ok so i'm sure all of you have heard this question a million times before but i really need help on this. i'm looking to get louder amp and i am leaning toward a half stack. but really i know nothing on the subject except that a good half stack is going to cost me a lot of money, just for a head, not mentioning a cab. so my questions are:

what are some really good brands for half stacks? i play metal on my own time and in my band like blues, reggae type stuff

do i go tube or solid state?

are there any good combos? say like a marshall head and a peavy cab?

my guitar is an ibanez s520ex, green shadow flat in case anyone is wondering

thanks a bunch guys
myspace.com/crystalignition
Well, I'd go with a nice combo.

But, I don't even know your budget.

Well, to answer your questions:

Brands don't really matter, it's more about the model. Bugeras like the 6505 clone seem to get some rave reviews around here and other places. I tried one too, and even though I don't have a very good ear for metal tone, it was more than decent.

Go tube, especially if you want to go the halfstack route.

combination of brands? Once again, brand doesn't necessarily matter. It's more like the model name. But yeah, mixing and matching brands is usually a good idea, as long as the cab is well built and the speakers suit the amp.

Anyways, we can't really suggest you anything until we know your budget.

I still recommend that you go for a nice tube combo though.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
If you can afford it, get a half stack, NOT a small tube combo, sorry I cant give more advice yet but we really need your budget!!
Diezel, Motherfucker
Quote by mh400nt
If you can afford it, get a half stack, NOT a small tube combo, sorry I cant give more advice yet but we really need your budget!!

No...

Not all people want to lug around a 412 cab and a head everywhere they go..
Most gigs will have cabs provided, therefore just bringing a head = easier than bringing a combo.

Ill always stick up for good quality halfstacks, if this kids got $4000 to burn it would be an insult getting a combo!
Diezel, Motherfucker
well i dont have to much maybe $1000-1500?
With $1000, you can get a nice used Fender combo, a small SS amp for playing metal on your own, and a few beers while you're at it.
Quote by JaIbanez

Hm, tough requirements. I might stick you with a Carvin Legacy head and an Avatar or Vader cab.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by JaIbanez

If you're looking for a new amp, then check out the Peavy Windsor. They're supposed to be way out of their league in terms of quality for the asking price of the product.

If you go to classified site, and save $200 or $300 more, I'm sure you'll be able to find a good head an cabinet. I mean, right now there's an Orange Rocker 30 head for sale in my city for $1000, and you could get a decent cab for about $700.

Just research, research, research, exercise some patience, and you'll be fine, my friend.
Global warming at my homework, sir.
For that much you can get pretty high quality stuff. Used Mesa Mark IV, Carvin V3 (...well, something Carvin anyway, it has a 3 in the name) or Legacy (although it's not a rhythm metal amp, and I believe it's pretty damn loud). I can't think of any more, but there should be a lot of amps you can get for that much. Check out Craigslist, Ebay and whatever classifieds you can find, you can get a higher quality amp if you go used.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
The Carvin V3 would be very, very versatile. It could do blues and metal easily. Plus it has a half power switch for bedroom playing. They go for about $600 USD on eBay, which leaves plenty for a nice cab.
Carvin V3 with an Avatar cab.
Ovation Celebrity
Schecter C-1 Classic
Peavey Valve King 112
Quote by mh400nt
Most gigs will have cabs provided, therefore just bringing a head = easier than bringing a combo.

Where are you playing?

I've never heard of a venue around here providing a cab. Plus, it'd probably be some ****ty cab anyway that I wouldn't dare play a nice head through.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
thanks guys if you have more suggestions keep them coming
so carvin will do metal?
Marshall JCM900 1/2 stack i have cost me $1400 used

i honestly would stay away from a combo now that i have a 1/2 stack, i was running a 2X12 1936 cab, NOTHING compared to my 1960 4 X 12 cab, the 4X12 is so much louder and better sounding, it was night and day, and both cabs have the same Celestion G12T-75`s

and it does metal, you`ll probly need a pedal just to boost it some.
4x12 + head setups definitely have more "umph" to them, but most 50 watt+ SS combos can gig and most 15w+ tube combos can as well.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by jimmy666page666
No...

Not all people want to lug around a 412 cab and a head everywhere they go..

your not speaking for the guy.

Quote by MatrixClaw
Where are you playing?

I've never heard of a venue around here providing a cab. Plus, it'd probably be some ****ty cab anyway that I wouldn't dare play a nice head through.

+1 Venues will barely provide a damn pa. never mind cabs..

TS- For the price you meantioned your honestly better off getting a Combo. You can get a nice great combo for that price than a ok halfstack. Maybe if your lucky a Mesa MarkIV and cab, but it would be so tight you mightent find such a deal for while and same goes for other quality amps.

Maybe a mesa F-50 combo? I have seen a few bands who play the styles you mention and that amp just nailed the sound to the cross like jesus was.
Quote by Slayerdeath
Marshall MG 1/2 stack i have cost me $400 used

i honestly would stay away from a combo now that i have a 1/2 stack, i was running a 2X12 1936 cab, NOTHING compared to my 1960 4 X 12 cab, the 4X12 is so much louder and better sounding, it was night and day, and both cabs have the same Celestion G12T-75`s

and it does metal, you`ll probly need a pedal just to boost it some.

yeah I heard those are great.