How do you write a good simple guitar riff without making it sound too much like another song? I keep trying, but they usually end up really lame and boring.

Left hand man of the fargoth fanclub! PM lamafunguy to join.

Quote by InvaderTSN
Better yet. "My arm is tired, could I put it in between your legs so I can sexually violate you during the movie?"
Quote by Irnmaiden4life
lets watch this thread die like i should have on page 1
Comes with time - pick a scale and make a riff. Everyone is different, but i always come up with riffs in my head, i try to translate that onto the guitar. Another little tip is to use the same riff but in a variety of ways. Say u create a riff in C major, try and transpose it to other keys - sometimes it can sound very cool.
find one cool riff. find anther. merge them together. wallah.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I got crap to do, okay? Counter-Strike isn't going to play itself.
depends what kind of sound you're looking for, what genre, and how complex you want it to be. A lot of the time something simple or pentatonic based works, try experimenting with effects too.
you cant try, they just happen. i think the best way to do it is to jam with people, just improvising stuff, and eventually a cool riff will come out of it. but ive never sat down and tried to write a riff and just wrote one, thats impossible
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
Frank Zappa - Muffin Man
Jethro Tull - aqualung

These are all songs that really sound like no other and thats just because they have weird use of scales and timeing so take that into consideration.
'85 Fender Reissue '75 Jazz Bass ---> Ashdown MAG300h
Schecter C/SH-1 ---> Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Quote by ouchies
Not really, I do it all the time

well of course, you CAN sit down and write a riff, but are they really good? good enough to get stuck in peoples heads? probably not. my band writes a lot of stuff on the fly, and the stuff that people like the most, is stuff that we came up with randomly. when i say like, i mean people walking around humming the riff. thats when you know its a good riff
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah