hey guys, just curious what all your thoughts are of the EMG-H4 passive pickups available.. i was thinking of throwing a few of these babies on my epiphone custom black beauty to replace the 3 stock epiphone humbuckers it already has, as im after a more metal sound without going to active pickups.. cheers!
Don't you dare defile that guitar with EMG passives.
Get some SD's or Dimarzios or something.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
seymour duncan "black outs"
Setup

Ibanez SZ320
Randall RD75
EHX METAL MUFF
Mesa boogie single recto series 2
Line 6 Toneport
Mesa boogie single recto series 1
Digitech GNX4
^He said he didn't want to go active.

SD and Dimarzio has a wide selection of passive pickups, which one is bound to suit your needs. Since your guitar holds 3 humbuckers, perhaps go for 3 different models to give a really wide tonal palette?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
EMG passive pickups are without a doubt the worst pickups I've ever used.

Undefined and muddy as hell.

HZs (H4) in my Jackson were horrible, especially compared to the active EMGs and the Selects in my Strat were complete crap.

Buy some real passives.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I have them in my Mocking Bird, and they are OK, not great, not horrible, just average. I would suggest SD or DiMarzio, or if you are on a budget, Guitar Fetish has soem good, cheap pickups.
Eyes
Quote by woodenbandman
My dear man, I must petition you for photographic evidence, or the described events cannot be verified, and will be written off as fallacy.
The best EMG HZ passives are the older ones from late 90's-early 00's. These ones have exposed pole pieces and are the passive equivelent to the 81/85 set. I've compared them numerous times. These are warmer, with a more natural break up and have a bit less output than the actives.

It's the newer ones that aren't good, with no pole pieces exposed.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
So ok you gotta help me there... i have a cort evl k-4 which has stock emg hz h4 s on it and a roland micro cube amp... i like my pickups but if i change it to something like di marzio or seymour duncan will it make better sound really? if it will really change something i can change me pickups and i will really need help on this...
Dimarzio D Activators. Now.

Seriously though, EMG makes god- awful passives. D Activators, SD Invader, or maybe a Dimarzio X2N are where it's at.
those are all passive? and why are these emg passives are that bad. will it make really noticable sound difference? im happy with the distortion of the emg and the clean of it yes maybe it could be a bit better but not bad for a 400 dollar guitar where all the guitars in my country are 2x the price USA... so which one would be best for good metal tones and not bad cleans?(not that i clean songs but it would be great if its as good as emgs...)
Quote by blind.quardian
those are all passive? and why are these emg passives are that bad. will it make really noticable sound difference? im happy with the distortion of the emg and the clean of it yes maybe it could be a bit better but not bad for a 400 dollar guitar where all the guitars in my country are 2x the price USA... so which one would be best for good metal tones and not bad cleans?(not that i clean songs but it would be great if its as good as emgs...)

EMG's passives sound like everything that's bad about active pickups without any of their benefits, to be perfectly honest. They're sterile, get muddy, and are just "meh", compared to other high- output passives.
So which passive pickup will be the best the dimarzios and sds? and also i have to ask again that will it really make some difference in a setup with a mediocre guitar and a small practice amp a micro cube?
Quote by blind.quardian
So which passive pickup will be the best the dimarzios and sds? and also i have to ask again that will it really make some difference in a setup with a mediocre guitar and a small practice amp a micro cube?

It'll make somewhere between a small and a moderate difference. Upgrade your amp first.

As for which is better, that's all up to preference.
So i can go a bit further without any upgrades then... im new to guitar its been like 5 months and i only think about buying a good amp when i deserve some good stuff... im thinking about buying a randall rg50tc.. what you think about that amp?
It's good, not great. I'd try and get something nicer used... 5150/6505, Mesa F30 or Mark IV, etc... I'm assuming you play metal?
Yea i play metal ( i hope it will stay so in near future:P ) i live in turkey and i dont have everything i want under my hand with good price... we dont have all the products in my country and the prices are 2x of the us prices so i'll look for them maybe... and btw thanks for all your answers
hmm i dont know much about them and i dont think i can find them here. and also when there are pickups i know like dimarzio and seymour i dont think i will buy them