I'm bent on getting the Hellraiser, it's such a comfortable ****ing guitar. I'm in love with the damn thing, and the cut heel just gives me the greatest feeling!

Only issue is that I want to play every genre imaginable, metal, jazz, pop, funk, reggae, etc etc.

Now, active EMG's, to my knowledge, are only good for metal/hard rock. But these ones have coil taps, I haven't gotten enough time with the guitar, or a good amp (stupid MG setups) to determine whether these sound good clean, or even behave cleanly.

What are your opinions, can these pickups handle doing cleans?
Blackstar HT-5

Agile AL-2000 with Chrome Hardware
You're talking about the Schecter right? The Schecter hellraiser is a good guitar for hard rock and metal, but not so much for everything else. You might wanna check out the Schecter C-1 classic. It's just like the hellraiser except with premium Seymour Duncan humbuckers. I believe that the pickups are the only difference.
buy the guitar, sell the EMGs and buy some high output bareknuckles such as the warpig. Or miricle man which are meant to sound very EMG like, but will offer brilliant cleans, and a better distorted sound
Music is the holy grail, sod wine water and the blood of jesus
Ignore the previous two posts imo...
Sounds like they dont even know about the coil tap

I have no experience with it, sorry, but Im contemplating buying a Hellraiser as well
Go with the C-1 Classic. Better pickups!
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
I played it at GC the other day, I loved the cleans, they still have some VERY slight thickness to them which is great since most single coil pickups (on the bridge position) sound really thin, and even under heavy distortion, they sounded great and were still quiet, so the 89's good in my book.
I have active EMG's in my washburn (85 and 81) and if you use the neck pickup and you turn roll down the volume knob and tweak your eq a bit you can actually get a pretty decent jazz sound. If you turn the volume up again but not all the way you get a more punchy sound that is nice for blues leads. But it's just my opinion, everyone likes a different sound, so i suggest you just try out a guitar with EMG's and experiment with rolling the volume knob back.
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Morley PWA Pro Series Wah
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3

Tales of Ale: http://www.talesofale.com
They work very well for cleans, and for anything else for that matter. All you need to do is dial in the right settings and you're good.
So the general verdict on the Tapped EMG's is that they are good, and that it is a good investment, cause I'm in love with this ultra access heel. And the Classic doesn't have it, it has a regular heel.
Blackstar HT-5

i wouldnt try to use emgs for anything other than metal...you just dont get the sound or tone your looking for with them for anything else...passives imo are your best choice if you play multiple genres...
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Quote by bi-ah!
i wouldnt try to use emgs for anything other than metal...you just dont get the sound or tone your looking for with them for anything else...passives imo are your best choice if you play multiple genres...

Do you ****ing guys not listen or cant you just read?

HES TALKING ABOUT THE COIL TAPPED ONES and if you know at least a bit about them, you know that they are good clean
Quote by xFilth
Do you ****ing guys not listen or cant you just read?

HES TALKING ABOUT THE COIL TAPPED ONES and if you know at least a bit about them, you know that they are good clean

No worries man I'm used to this crap on UG, I just filter these people out usually if they choose not to read what I posted, but yes, I'm gonna go see if I can play the Hellraiser in an amp room for agood couple hours to make my own decision. I'm really liking this guitar.

Thanks though mates.
Blackstar HT-5

I tried the coil tapped ones on a Hellraiser just yesterday at GC. I was plugged into a Dual Recto. All I can say is WOW. The dual recto does not have the best clean channel, but the coil tapped 89 sounded wonderful. It had a high-end chime to it. I haven't the chance to try the 81 coil tapped though. Simply put, these pickups are very versatile and will certainly work for most genres, if not, "every genre imaginable." I am even considering buying the 2008 Hellraiser. I warn you though, don't just take my word that these pickups are great. You ought to try them out yourself. Your opinion is all that matters.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Coming Soon)
Ibanez RG350EX

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX

Digitech Bad Monkey
Danelectro Fish and Chips

Guitar Rig 3
I though only the EMG 89 could coil tap?
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by hminh87
I though only the EMG 89 could coil tap?

Actually, the 81 in the Hellraiser is an 81TW. The 81 does not coil tap, but the 81TW does.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Coming Soon)
Ibanez RG350EX

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX

Digitech Bad Monkey
Danelectro Fish and Chips

Guitar Rig 3