend me, not only guitar-wise (tho those are the ones I would like to hear the most about, obviously) but also in a more general aspect, or some true/classic jazz stuff, like, something hardcore fans of the genre would love, thanks, UG!!!
Gear:
Ibanez RG121
Ibanez GTA15R Amp
red Allegro nylon-strung acoustic of unkown model

Quote by Mechanix

We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

^
Last edited by Jastul at May 26, 2008,
For Jazz, there are three genres you should know:

Dixieland: Basically, the lead section is made up of polyphonic improvisation(Usually clarinet, trumpet, or trombone, occasionally tuba or baritone) while guitar, upright bass, banjo, and or piano make up a rhythm section. Average band size is anywhere from 5-10 players. It originated in New Orleans in the Early 1900s as a hybrid of ragtime and blues. It sounds somewhat chaotic, but melodic as well.

Example: Louis Armstrong

You can't learn about jazz without knowing about Louis Armstrong.

Swing: Very Composed in nature, big band style of music. Became the definitive music of the 1920s-1930s. Very little improvisation goes on, and the music is designed more for dancing than for listening. The lead section is made up of trumpet, trombone, clarinet, as well as the saxophone. Rhythm was usually made of guitar, banjo, and piano. Notable Figures, Duke Ellington, Benny Goodman.

Example: Duke Ellington and his band
Duke Ellington is one of the most important composers of the twentieth century.

Bebop: An antithesis to the commercialized swing music which originated in the 1940s. Extremely complex music that relied heavily on improvisation based on chords. The band was usually a small group of about five musicians. Most modern forms of jazz: Cool Jazz, Free Jazz, Fusion, stc. has its origins in Bebop. Notable Figures: Charlie Parker, Miles Davis, Dizzy Gillespie, Thelonious Monk.

Example: Charlie Parker

This particular video shows Chuck in his later, not-so-glorious days, but he was still a great improviser and musician.

This is an incredibly basic overview of the world of jazz, but hopefully it will get you started on the right foot.
I'll play it and tell you what it is later.
-Miles Davis
Last edited by FlyinHigh26 at May 26, 2008,
Blues and Jazz Forum matey, you will get a lot of help there.

Mile Davis' Kind Of Blue and In A Silent Way is a good place to start. Jazz is an extremely broad genre and as many people will tell you, listen to as much of it as possible.
Guitar wise, look at the stuff that Medeski, Martin, and Wood did with John Scofield. Also some of John Mclaughlin's stuff with many of the groups he's played with, they're all good. Those are the two that I think you'd like most.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)