Heya mates.
I'm selling my Fender Stratocaster Highway 1 HSS and I've had tuning problems since the very begining.
I've swapped keys, changed bridge and made some other corrections (everything has been done by luthiers) and the last conclusion we made is that the whole neck needs replacement.....
When I check strings on tuner after I use tremolo it "can't decide" where should a frequency stop.
It's just waving up and down and is detuned after I use tremolo.
But not for long.
I play the same open string for around 5 seconds and it comes back to order!
I've discovered that a weak push of a finger on the neck detunes this fender.

Can I repair it somehow?
Gettin' better ^_^
call fender and tell them. Maybee it is ****ed from the factory. They should solve the problem. Seems like a truss rod problem to me.
My gear!
ESP LTD M-100FM
Custom RR style Flying V
Custom ESP Explorer (in the making!)
Vox AD30VT
Dunlop Crybaby, Deltalab Md-1, rd 1, Morley optical Volume
I can't.
The warranty forces me to visit an official repair point which is to far away and I was repairing this guitar in different places.
That means I lost my warranty-it's now a piece of crap.
BTW: What is a truss rod?
I doesn't figure in any dictionary.
Maybe is there any substitute to that word around?
And it must be factory f****d.
And I just began to think that fender isn't such a piece of s***t.
Gettin' better ^_^
its either truss rod problems or -this may sound stupid- make sure the neck bolts holding the neck to the guitar are fully tightened
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
fenders are great guitars. I have always wanted a highway one. I think your particular guitar got screwed up at the factory.
My gear!
ESP LTD M-100FM
Custom RR style Flying V
Custom ESP Explorer (in the making!)
Vox AD30VT
Dunlop Crybaby, Deltalab Md-1, rd 1, Morley optical Volume
^yeah, s*** happens sometimes.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
That means that s*** happens to me in every possible way: the orignal keys were s*** aswell as the bridge, not mentioning some other small repairs around neck and saddle.

Neck is straight and luthier tried to screw the bolt even more- no result.
Hang on.
As I've been looking at some hardware I've unscrewed these 4 bolts on the other side of the neck-the ones that hold it with guitar's body.
When I found out that something "bad" happened I screwed them up again.
Could it be screwed badly and somehow affect the neck's stability?
Gettin' better ^_^
Last edited by Shadowy at May 26, 2008,
in that case, my guess is a dud guitar- occasionly one or two guitars DO get really factory f***ed
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
%*(^)%*u(^)u%()*#iu$%%^$#).
Why the f*** I have to have such unluck all the time -.-.
I won't buy a new neck- no f**** way
I've already spent 1/3 of this s***'s price on repairs.
Gettin' better ^_^
imo u should save up for an American Standard-if u try to repair this one, u will spend way more than intended
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
I willl never ever buy fender again.
My next purchase is going to be Ibanez and if I won't manage to cheaply repair this %($#&%)*$#& Highway 1 and sell it afterwards I will just throw it to rubbish where it's place is.
Gettin' better ^_^
dont hate the company for just one guitar...trust me- if u have to return a marshall JCM cause its a dud, would u hate marshall? (happened to a friend, he now uses his marshall every day)
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
After spending so much money on repairing this crapp I think I can responsibly say: "Fender sux".
It's not only because I found neck being bad.
It's all hardware-bridge sux, keys are a bad joke to me, neck was to sharp (needed fixes), saddle was blocking strings (needed fixing).
But the sound itself wasn't that bad-humb is quite heavy and good sounding for all rock/metal music and single coil is good for some Maiden'ish solos.
However it's not worth spending 1/3 of it's price which means in my country overall $500 (as guitars in Poland are literally 2 times more expensive than the USA ones) is not worth just a "good" sound of pickups and wood.

Clearly I can't like Fender after what's it's american highway 1 done to my nerves and pocket.
I just can't.
Gettin' better ^_^
ouch.
ok nevermind then...
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
But lets better get back to solving ideas: what else can I do appart from all these things and could my "fun with screws" impact somehow the neck's stability?
Gettin' better ^_^
i cant think of anything else it could be, and no, the neck's stability wont be comprmised, it will actually be more stable
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
When I touch the head it has got an influence on the tuning.
Just a tap of finger is enough to instantly detune this guitar.
I just don't want to sell dud guitar without repairing it first.
Gettin' better ^_^
why didnt i think of this before- check over EVERY INCH of the bridge. even if you've replaced it, theres always a chance somthings loose, which will mess with ur tuning (and ur brain!)
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
We've checked it with luthier and it's a good wilkinson bridge-seems really solid.
Before that keys I have now I used to have a $150 Schaller ones and the only tuning problem I had was with the G string.
The others were okay.
I found out that this G key was badly manufactured and I had to install cheap ones instead (over $200 totally wasted).
Now 4/6 string don't keep their tunes.
Can it be keys fault again?
Gettin' better ^_^
absolutly, u wouldnt believe how pissed i kept getting at my epi SG's tuning. then i bought locking tuners.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
Hope installing the Schallers for another $100 will help.
I will write tomorrow what these changes brought to this case.
Thanks for now and cu tomorrow.
Gettin' better ^_^
Quote by Shadowy
That means that s*** happens to me in every possible way: the orignal keys were s*** aswell as the bridge, not mentioning some other small repairs around neck and saddle.

Neck is straight and luthier tried to screw the bolt even more- no result.
Hang on.
As I've been looking at some hardware I've unscrewed these 4 bolts on the other side of the neck-the ones that hold it with guitar's body.
When I found out that something "bad" happened I screwed them up again.
Could it be screwed badly and somehow affect the neck's stability?

TBH, I'd go to a different shop. Consider that bridges and tuners are mass-produced and aren't delicate or even close to rocket science.

Why did the shop replace the bridge? And did they give you the original Fender bridge after the replacement? As far as the tuners, did they return them, too? If not, that should be a clue right there.

As far as the neck is concerned, just looking straight down along the fretboard, does it look horribly warped or curved? If not, chances are it's adjustable. Don't mess with the truss rod yourself if you're not familiar with them.

I have some extremely cheap Squiers: some Squier '51s ($70 apiece), some Squier Affinity Strats, etc. and all came with the most inexpensive tuners you can imagine and none of them go out of tune. Check out this site: http://www.stringthis.com/howtostringu.html

As long as you have opposable thumbs and decent reading comprehension, you can make cheap tuners stay in tune ... well, at least most tuners not subject to backlash.

Good Luck getting it fixed. It'll make sense to go to another shop.

They're not cheaters- I'm sure of that.
They've given me back all the replaced stuff in addition to a very expensive luthier who didn't work for any shop, who installed Schaller keys for $200 and found out that the G one is dud so disarmored my tremolo bridge into a stable one adding that without another $300 for a "good bridge" the tremolo won't keep the tune.
So these guys from the shop are the "good ones" isntead of an expensive luthier.
The neck is straight-we've checked that.
How am I supposed to "check" the bridge?
As I look at it it seems perfectly fine.
At this point I don't matter wheather it's neck or anything else bad.
I want it to stay in tune no matter what stuff I do using tremolo.
If new keys help somehow to do it, then I will pay for them.
Gettin' better ^_^
Quote by Shadowy
They're not cheaters- I'm sure of that.
They've given me back all the replaced stuff in addition to a very expensive luthier who didn't work for any shop, who installed Schaller keys for $200 and found out that the G one is dud so disarmored my tremolo bridge into a stable one adding that without another $300 for a "good bridge" the tremolo won't keep the tune.
So these guys from the shop are the "good ones" isntead of an expensive luthier.
The neck is straight-we've checked that.
How am I supposed to "check" the bridge?
As I look at it it seems perfectly fine.
At this point I don't matter wheather it's neck or anything else bad.
I want it to stay in tune no matter what stuff I do using tremolo.
If new keys help somehow to do it, then I will pay for them.

Just so you know, new Schaller locking tuners are $70 in the US and a new Fender replacement bridge is $80. Even with fees and tax and additional shipping cost to Poland, the prices you got quoted are pretty steep.

If you're unable to find another luthier, I suspect you'll end up spending even more.

Why didn't you try it before you buy it?
Or if you tried it at the shop and bought online, why didn't you just get it replaced before you ****ed around around with it, thus voiding the warranty?
It sounds unreasonable that they will send you a ****ed guitar and then ask you to go an official repair point out of your reach, but even if so, couldn't you just SHIP your guitar there? Wouldn't that be a much cheaper alternative?
Quote by Demon Wolf
Man, you even got the melody right. +1000000 points.

Quote by Night_Lights
^thats a brilliant call. *jots in notebook*
Hey I know this sounds really dumb but does sound out of tune. You may have a ****e tuner. Also do try that way of stringing someone else metioned - it does work wonders.

(Please don't flame me *cowers*)
Call me Duncan.

Nearly always have D'addario EXL110 strings instock - just ask!

Custom made guitar slides available - choose the glass, length etc.. Engraving availible. PM or email for more info.

SALE

Welsh UG'er!!
Both me and my luthier have got different tuners and both of them show detuning.
Also I can hear that something is wrong with the certain cords.
Gettin' better ^_^
have you tried rubbing pencil lead in the nut grooves and saddles? it'll probably not help since you've been to luthiers etc and they would probably know what they're doing...
The saddle has been modified by luthier so I don't reckon it requires that sort of stuff.
Gettin' better ^_^