Alright, my good cable crapped out on me, so I'm now in the market for new cables. I figure while I'm buying cables, I might as well buy a bunch: I'm planning on getting a 20 ft cable to connect bass to pedal, a 5 foot cable for connecting pedal to amp, and a 10 foot cable for connecting amp to computer (for recording). My main concern is durability, though tone would be great as well. I'm willing to pay alot more for a cable that will last me a long time then a short-lived cable with epic tone. Any reccomendations?
monster cables maybe?
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
cables don't really make much difference to tone really, but you're best bet would be planet waves, i think they're the ones that have the lifetime thing that means you only need to buy one for the rest of your life.

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
I would go with either Monster Cables or Planet Waves.

Monster Cables are the ones with the no question lifetime warranty. You don't even need the receipt. As the regulars on this forum know, my cat once bit through one and they took it back no question and gave me a new cable.
Make your own. :P

Seriously, it's not very difficult at all, you can make them absolutely whatever length you want, you don't need complex tools, and if your cat bites through them it'll take you less time to make a new one than it would take to drive to the shop.

Get a roll of a suitable cable, a few 1/4" jacks, and you're in business.
Quote by anarkee
I would go with either Monster Cables or Planet Waves.

Monster Cables are the ones with the no question lifetime warranty. You don't even need the receipt. As the regulars on this forum know, my cat once bit through one and they took it back no question and gave me a new cable.

Actually, both do. As far as I know, so long at the cable hasn't been obviously mistreated (e.g. torn in half) they are happy to swap a Planet Waves.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
i choose Monster cables because of the "no questions" replacment policy, but i'm sure there are are other decent cables. when i find a product a like, i tend to stick with it. i.e. Rotosound strings, Ampeg amps, Fender basses, and Monster cables.
Last edited by 83lespaulstudio at May 26, 2008,
Pretty much any cable will do. I bought a house brand cable that after 5 years still does the job perfectly. Why should i pay 35 buck for something that does exactly the same as a 10 buck...
With monster cables its a bit the same as with Nike or adidas. Sure they make a good product but you pay more for the name/brand then the actual product.

The cheapest would be to make them yourself but since i got 2 left hands when it comes to that type of stuff it's cheaper for me to buy one in store

With cables there isn't a whole lot that can go wrong. The only thing is a type of plug (if you don't mind spending some extra get gold plated plugs and the soldering which can be checked easily by screwing it open.)
Just don't get the winded cable (like you find on the horn of old telephone) cause eventually it will shoot out of the amp and hit something it's not supposed to.
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
Quote by Mescalino
Pretty much any cable will do. I bought a house brand cable that after 5 years still does the job perfectly. Why should i pay 35 buck for something that does exactly the same as a 10 buck...
With monster cables its a bit the same as with Nike or adidas. Sure they make a good product but you pay more for the name/brand then the actual product.

The cheapest would be to make them yourself but since i got 2 left hands when it comes to that type of stuff it's cheaper for me to buy one in store

With cables there isn't a whole lot that can go wrong. The only thing is a type of plug (if you don't mind spending some extra get gold plated plugs and the soldering which can be checked easily by screwing it open.)
Just don't get the winded cable (like you find on the horn of old telephone) cause eventually it will shoot out of the amp and hit something it's not supposed to.

People have been recommending monster because of the no questions asked replacement
(or have I been reading wrong?)
Quote by lordofthefood1
People have been recommending monster because of the no questions asked replacement
(or have I been reading wrong?)

I should do a search here but i believe i read something about that.

Hmm cant find it.
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
Quote by Samzawadi
Make your own. :P

Seriously, it's not very difficult at all, you can make them absolutely whatever length you want, you don't need complex tools, and if your cat bites through them it'll take you less time to make a new one than it would take to drive to the shop.

Get a roll of a suitable cable, a few 1/4" jacks, and you're in business.

This is not easy for everyone. I used to be a network cable monkey, so making cables and doing wire punch downs is not a huge issue for me. For others--not so easy.

I tend to buy just for the convenience--yes cussed laziness, lol.
the life of a cable varies greatly, depending on the need. my cables get alot of use. they are rolled up, and packed for transport, two or three times a week, all year long. i need cables that work everytime i plug them in. if a Monster cable fails me, i know it will be replaced at no charge. for me Monster cables are the best value for the money.
Well, I'm British, so I crave dissapointment. I also love complaining, so I buy cheap, low quality cables that break when I look at them.

It makes my world go round
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
all the cheap cables I ever bought started having bad contacts, intermittent tone, etc as early as just a few months after getting them. On the other hand, the 2 good cables (out of which one is a monster) I gladly spend a little more money on, are working perfectly ever since I've got them (more than 2 years).

I dunno, I might just have had bad luck with the generic cables though.

Quote by Nutter_101
Well, I'm British, so I crave dissapointment. I also love complaining, so I buy cheap, low quality cables that break when I look at them.

It makes my world go round
Quote by anarkee
As the regulars on this forum know, my cat once bit through one and they took it back no question and gave me a new cable.

Your cat is awesome.

I am currently using an angled Planet Waves with gold tips and a circuit breaker. My primary motivation for this purchase was the lifetime guarantee -- I figured it would be more economical in the long run.

The cable performs well and looks neat. However, the end casings are small, making it difficult to grip and unplug the cable from the guitar or bass. The tips are very tight and hard to unplug because of a special ridge that compresses and expands inside the input jack. This would be a great feature had they also reinforced the vulnerable area where the cord meets the casing. I don't use the circuit breaker, which allows you to mute the amp and unplug without noise. The gold tips give a nice placebo effect.

My favourite cable was a tweed Fender Vintage Voltage, which featured long, reinforced rubber casings. Unfortunately, it died after three-and-a-half years of good service.

American Stratocaster + Blues Junior

Last edited by Armored Artist at May 26, 2008,
Quote by Armored Artist
Your cat is awesome.

Lol, thanks. He's the one that's on my profile in the Musicman case. He went through a stage where he chewed through anything that was vaguely string like. I lost a laptop power cable that way too. Dell was not as sympathetic as Monster cable tho'
Quote by anarkee
Lol, thanks. He's the one that's on my profile in the Musicman case. He went through a stage where he chewed through anything that was vaguely string like. I lost a laptop power cable that way too. Dell was not as sympathetic as Monster cable tho'

Did he try to chew though your Rotos? lol

Uh TS, I use Monster. They may not sound better than other cables, but they are durable (hell, my amp fell on one end and bent the tip, still works fine), and the warranty is awesome.