Page 1 of 5
Who's for it? against it? a part if it?

I consider myself to be Straight Edge.
but yeah i'm not gonna shove my morals down your mouth.

For those who don't know what Straight Edge is.
It's pretty much a lifestyle that grew out of the punk scene in the late 80's where you don't do illegal drugs nor alcohol.
Good clean fun pretty much.

For more info wiki it before asking stupid questions please.

Discuss?
I love white guitars!
Yeah I suppose I'm straight edge, drinking seems pointless imo, illegal drugs seem bad, apart from marijuana to a certain extent.
███████
███████████
██████████████
███████████████
█████████████
███████████████
███████████
███████

Straight Edge is a fashion to me.

It goes hand in hand with the "HxC" Scene.

I don't Drink, do drugs, etc, but I don't embrace the whole SxE thing.
Who's for it? against it? a part if it?

I consider myself to be Straight Edge.
but yeah i'm not gonna shove my morals down your mouth.

For those who don't know what Straight Edge is.
It's pretty much a lifestyle that grew out of the punk scene in the late 80's where you don't do illegal drugs nor alcohol.
Good clean fun pretty much.

For more info wiki it before asking stupid questions please.

Discuss?

Sadly you the first self proclamed "straight edged" person Ive ever heard say that.

Im not straight edge, I drink and do soft drugs but I dont consider myself the dogs bollocks because of it.

I have no problem with straight edge people..... as long as they dont adapt a "holier than thou" attitude.
multicolour random messge!

FAC 13
"The hacienda must be rebuilt"
If it's your thing whatever I just don't get the people with the masses of 'Edge tattoo's because you really are ****ed if you change your views later in life, and its good that you don't shove your morals/ opinions down peoples throats, I know a couple of Edge people like that and they piss me right off.
seriously though, we have 100 threads on this every week, every day even, so USE THE SEARCH BAR!

I'm not gonna report you cos that makes me as bad as the authority I strive to rebel against.

Peace x
Quote by centorium

i love green day,sure they're mostly power cords but for begginer,good they are
Quote by PlayMadness
Spent too much time in the talk like Yoda thread, you have.

Quote by metal Lover
If you're under 21 you can't be straight edge.

That's called law abiding.

over hear its 18
Quote by metal Lover

Its got nothing to do with the law, its making a life-style choice to refrain from the drink, drugs and promiscuous sex. In case you haven't noticed, during your teenage years you experience the greatest amount of peer pressure to try those things. I claimed edge when I was 17, because I was sick of not being in control of myself when I drink.
Ha, in New Zealand your considered a saint if you don't get drunk when your 15, ive never met any young people who call themselves straight edge or anything like that, i dont think the fad has spread here yet. We do have hardcore catholics who are against drugs and alcohol though. Me, i love a drink, im not against drugs, but i choose not to do them. Then again i can legally drink because the drinking age is 18 here. Shame
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
To each their own. Everyone should do what they want. I myself am a drinker and i smoke every once in a blue moon.

LTD EX-351
Peavey 5150 head
Marshall 1960A
Boss NS-2 Noise Supressor
BBE 482i Sonic Maximizer
Quote by druz15_UG
Ha, in New Zealand your considered a saint if you don't get drunk when your 15, ive never met any young people who call themselves straight edge or anything like that, i dont think the fad has spread here yet. We do have hardcore catholics who are against drugs and alcohol though. Me, i love a drink, im not against drugs, but i choose not to do them. Then again i can legally drink because the drinking age is 18 here. Shame

I'm against drugs and alcohol and I'm an atheist New Zealand doesn't actually have a 'drinking age' only a purchase/supply age, but you're right, the de facto 'drinking age' is easily 15.
Quote by Fiddelers elbow
Sadly you the first self proclamed "straight edged" person Ive ever heard say that.

Im not straight edge, I drink and do soft drugs but I dont consider myself the dogs bollocks because of it.

I have no problem with straight edge people..... as long as they dont adapt a "holier than thou" attitude.

+10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001
Well, Jesus Christ, I'm not scared to die,

I'm a little bit scared of what comes after

Do I get the gold chariot?

Do I float through the ceiling?
Quote by metal Lover

In a way it is.
BUT!
90% of high school students have tried alcohol.
70% have tried cigarettes.
50% have tried illegal drugs.

So it doesn't really matter if your under age.
I love white guitars!
Quote by Kiwi Ace
I'm against drugs and alcohol and I'm an atheist New Zealand doesn't actually have a 'drinking age' only a purchase/supply age, but you're right, the de facto 'drinking age' is easily 15.

true, but then again, under 18s can't just have a drink wherever they want without their parents being present so there kind of is a law. Cops can bust kids at parties for drinking without adult supervision and **** like that. We have a pretty shocking drinking culture here though I must admit. I try not to be a part of it, but i still drink, if that makes sense
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
Quote by druz15_UG
true, but then again, under 18s can't just have a drink wherever they want without their parents being present so there kind of is a law. Cops can bust kids at parties for drinking without adult supervision and **** like that. We have a pretty shocking drinking culture here though I must admit. I try not to be a part of it, but i still drink, if that makes sense

Yea our binge drinking culture is terrible, I worry about the health effects we'll start to see in thirty years.
Quote by metal Lover

In a way it is.
BUT!
90% of high school students have tried alcohol.
70% have tried cigarettes.
50% have tried illegal drugs.

So it doesn't really matter if your under age.
I love white guitars!
I find it utterly redundant.
It's basically abstaining from fun.
Sure, you may just not want to do that stuff, but the whole straight edge thing is so pretentious.
You don't drink, no drugs, no sex.
Oh hi, your teenage self called, he says stop grounding him.
Straight edge isn't about bragging about it. I don't drink, neither do i smoke, yet i don't brag about it and i don't concider myself edge.

██ ██
██ ██
██ ██

Quote by loxer
Straight edge isn't about bragging about it. I don't drink, neither do i smoke, yet i don't brag about it and i don't concider myself edge.

+1 I think people need to not base there whole life around some stupid crap, just to be part of a group. Sure drink if you want, take drugs if you want but theres no need to catagorize yourself.

has no signature.
You start a thread bragging about being 'straight-edge' and you label it with a cannabis leaf?

Dicktard.
Quote by Aidy Damage
You start a thread bragging about being 'straight-edge' and you label it with a cannabis leaf?

Dicktard.

It's the most relevant label for it.
Straight Edge is about Drugs.
What better than a cannabis leaf?

so your saying if you started a thread about how bad GBush is and they had a pic of his face as a label you wouldn't use it?
I love white guitars!
I used to be straight edge, and I used to love it. Now I love being drunk and getting high. I changed. I stuck to it for about a year, but it just didn't feel like it was working out for me, because all it felt like was another label. Too many people use it as just that, a label. And I didn't want to keep constricting myself. About two months after I stopped claiming edge, I began to drink and smoke.

In short, it's just another label. I respect the people who are true, but I hate the ones who are just doing it to be cool. It's not for everyone; it was for me once, but not anymore.

The end, chapter of my life closed. It came hand in hand with some other pretty sh*tty experiences.
A U S S I E
Quote by Eat_0n_Kent
It's the most relevant label for it.
Straight Edge is about Drugs.
What better than a cannabis leaf?

so your saying if you started a thread about how bad GBush is and they had a pic of his face as a label you wouldn't use it?

Maybe I just generalise that little 1cmx1cm label with the threadstarter being a moronic pothead who can't even spell his own name.
Quote by Fiddelers elbow

Yeah, it's not often that. I did however have a friend who used to be an edge kid, they're not any more; but they couldn't give a damn if other arn't, which is good.

And no, i'm not straight edge at all; I don't do drugs simply because I cannot afford them (and my parents would eat me alive if I came home stoned); I do drink though and I do smoke.
You cannot choose the little time you're given in this world. You enter bare and unclothed, provided only with intelligence enough to choose how you spend your time. You always have a choice. Always. Though be warned, your choice can rarely be undone
Quote by Aidy Damage
Maybe I just generalise that little 1cmx1cm label with the threadstarter being a moronic pothead who can't even spell his own name.

Are you calling me Pot Head?
I think you are sadly mistaken?
I love white guitars!
Quote by garrett5
Straight Edge is a fashion to me.

It goes hand in hand with the "HxC" Scene.

I don't Drink, do drugs, etc, but I don't embrace the whole SxE thing.

That's exactly my views as well.

Also, I went to a local gig on Thursday night, it happened to be a scene, HxC, straight edge event. Afterwards, Bec and I were discussing how hypocritical it is.
They spoke about world peace and etc before songs, only to start screaming and kicking random strangers as some sort of "moshing."
Granted, when people ran into me, I was asked if I was okay by standers by, but you get what I'm saying.
Quote by metacarpi
t3gan? Coming to the UK?

*smooths mair and straightens shirt*

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
t3gan and Bec > Tegan and Sara.
Last edited by t3gan at May 26, 2008,
Quote by Eat_0n_Kent
Are you calling me Pot Head?
I think you are sadly mistaken?

I'm not saying you are, I'm just saying that the general consensus of people who use that icon are.
With the rest, I don't drink or do drugs but not into all the bands associated with the stereotype
you know you are on UG too much when you begin to recognise the threads that appear constantly, this is one. My good man, the searchbar is your friend.

I am not straight edge, but I respect people with that much discipline, seen as they are basically denying themselves fun. A lot of my favourite artists are straight edge, but a lot are also drink and drug abusers
MYSPACE
MYUG

Quote by lp_std
no idea but your avatar wins
Quote by Aidy Damage
I'm not saying you are, I'm just saying that the general consensus of people who use that icon are.

Truth being in that.

But let's just get this straight.
Most Straight Edgers aren't posers or anything.
If we wanted to be cool we'd go to parties get smashed and get laid all the time.
But we don't.
Because we've got better things to do apart from sitting around and sniffing glue.
Sure theres the minority that **** us up, but the majority of us are good people.
Straight Edge is about BROTHERHOOD
I love white guitars!
Last edited by Eat_0n_Kent at May 26, 2008,
Quote by t3gan
That's exactly my views as well.

Also, I went to a local gig on Thursday night, it happened to be a scene, HxC, straight edge event. Afterwards, Bec and I were discussing how hypocritical it is.
They spoke about world peace and etc before songs, only to start screaming and kicking random strangers as some sort of "moshing."
Granted, when people ran into me, I was asked if I was okay by standers by, but you get what I'm saying.

aww did someone get hurt in the mosh pit. If you are going to go to a gig like that, and stand at the front, you are going to be in the Mosh Pit. Suck it up and grow a pair. FYI being all for world peace and moshing does not make you a hypocrite, you just clearly don't understand
MYSPACE
MYUG

Quote by lp_std
no idea but your avatar wins
Eugh, the whole 'straight edge' thing annoys me. I mean, fair enough if you don't wanna drink/ /smoke etc, that's your call, but by making a label and such a big thing about it it just seems to me to create more of a divide between those who like a drink, and those who don't.

Fortunately though, I'm out of school now, and I've never heard of anyone being 'straight edge' at uni
FALKIRK

We'll win something someday

Quote by Minkaro
Falkirk is the home of runners up.

Check out my Tunes
Quote by Jackolas
It's just another label people can give each other/themselves.

Simple as that.

I think i clearly explained that above.
I love white guitars!
Quote by Eat_0n_Kent
I think i clearly explained that above.

Okay fine, I am just going by the ironic teenage girls with x's on their hands I know/knew.
Quote by CrowLord
aww did someone get hurt in the mosh pit. If you are going to go to a gig like that, and stand at the front, you are going to be in the Mosh Pit. Suck it up and grow a pair. FYI being all for world peace and moshing does not make you a hypocrite, you just clearly don't understand.

Local gig. One room, there was no way I could avoid the mosh pit. I was standing around the side, trying not to be hit when some HxC person shoves, kicked or punched another HxC into the innocent crowd of by standers.
And what I'm trying to say is that the bands that I saw spoke about not hurting people, world peace etc, then contradicted themselves by insisting we hit, kick and punch each other.
I do understand.
Quote by metacarpi
t3gan? Coming to the UK?

*smooths mair and straightens shirt*

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
t3gan and Bec > Tegan and Sara.
Yeah i'm straight edge and i'm gonna keep it that way. But i wouldn't say i'm straight edge just that i don't drink smoke or do drugs.
Quote by Jackolas
Okay fine, I am just going by the ironic teenage girls with x's on their hands I know/knew.

True, and the people who have X's on their guitars and don't know what it means just think it looks cool.
Morons.
I love white guitars!
Page 1 of 5