i love writing songs, anyway, i like harmonising and stuff.
fo course i already know about the 3rd harmonies that are used alot in metalcore and whatnot, and i also know about the 5th harmonies that bands like Bodom tend to use alot. i am getting bored of just using these, are there any other types that can be used, and sound good?
thanks
*EDIT* i forgot, of course i know about octaves aswell.
sixths and fourths... But they would generally sound the same as thirds and fifths, as they are the inverse, so to speak, intervals.
EDIT: try not to use second/seventh intervals. They're not too nice sounding and are ridiculously un-stable

Generally I only use thirds. I try not to use fifths, as it de-individualises the instruments, using harmonic fifth intervals doesnt really let each instrument stand out.
Last edited by demonofthenight at May 26, 2008,
Quote by demonofthenight
sixths and fourthst... But they would generally sound the same as thirds and fifths, as they are the inverse, so to speak, intervals.

Generally I only use thirds. I try not to use fifths, as it de-individualises the instruments, using harmonic fifth intervals doesnt really let each instrument stand out.

yea i get what you mean, it would basically just sound like a power chord.
anyway, heres what i mean, it just sounds a bit boring.
Attachments:
the thing.zip
Quote by flipthatchicken
yea i get what you mean, it would basically just sound like a power chord.
anyway, heres what i mean, it just sounds a bit boring.
Its not that it would sound boring, just that I feel theres little point in it. Any song, if arranged/performed right can sound interesting.

But If you added another a second instrument to the song, and made it play a perfect fifth harmony with the other guy/girl/trap playing that same instrument, I'd be suprised if anyone in the audience notticed that they werent playing the same thing. Not like diatonic thirds though.

But IMO, harmonising in fifths is better than not harmonising at all and having two melody instruments play the exact same thing.

And theres nothing wrong with powerchords, obviously dont like punk?
From your thread in the pit:

You could use 6ths and 4ths, which are essentially inverted 3rds and 5ths respectively. 2nds or 7ths will probably not sound good unless you're doing something with extended chords, and even then it's questionable. Another thing you might want to do is harmonize by chord tones instead of just intervals. For instance, a melody that goes (C)E C G E (G)D B G D (Am)C C A C (F)F F E C(the parenthesis items being the chords), it can be arguably better harmonized (C)G E C G (G)G D B G (Am)E E C E (F)A A G E, each chord tone harmonized a chord tone up.

I'd like to add, don't use perfect fifths/fourths in a pretty diatonic setting. They're definitely more suited for metal, maybe jazz, that kinda thing. If anything, use diatonic fourths/fifths, but the trouble with that is you'll get a lot of tritones.
consider having two lines moving against each other, each with its own direction and line, but forming effective and pleasing harmony with the other.

Sounds like fun, eh?
try changing harmonies throughout a line,
so instead of harmonizing a whole phrase in either 3rds or 4ths or w/e
try having one not harmonized in a 3rd, then in a 4th, etc..
I think any sort of harmonising (ie from diatonic thirds to parallel thirds to even flattened fifths)
can work depending on the context in which they are used.