Im currently working on a song. I want to finger pick the notes. say i want the chords to be like dm , am etc for the chorus or verse. Can i look at those notes on the d minor and a minor scale and pick any of the notes in the scale and it will sound ok?
My newest cover Rivers Of Babylon sublime style.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J_E7iWLxmiA

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
80s rock, classic rock, classic metal
it'd be in the key of D minor, unless you wanna go into mode modulation stuff and switch between A minor and D minor.
This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is MINE.
Quote by sixstringsteve
it'd be in the key of D minor, unless you wanna go into mode modulation stuff and switch between A minor and D minor.

it dont matter i want just a sad sound so minor is the way to go if i remember right.
My newest cover Rivers Of Babylon sublime style.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J_E7iWLxmiA

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
80s rock, classic rock, classic metal
Quote by silly6-string
it dont matter i want just a sad sound so minor is the way to go if i remember right.

... According to spinal tap anyways...

Remember though, If you want it to sound "sad" thats just as much a part of scale selection as it is phrasing.
Quote by Hamburglekins
... According to spinal tap anyways...

Remember though, If you want it to sound "sad" thats just as much a part of scale selection as it is phrasing.

If you are skipping over the b3, b6, and b7, it's just going to sound happy because you'll be hitting the notes in a major scale. So He has a point.
try playing in the Aeolian mode...works quite well over minor 7th chords too which are the 6th step to your keys note.
[img]http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3760/356h356h365pc1.png[/img]
Die Ruhe vor dem Sturm.
Quote by silly6-string
Im currently working on a song. I want to finger pick the notes. say i want the chords to be like dm , am etc for the chorus or verse. Can i look at those notes on the d minor and a minor scale and pick any of the notes in the scale and it will sound ok?

A stronger resolution in a minor key would be something like V-i or V7-i (if you're in D minor, that would be A-Dm and A7-Dm respectively). You could use v-i (Am-Dm) if you want, in which case you could certainly play the corresponding scales over each one; also, you have plenty of options. If you chose the D minor scale it would work over both chords provided you didn't hang on the Bb over the A chord. That piece might very well be in A minor, so feel free to experiment using the A minor scale over both chords as well. The motion in A minor would be iv-i in case you are interested.

Ignore the post above me about the Aeolian mode. This implies modal music, so stick to a minor key; modal music is limiting and difficult to maintain from a harmonic standpoint, so don't bother with it. Use the key of D minor or A minor.