Hey Guys, I'm new at electric guitars, so when I see people talk about chord progression I have no idea what they are talking about... How does it work? I don't really understand what the numbers stands for, like 2-2-2-5-6-4-5 (i just wrote some numbers now). What is supposed to be played when it says something like that? And whatever it is it seems to be kind of good to know how to play it, so any good tips for learning it?Thanks in advanced, all help appreciated
Quote by nightraven
a chord progression is a series of chords you play during a piece. usually the melody goes on top of the chord progression. the chords used also help determine the key of the piece.

the numbers are a tab. for guitar, usually you'll see 6 lines on top of each other. the numbers show you what fret you want to use. 1 = the first fret starting from the headstock down, 2 = the one after that etc. if it's on the top line, you play that fret on the high E string (thinnest).

just practise learning simple songs and you'll get used to reading from tab.

hehe well I know how tabs works, it's not what i asked for :P but thanks anyway I can show what i mean from what i read on wikipedia, Example:
I - I - IV - V : for example the verse of 'Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)' by Green Day and the verse of Blitzkrieg Bop by The Ramones.

Wat do they mean by the 1-1-4-5? :S
The First chord in that scale, fourth and the fith
92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this.
The 1-1-4-5 is the relation of the chord to the key of the song. Each number represents what interval of the major scale the chord is built off. So in the key of C, the IV chord for example, will be a chord built off the 4th interval, in this case, F. If you don't understand this, you may want to learn and understand the Major scale, its intervals, and how it works - that kind of naturally leads onto chord progressions.
it shows the chord order that is played.

say it was in the key of C major.

I-C major
ii-D minor
iii-E minor
IV-F major
V-G major
vi-A minor
vii- B minor

hope this helped.

so a I-I-IV-V chord progression would be, in c major

CM-CM-FM-GM
dead easy man its pretty much been explained, but a chord progression is what the melody is based around really, for example sweet home alabama, the vocals are the melody and the individual notes played the guitar are broken chords, taken from the chord progression, that being Dmaj, Cadd9, G
schecter hellraiser c-1 FR custom w/ EMGs 81/85 and EMG-EXG expander
yamaha rbx170 4 string
peavey grind BXP NTB 4 string
jcm2000 dsl 50
1960a cab 4x12
roland micro cube 2w
electro harmonix double muff
zoom g2.1u
Quote by GuitarFreak1387
it shows the chord order that is played.

say it was in the key of C major.

I-C major
ii-D minor
iii-E minor
IV-F major
V-G major
vi-A minor
vii- B minor

hope this helped.

so a I-I-IV-V chord progression would be, in c major

CM-CM-FM-GM

Wouldn't it be vii - B dim (1-b3-b5)?