Hi all,

Im thinking of changing the pickups of my Epiphone Black Beauty.

Decided since Im pretty poor, that Im going to install 3 Swineshead pickups (rather than Bareknuckles) into the guitar - however which 3?

Any suggestions?

Perhaps:
Bridge (Warthog or Xbucker?)
Middle (Runaway)
Neck (Condor)

Thanks
Oh yea totally forgot to add that..

Lets see... music varies from Gun n Roses to indie music like Libertines/Kings of Leon etc.

Also bands like Radiohead, some Megadeth, and a quite a bit of ska like the Specials.

Im playing through a Grainger Hammerhead amp (like a Epiphone Socal tube amp).
Hmmm

I'd probably go Warthog bridge, Condor middle, Runaway neck. An AMP in the middle would be nice so you could get nice single coil sounds for the ska stuff and the indie you mentioned, dunno how it'd be wired though.

Your best bet is to email Swineshead the info you've posted here, they're very helpful. Ask them about splitting the AMP in the middle too, I'm intrigued now
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
For that kind of stuff, you might want something with less output than a Warthog/Xbucker.

Oh wait, Megadeth. Forget what I just typed.

Looks like a good choice of pickups to me. Maybe a Venom as one of the options in the bridge?

And to Tim-boy, wouldn't the Condor be better in the neck than the Runaway?
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
The Venom, whilst really good for hard rock stuff, is probably a bit too much in this case. Mine is pretty much useless for cleans, it's just too hot

^ I think the Runaway would handle the harder stuff a bit better, whilst still being nice and clean.

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
The Venom, whilst really good for hard rock stuff, is probably a bit too much in this case. Mine is pretty much useless for cleans, it's just too hot

^ I think the Runaway would handle the harder stuff a bit better, whilst still being nice and clean.

Oright.

TS, go with what timi said.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Ah thanks for your quick reply!

Quick question though - what you think of Irongear pickups? I noticed they are like half the price of Swineshead pickups which is fantastic news....
Never heard of Irongear pickups, you could use the search bar?

The combination of pickups seems alright, have you emailed Swinehead?
Last edited by Mwoit at May 26, 2008,
irongear are crap

swineshead have a good range.

AMP neck
condor middle
venom bridge

possibly
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
i haven't tried irongear...

i'd be inclined to go with a warthog in the bridge, maybe condor or runaway in the neck? An AMP in there somewhere too would presumably be cool, for the reasons timi stated...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I emailed the guy and he suggested Warthog in bridge, AMP in middle and condor in neck.

Sounds pretty snazzy to me.

However I am on a really tight budget and might just go with the irongear pickups...
just in case you still go with the swineys, it'd be worth finding out whether he means a bridge AMP or neck AMP (for the middle position)... if he didn't already tell you.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
you'd be better with as many swinesheads as you can afford for now and keep one or two stocks. you get what you pay for

except with irongear where you get less
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
you'd be better with as many swinesheads as you can afford for now and keep one or two stocks. you get what you pay for

except with irongear where you get less

I wouldn't be so quick to trash Irongear... I know the clips are, well, horrible, but most of them just seem to be poorly recorded using cheap equipment.

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix

I wouldn't be so quick to trash Irongear... I know the clips are, well, horrible, but most of them just seem to be poorly recorded using cheap equipment.

mate i wrote the book on cheap and my £20 mic straight into my laptop soundcard sounds fine.

the swineshead clips are good IMO