Being able to vibrate it really fast, basically, instead of using a whammy to go higher, you can just use vibrato. You still need a whammy to go lower though...
Quote by Veqq
Being able to vibrate it really fast, basically, instead of using a whammy to go higher, you can just use vibrato. You still need a whammy to go lower though...

Thats what I would call bad. A good vibrato is all personal opinion, to me, having a good vibrato is having control over your vibrato. That way you can do all vibratos (fast, slow, wide, etc.)
Quote by ouchies
Thats what I would call bad. A good vibrato is all personal opinion, to me, having a good vibrato is having control over your vibrato. That way you can do all vibratos (fast, slow, wide, etc.)

Totally. Lot's of guys just randomly shake the string with no real control, and it sound really ****ty (Kirk Hammet anyone?). The key isn't really in the speed or in the width, but in the control. Know in your head how you want it to sound and play it that way.

Like Shred Durst says, "Shake that string, don't be a little bitch!"
Last edited by CowboyUp at May 26, 2008,
Quote by CowboyUp
Totally. Lot's of guys just randomly shake the string with no real control, and it sound really ****ty (Kirk Hammet anyone?). The key isn't really in the speed or in the width, but in the control. Know in your head how you want it to sound and play it that way.

true that, and try find the right sounding viberato that suits the song an personal feel
Quote by ouchies

Bingo.
Quote by ouchies

This = win.

Quote by Dores
Well at least Shred Durst has terrible vibrato...

While I don't agree with everything the man says I have to say I love his vibrato; he has great control over his vibrato and it's consistent so I see nothing wrong with it.

Also my $0.02: I think any vibrato can be good as long as it's consistent, amateurish vibrato to me is always one that is inconsistent in it's width and speed.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Well, from what I heard I think his vibrato sounds like a machine. I don't like vibrato that's 100% consistent in speed and width. As long as it sounds clean, though. IMO, vibrato has to have some feel, and Durst's vibrato doesn't have and feelings at all.

My openion though.
Quote by IbanezAngel
Alot of people say to have "good vibrato" but I have no clue what that means!

good vibrato = vibrato that sounds good.

The fact that you would have to have good control over your vibrato to achieve that really goes without saying. You really can't play anything on the guitar without having "control" over what your doing.

How do you get good at it? practice. Try vibratoing on your own. Imitate solos/licks that use a vibrato that you think sounds good.

My opinions on whats good or bad vibrato....

mediocre to crappy vibrato: Kirk Hammet

Awesome vibrato: Clapton w/cream..... SRV...... many others, but check them out.
Last edited by GuitarMunky at May 26, 2008,
Quote by Veqq

you could just do a prebend and gradually release
Quote by CowboyUp
Totally. Lot's of guys just randomly shake the string with no real control, and it sound really ****ty (Kirk Hammet anyone?).
Like Shred Durst says, "Shake that string, don't be a little bitch!"

you, you're serious? well to each his own.

imo a good vibrato is simply being able to get it to sound like how you want it to sound.