My gear currently is;
Epiphone Dot
Vox AD30VT
Boss GT-8 and a Fuzz Probe

I have 2 questions, what's the use of the power wattage knob on the back of the Vox AD30VT, I used to think it was because 15W at full volume would sound better than 30W at half volume, but I was just reading the "read first" threads and it said that higher wattage amps are usually better than lower wattage at the same volume.

2nd question is about what amp, if any, I should get.
I use my Vox on the clean channel all the time and use my Boss for any effects/distortion, so is it possible/recommended/not recommended for me to just get a cab? Or can the Boss GT-8 not function as a preamp?

If not, then recommendations would be nice. I only practise in my room at the moment, but if I ever do join a band (which I do hope to) it would be nice to have a good amp. 50W would probably be plenty.

My budget is £300-£1000. Preferably around the £300-700 side but if there's anything which is a lot better for slightly more, I suppose I could save up a bit more.
My favourite band to play is Muse, so fuzz distortion (thus the fuzz probe pedal) but I also like to play stuff like RATM, and Chili Peppers. (Extended list: Kings of leon, Foo fighters, Feeder, QotSA.. although most of the time I'm too lazy to tune down)

Thanks for any help.
the wattage knob is there so the tubes would staurate at a lower volume.
actually tube amps sound the best at higer volumes.
about the boss gt-8, its a good multi-effect, if your statisfied with the sound then you shouldent change it, otherwise sell both the amp and the effect and get a better amp that can deliver what you want.
i would say a 30W tube amp would do fine on most small band situations.
If you buy an amp and plan on using the GT-8, I'd buy either a valve power amp and a cab, or a nice clean amp with a lot of headroom and plug the GT-8 straight into the effects return jack (Fender hot rod deville springs to mind for this).
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
If you buy an amp and plan on using the GT-8, I'd buy either a valve power amp and a cab, or a nice clean amp with a lot of headroom and plug the GT-8 straight into the effects return jack (Fender hot rod deville springs to mind for this).

TTT

(that means "The Total Truth")
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.