Page 1 of 2
Hey, I'm sixteen and in my first band (hard rock/metal). We're playing our first gig and my drummer said, "You haven't even thought about what your going to wear have you?" I looked at him like he was stupid (which he is lol).

In my opinion metal shouldn't be about how you look. I have long hair and I usually just wear tennis shoes, blue jeans, and a band t-shirt. They said don't wear blue jeans. I mean, it's not necessary to wear all black and have spikes and leather and whatever else. Bands like Slayer and old Metallica just wore their everyday clothes right. It shouldn't matter.

My philosophy is that I should look the same in Wal-Mart or on stage; I shouldn't dress different. What does everyone else think? Should I listen to my drummer or say **** you and just wear blue jeans and a metal band shirt.
blue jeans and a black band shirt IS metal.
ADD MY -CORE BAND!
www.myspace.com/efakaz

GEARx
Ibanez RG2EX1
Peavey 5150 II
ISP Decimator

Quote by T Man Prime
Ok everyone, who do you think is the heaviest band? Personally I think As I Lay Dying is the heaviest
Quote by octavarium78
blue jeans and a black band shirt IS metal.

yeah, that's what I thought lol... I'm really the only metalhead in the group .... I mean they like Metallica and stuff but I'm the only one into heavier stuff like Morbid Angel, Death, Mayhem, Burzum, Obituary, Celtic Frost, etc. Maybe that's why we disagree lol
Whatever you wear normally all the way, you'll feal more comfortable. Don't listen to your drummer mine told me to wear face paint!
Other Bands Play...
Manowar Kill!
you should wear:

slimy atheletic shorts: so you can run fast all over stage and essentially kick arse
band shirt: something abscure and written in funny text that no-ONE can read
beat up shoes: beat up means you live on the edge, and dont spend money on shoes
k thxs everyone... pretty much what I thought... next band practice I'll tell them all to **** off lol...
so they're going to play metallica and wear black leather and spikes?

ADD MY -CORE BAND!
www.myspace.com/efakaz

GEARx
Ibanez RG2EX1
Peavey 5150 II
ISP Decimator

Quote by T Man Prime
Ok everyone, who do you think is the heaviest band? Personally I think As I Lay Dying is the heaviest
When I played with my old thrash metal band, I usually dressed up like Destruction on the cover of Sentence of Death.

-black spandex pants
-bullet belts across chest and waist
-leather jacket
-spiked gauntlets.

It doesn't matter, though. There's nothing wrong with dressing up. I wouldn't paint your face or anything like that.
Wear whatever. But remember that those 'magic clothes' don't play your music for you. You do.
What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.
Quote by metal Lover
When I played with my old thrash metal band, I usually dressed up like Destruction on the cover of Sentence of Death.

-black spandex pants
-bullet belts across chest and waist
-leather jacket
-spiked gauntlets.

It doesn't matter, though. There's nothing wrong with dressing up. I wouldn't paint your face or anything like that.

Wear do you even get that stuff?

I look FAR from metal, besides the black jeans and band tees.

EDIT: I was so HAPPY to be the only person at Progressive Nation here in Vancouver with a HammerFall shirt.
Last edited by Avedas at May 26, 2008,
Quote by Avedas
Wear do you even get that stuff?

I made the gauntlet myself. This kid gave me a huge bullet belt that I made into two belts. The pants are my dad's from his early years. Jacket is self explanatary
Image isn't important unless you're a black metal band... Since image is practically a necessity in black metal. If a band's sound is good, I wouldn't care how they dressed.

Metal is about not conforming anyway so what's the point of giving a **** about how you look?
I've never played a metal show, but I don't even have those clothes, nor do I want them. Just wear whatever the hell you want.

BTW what does the drummer wear?
Whilst they're not "metal", Five Star Prison Cell's drummer wore underwear on stage and nothing else.

They were white...
And he was sweaty...

You don't need to dress up... but it is fun sometimes. When I played a Judas Priest song at my old school I got a leather jacket from the thrift store for $5 and studded the whole thing myself and I must say, I looked pretty Priesty. It was fun too.

A note though: leather jackets + lots of stage movement=very very hot (temperature wise).

Quote by The Virtuoso
Yes, you sir win the internet!

Quote by saphrax
To put it crudely, every hole is a goal.

Quote by Internal Chaos
Whilst they're not "metal", Five Star Prison Cell's drummer wore underwear on stage and nothing else.

They were white...
And he was sweaty...

Further justifies why you don't listen to your drummer about image consultation.
Bullet belts, leather (or denim) jackets with lots of patches, and weapons, gasmasks, tatts. look up Sadogoat, that's what I'm talkin bout
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Spikes.. Chains.. Bullets.. Leather.. Metalized Blood.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
+1 ^, shorts onstage actually keep me from sweating myself to death.
Quote by Ultraussie

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
Gotta have huge, bright pink cod-pieces.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Quote by unfathomable_bo
lol I wear shorts

I get hot

ololololololol That's because you are a Pom, and anything above 30*C will KILL YOU.
(joking )

But seriously, if you're Music requires a deeper need for a certain visual "look" to fit the theme and/or atmosphere, then yes it is important. But if it's just to make up for the band's lack of entertaining Music then it's a pose...
i once wore a dress at a gig... people took me less seriously than usual, which is quite impressive, really.

Also, wear whatever you want. Usually (when I'm not going through a transvestive moment) i just wear jeans and a t-shirt. and sweat bands - i know how you feel bo

Aw yeah.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
It really doesn't.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
Oh image is very important with metal. You're putting on a show for **** sake, you better look good.
^ I would say its just slightly more important that you play well, regardless of image.
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
image is like almost anything else, it can be a great bonus,but you don't need it. The first thing you need is good music, once you have that, everything else is extra. For instance: Behemoth has amazing music (yeah, i'm a gigantic Behemoth fanboy, sue me), and on stage they wear corpse paint and do crazy **** like rip up bibles. That makes their shows incredibly, visually as well as just the music. But if they just went out there and played kickass music, it would still be awesome. (You can change Behemoth for whatever your favorite band is) So while image is good, it's just a bonus. Also, if you go out there in corpse paint and ****, you'll look like a retard. (i'm assuming you're in a thrash band)
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
It really gets annoying when all people do is think about their image and then their playing suffers. Look at Muhammad of Necrophagist, he doesn't really look "metal." Yet, he's still one hell of a Tech. Death guitarist.
Just wear what your comfortable with. I was in a band a while back who had a big mouth type "manager" who thought he could tell everyone what to wear. He wanted all of us to have the same look. You know? Like the Beatles or some crap like that. I told him to screw off and that I wasn't going to wear some black tux or something stupid like that. A band, to me, is not about making it in the mainstream. I just want to play stuff I like and that's all.
DETHKLOK IS TEH ROXORZ!!!
Either dress up like the Locust:

or Ackercocke:

Seriously though; comfortable clothing is the way to go, there's nothing like being on stage and wearing something you're uncomfortable in. I did a show with a **** rock band and had to wear a fucking stupid suede waistcoat...I looked like an idiot and was shitting myself for most of the show.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at May 26, 2008,
Where whatever you feel looks kick ass.
Playing well is more important.
Well, if you look at death metal bands, they usually just play in some sweats or jeans and a T-Shirt. I would say that image is not important.
Page 1 of 2