So it seems the general opinion that old marshalls are good but they are kind of declining.

How is this amp?
Many great artists (call be a fanboy, but the Chili peppers used 'em ), thus, I come to the conclusion that they are awesome.
Everyone becomes a genius when they join UG
Modern JCM's arent **** either. i played the current on sale 800 and i was blown away, being such a stripped down basic head the sound was immsence and wasnt modified at all.
they are great for rock and 80s metal, they don't have the best cleans though, not bad but not really that good either.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Engel22
Modern JCM's arent **** either. i played the current on sale 800 and i was blown away, being such a stripped down basic head the sound was immsence and wasnt modified at all.

When people say modern JCM's are declining, they're generally referring to the JCM2000's (that is to say, the DSL and TSL).
TS, what sort of tones are you aiming for?
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
It's not general opinion that new Marshall's suck. There is a small section, most of which have probably never compared new Marshall's to anything.

The JCM800's are awesome, and the JVM 2's crunch channel circuit is close to the 2203 that Zakk Wylde loves.
Pre 1985 JCM 800s are great for straight up rock and some metal. In 1985 they integrated more solid state circuitry into the amp to get more distortion and purists will say they don't sound as good.
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
I would have said that yes, Marshall is on the decline, but then my friend bought one of those new JVM410 heads and a Marshall cabinet (not sure if it's a JCM cab, or one of those 1960ones). That amp is a brilliant combination of diversity and quality (but it comes at a hefty cost...for the both of him, it cost him a lot. I think about $3000, maybe more). His brother has a JCM2000 DSL running through a JCM800 or 900 cabinet, and while it's decent, it's nothing compared to the JVM410, and to be honest, I'd take my Twin over the DSL any day.

Would I say Marshall is on the decline? No. The new JVM410 clearly demonstrates Marshall can still put out a good amp when needed, as well as their Vintage Modern amps being excellent. Still, it's a shame Marshall feels they only have to deliver when the masses start to question their commitment.

So while they're definitely not on the decline, they're still quite overated, especially when you consider how much they charge for their products based on legacy alone.
Global warming at my homework, sir.
Quote by RHCPfan01
Pre 1985 JCM 800s are great for straight up rock and some metal. In 1985 they integrated more solid state circuitry into the amp to get more distortion and purists will say they don't sound as good.

Dammit. You beat me to it.

Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Quote by RHCPfan01

This is the amp:

Mid 80's Marshall JCM800 Combo. Model 4212, 50 Watt, serial No. V04567.

When I googled the model it came up with the year as 1984-5 on reviews.

Is this still good?
i play iron maiden, cream, RHCP, Tool,
some Petrucci, satch,

I'm really into the famous marshall crunch
Tom Morello uses one and he has a brilliant tone. If you could get one you should, they sound absolutely amazing.

But it depends what you play really, they're really good for classic rock/metal.
The JCM 800 is a very good balls out metal/rock amp, but you may need an OD to get the sound with the right amount of gain. A real classic if you ask me. As for the new JCM series, they still make quality products although the price is a bit high. The current exchange rate of the dollar won't help the people in the USA. Other than that, the DSL is a good amp too (I had one) and the JVM is getting a larger fanbase.
Tone-wise: wonderful for that classic Marshall tone
Dependabilty: horrible, and always have been, very common

I've had a few, and have played on many. Great tone, very quirky.
- Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Ramirez, Marshall, Boss, Morley, Mesa/Boogie, Univox, Shure, Monster, Dunlop, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Lace, Sperzel, DW, Tama, Zildjian, and a little Johnnie Walker