Page 1 of 2
I am beginning bass lessons this fall, and was wondering if i should start with a 4 or 5 string bass, because if i go with a 4 string it will be hard to make the transition up, but with a 5 string i will have extra tonal range. Any suggestions?
go out and try a load of 4 and 5 string basses and buy whichever you're most comfortable with. we can't tell you whether or not a 5 string bass is your thing.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
I started with a 5 and now i cant actuly play a 4 string as well as i can a five, its down to personal preferance though.
i prefer the thickness of a five-string neck
got the same problem a while ago and im pretty happy with my choice
Guitars/Basses:
-Ibanez SZ-520QM (D-Sonic/Air Norton)
-Ibanez RG-370
-ESP ltd B-55
Amps/Effects/Rig:
-Engl E530 + 930/60 Poweramp
-POD X3L
I'd recommend starting with 4 so you can get your technique nailed without the additional complication of knowing when to use that extra string. Keep it as simple as possible when you start is my advice.
Quote by smb
I'd recommend starting with 4 so you can get your technique nailed without the additional complication of knowing when to use that extra string. Keep it as simple as possible when you start is my advice.

I second that. I also stated out on a 4 string. My second bass will be a 5 string.
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
Quote by skater dan0
go out and try a load of 4 and 5 string basses and buy whichever you're most comfortable with. we can't tell you whether or not a 5 string bass is your thing.

What kinds of things should i do to try them? i do play guitar so i know progressions, but i'm really interested in funk.
Quote by Mescalino
I second that. I also stated out on a 4 string. My second bass will be a 5 string.

I think it's this way for a lot of people, and if he starts out with a 5 string it'll be a while longer before he'll have to look for a new bass! So I'd recommend looking for a 5-string from the start, cause the additional string does give you economy of movement and extended tonal range, so no more bothersome downtuning!
Well in that case, can anyone point me in the direction of a good 5 string bass? my price range is
$600.
You can't get a "good" bass for 600 bucks, unless it's used. If I were you, I'd get a 4 stringed Fender jazz, circa 1990's, and stick with it for a while. Having a great 4 string is always a pro. And then you can get a decent 5-er like a japanese-made Ibanez SR3005NT, SR5 Ltd, Warwick, Lakland, S-ray, etc.
Quote by Knurlheim
Well in that case, can anyone point me in the direction of a good 5 string bass? my price range is
$600.

Ibanez or Schecter basses is worth a look..... also some of the ESP LTD basses are sweet.....

I had a 4string SDGR Ibanez with active pickups.... I also had a 5string Peavey bass which kicked ass, but I sold it because I didnt really use it - I got into guitar instead

Ibanez RG2228 Prestige
Schecter C7 Jeff Loomis FR (18volt mod)
Epiphone Gothic Explorer (with SD Blackouts)
Ibanez RG350M Yellow
Peavey C5 Tigerwood 5string bass
Randall RH150G3
Go with what you are most comfortable with. Personally, I just find 4 string necks too small. My 5 string Warwick neck feels about the right size, and I'm already guaging the possibility of my next bass being 6 string.

I don't find the larger necks a problem. So people do.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Last edited by gm jack at May 26, 2008,
Bassilo, you can get a good bass for $600!!!!!!!!!!
case in point- the most amazing bass I've ever played was $650, new.
I say go for an Ibanez. but that's my opinion, and I have a bias towards Ibanez.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Humanity, one thing you learn when playing a lot - each and every bass needs "breaking in". This translates into 2 years of playing at least, after which it's taken to a luthier to be set-up properly. New basses, even expensive ones go out of tune and do not pitch properly. This is ok when you play metallica at home, but unthinkable when you record. I'd never get a new bass, especially from the mass-produced series made out of damp wood.

This is why I will never trade my customized 15+ year old BB-605 for anything.

SR505 is good for a newbie, but he can get it used, and save some dough. Other than that - mediocre bass with obscenely muddy mids
Bassilo, There is a common belief that the more expensive the instrument, the better. you have fallen victim to it. I played a bass that had wonderful pickups, dense, strong wood, the low end punch I desire. tuning pegs are easily replaced. I have played old basses- an '84 Stingray was one of them, and a few handmade basses. the Ibanez SR650 pwned them all easily. If there are any left when I get $650 bucks, I'm buying one.
I am sorry for you, and hope you recover from your pricing mind trap, and your vintage mind trap.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

^ Has 3-band eq just dial it out. And mids are usually kind of muddy. Also i guess your idea of a good bass is a custom warwick right? And most newbies don't spend $600 on a bass when they start.

Ts try a Sr505 or a shecter. The Sr505 has bartonlinis which sound awesome but are really pretty sounding.

Edit: first statement is to bassilo.
Humanity, friend, trust me, I'm the least biased there is) For one - because my Yamaha BB-605 cost 350 bucks on sale) I was actually going to sell it, but something made me take it to my luthier first) He told me it was almost the best wood he'd ever seen.

And humanity, PLEASE, stop saying: "am sorry for you, and hope you recover from your pricing mind trap, and your vintage mind trap". I explained WHY i do not recommend buying new, as well as underpriced. Did it not seem logical? Then "I'm sorry for you". But I hate childish ranting, especially when we speak about spending money. Did i say "Expenisve - good, cheap - bad, new = bad, old = good?"

No. Matter of fact, most new basses are shoddy - expensive or cheap, like it or not, one has to be objective. This is caused particularly by mass production, and is why pro's go to a store and play a particular guitar before buying.
Let us agree to disagree.

But I'm right...
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by hippiebass
^ Has 3-band eq just dial it out. And mids are usually kind of muddy. Also i guess your idea of a good bass is a custom warwick right?

Custom Warwicks aren't necessarily expensive. Mine was £750, and is as well built as their £3000 basses.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
So i live in canada, and the only site that does ship to canada doesn't ship ibanez...
For 600 bucks i would look for a lakland or Fender jazz 4 string. You will never regret having a 4 string even if you are buying a 5 string a year from purchasing the 4 string.

If you do want to get a 5 string as your first check:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-SR505-Bass?sku=517942
Perhaps one of the better deals for under 600 bucks unless you can get a secondhand stingray for that price..

BUT do try some things out before buying something.
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
Quote by Mescalino
For 600 bucks i would look for a lakland or Fender jazz 4 string. You will never regret having a 4 string even if you are buying a 5 string a year from purchasing the 4 string.

If you do want to get a 5 string as your first check:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-SR505-Bass?sku=517942
Perhaps one of the better deals for under 600 bucks unless you can get a secondhand stingray for that price..

BUT do try some things out before buying something.

WHASSSSSSUP SOOON!)))) Haven't seen you in a friggin while)))) My older account was squidman, but it got deleted after a crash) Remember them times when it was mainly me, yuo and Def on these forums) Lol, 2001...
Quote by Bassilo
You can't get a "good" bass for 600 bucks, unless it's used. If I were you, I'd get a 4 stringed Fender jazz, circa 1990's, and stick with it for a while. Having a great 4 string is always a pro. And then you can get a decent 5-er like a japanese-made Ibanez SR3005NT, SR5 Ltd, Warwick, Lakland, S-ray, etc.

You're an arrogant gear snob. I'm sure that no 600$ bass is made from "damp wood"... You're recommending the top of the line Ibanez(3005NT) for a beginner and saying its a mediocre bass?!
This guy is talking about starting Bass, and unlike most others, he intends to spend more than 200 bucks on his first bass, and 600 is gonna get him a nice one!
If you were right, nobody would be buying new instruments. Of course it needs to be broken in, but if you break it in yourself it'll grow on you even more.
To Threadstarter:
Anyhow, for 600 bucks, Schecter and Ibanez are some good brands to look into.
If you go for Ibanez, I'd recommend a BTB series 5-string over an SR series, cause it's got a 35" scale neck. The B string was very floppy on all the SRs I've tried out because of its standart scale neck.
I play a Schecter Studio 5 and I'm very happy with it, tight B string, fat low end, great tone (neck-through mahogani/bubinga, EMG electronics).
Yes i haven't played a schecter but hear great stuff about them.

Good is relative offcourse. But 600 buck for a starter bass will get you a good starter bass even a 5-string.

I mean it's crazy to buy an Alembic as a starter bass. Nothing wrong but i just wouldn't do it.
But you cant compare a 5 string ibanez with a 5 string alembic or high end warwic its like comparing a Kia with a Ferrari. :P
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
According to german auto magazine Kia and Hyundai are just about the most reliable cars)

Alreadygone, fella, you should read better, it's not that difficult. For his budget I highly recommended getting a used Fender 4 string or a used Ibanez fiver. But Fender would be my pick, as I said, so that I'd save up for top-of-the-line 3005. That's what I'd do)
Quote by Bassilo
According to german auto magazine Kia and Hyundai are just about the most reliable cars)

Alreadygone, fella, you should read better, it's not that difficult.

OMG, you pwned me... NOT.
I was referring to your post where you voiced your opinion that even high-end basses are mass-produced out of damp wood, and mentioned things such as "OK to play Metallica at home, unthinkable for recording" or "one thing you learn when playing a lot" or "mediocre bass with obscenely muddy mids" about the SR...

Who the hell are you trying to impress, behaving like a 'connaisseur' of bass tone and craftmanship? The Newbie who wants advice on his first bass? The other more experienced members?
Go impress some wannabe guitarists at your local Guitar Center with your incredible fund of playing experience and luthier knowledge, cause you're certainly not getting any approval here.
bassilo, I'd leave if I were you. somebody's gonna pwn you bad. I should of done it myself...
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

That is but a minor pwning. If he stays much longer, he shall be uberpwned!
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

for roughly 600 i got an ltd b-5 (five string) bass and it is exactly what i wanted
I started on a four (high school's bass). Bought my own (G&L five string) and I sold it and bought a Hohner six string. See what you like, I prefer a wider neck so I love my six.
Quote by DieGarbageMan
can i get a tl;dr up in this bitch?

A mod makes a joke and hi-jacks a thread...

Quote by paintITblack39
usually, this is often discussed in the political threads ...

let's change the question: are you pro or antti niemi?
Quote by the humanity
bassilo, I'd leave if I were you. somebody's gonna pwn you bad. I should of done it myself...

That is but a minor pwning. If he stays much longer, he shall be uberpwned!
Veteran UGers like Bassilo (and Mescalino of course) are assets to the forum and worth a thousand mindless drone n00bs like yourself.
Quote by smb
Veteran UGers like Bassilo (and Mescalino of course) are assets to the forum and worth a thousand mindless drone n00bs like yourself.

And once again, smb comes in to ruin everyone's fun.
Page 1 of 2