im confused. i heard natural harmonics are when you lightly put finger on fret and play it, but wouldnt that be muting the string? and i dont get how to do pinch or artificial. i have looked at tons of websites but im confused can someone clear this up for me?
basically, really lightly touching the strings at the fith, seventh or twelth frets can produce natural harmonics (there are more but these are the easy ones)
Pinch harmonics are more difficult where you use your pick and thumb to produce a "pinch harmonic" i think the other name for it is artificial harmonics but im unclear on that, youtube it for a clearer description.
artificial is the same thing as pinch harmonics
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
3 strongest natural harmonics:
12th fret
7th fret
5th fret.
Put your finger lightly on the string over the fret - keep in mind that "fret" here means the actual metal part - and strum. Take finger off the string and let it ring.

And I may be mistaken, but I believe pinch and artificial are the same thing. Just fret the string as if you were to play it normally, and strum. Immediately after the pick hits the string, the thumb on your picking hand should hit the string. With practice and high gain distortion, you can be Zakk Wylde.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
underjoggle is right. i dont do pinch harmonics like that though lol, i do a natural harmonic, but dont take my finger off it so i can be able to bend it if i want to without the harmonic going away. thats the best i can explain it, and the reason why i did is for you to have another way to do pinch harmonics if you cant do it the "thumb" way, like i cant. im not even really sure that the "thumb" way requires a pick, but i know my way doesnt.
Quote by .arkness:.
I see my guitar as a chick because I'd be damned if i were ever holding / fingering a guy for hours a day.

...yeeup
a pinch harmonic is a type of artificial harmonic, but they are not the same. Harp harmonics are also artificially made.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
Quote by aetherspear
a pinch harmonic is a type of artificial harmonic, but they are not the same. Harp harmonics are also artificially made.

I always thought artificial and pinch were the same thing?

What are the other types of artificial harmonics then?
some natural harmonics are on the 2.8, 4, 5, 7, 9, 12, 19, 24

those you can get kinda easily
Quote by the_poison125
How do you do them?

lightly touch the fret 12 frets higher than the one you are on.
I understand artificial as being a technique utilized by finger-style guitarists:

Fret something with the left hand, place index finger on the desired harmonic with right hand, pluck with pinky of right hand.
Quote by The_Toki
lightly touch the fret 12 frets higher than the one you are on.
It doesn't have to be 12, though that is common. You're able to sound harmonics by tapping 5 or 7 frets higher than the fretted note. It works the same as normal harmonics; any distance that works for natural harmonics will work for tapped.
Quote by Remsen
artificial is the same thing as pinch harmonics

A pinch harmonic sounds higher
Quote by 08L1V10N
A pinch harmonic sounds higher

No it doesn't - a pinch harmonic will sound exactly the same pitch as the equivalent natural harmonic. You're still doing the exact same thing, damping the string at a harmonic node to cancel out some of the overtones, you're just using a different technique to do it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Underjoggle
3 strongest natural harmonics:
12th fret
7th fret
5th fret.
Put your finger lightly on the string over the fret - keep in mind that "fret" here means the actual metal part - and strum. Take finger off the string and let it ring.

And I may be mistaken, but I believe pinch and artificial are the same thing. Just fret the string as if you were to play it normally, and strum. Immediately after the pick hits the string, the thumb on your picking hand should hit the string. With practice and high gain distortion, you can be Zakk Wylde.

Very good way of putting it. This is a commonly missed point ive seen people try to do them in the fretting area. The same goes for playing slide. The slide must be above the metal fret not above where the finger would be. Thats why freebird sounded like when i first tried it. Took me a few minutes to realize what an idiot i was for not figureing that out.