i love writing songs, anyway, i like harmonising and stuff.
fo course i already know about the 3rd harmonies that are used alot in metalcore and whatnot, and i also know about the 5th harmonies that bands like Bodom tend to use alot. i am getting bored of just using these, are there any other types that can be used, and sound good?
thanks
*EDIT* i forgot, of course i know about octaves aswell.
I read that 3rds, 5ths, 6ths and octaves are most common. Also, with all due respect, try posting this in the Musicians Talk forum. Or search around there, there are a lot of helpful people in there that are able to tell you all about this.
Quote by Jehuty
I read that 3rds, 5ths, 6ths and octaves are most common.

Yeah, that's what I was about to say.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Yeah, go ask in Musician Talk, you'll get a lot more (intelligent) replies there. Most of the replies you get here will be something along the lines of the lulwut pear.
sig goes here
Lulwut
Quote by dubstar92
Sparks92 is made of win

Member #26 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club.
PM stepco12345 to join!

Last edited by Sparks92 : Tomorrow at 13:37 AM.
There are only 11 possible harmonies. Why not try them all out yourself?
I'm a communist. Really.
Quote by Raziel2p

Not on a fretless.

Endless possibilities!
harmonizing in 2nds and 7ths will sound quite dissonant (unless you make the 7th part of a larger chord, by including the third and the fifth.) Try quartal (4ths) harmony as well. 4ths and 5ths are good for getting a primitive, perhaps middle-eastern sound.
try the perfect 4th, and try the tritone.
My Gear:
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat
Vox AD30VT
Big Muff Pi.
Quote by Raziel2p

Karl Sanders and Steve Vai disagree.
Quote by flipthatchicken
i love writing songs, anyway, i like harmonising and stuff.
fo course i already know about the 3rd harmonies that are used alot in metalcore and whatnot, and i also know about the 5th harmonies that bands like Bodom tend to use alot. i am getting bored of just using these, are there any other types that can be used, and sound good?
thanks
*EDIT* i forgot, of course i know about octaves aswell.

Harmonising?

Harmonising?

HARMONISING!
RULE BRITANNIA
You could use 6ths and 4ths, which are essentially inverted 3rds and 5ths respectively. 2nds or 7ths will probably not sound good unless you're doing something with extended chords, and even then it's questionable. Another thing you might want to do is harmonize by chord tones instead of just intervals. For instance, a melody that goes (C)E C G E (G)D B G D (Am)C C A C (F)F F E C(the parenthesis items being the chords), it can be arguably better harmonized (C)G E C G (G)G D B G (Am)E E C E (F)A A G E, each chord tone harmonized a chord tone up.

Also, this is Musician Talk material.
I only tend to use thirds. However, imagine it like this.

You come up with the lick you want to harmonise, yeah? You would play that, then a 3rd or whatever over it. Instead, play the 3rd and 5th harmonies together over your rhythm riff. So, as if you had a 3 layer harmony and got rid of the "original", make sense?

It sounds great, trust me.