My father picked up a broken Sunn Beta-Lead head at the local recycling center a few years ago. We hooked it up to a cab, and the amp was smoking. A bit of the board is fried, and I don't know anything about electronics. I was thinking about taking it to get serviced somewhere, since the amp is worth over $300 in working condition. I read some awesome reviews on this amplifier, and it's supposed to be great for most genres of music. I need a new amplifier anyway, so this could be the way to go.

Anyone ever play one? Would you suggest that I dump my money into this?
Calender

Quote by Xaldin714
why does Thin Lizzy sing in english if they are from ireland
I got one when they first came out in the late 70's (maybe early 80's) - it was a combo with 2-12's. The amp was amazing - awesome tone and just a loud as hell giggin' beauty. The Reverb was better on the Sunn than on my Fender and the "NEW CMOS TECHNOLOGY" sound was totally hot. Sounded wicked. I actually traded a Deluxe Reverb for it back then. I've seen em go for $500 on Ebay still. I recommend it !
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Take it in anything under $250.00 to get it repaired is a steal. Nice amps cutting edge technology at the time.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
it'd be worth it just to have it to play. let alone how much they are worth. i know a guy that would probably pay $1000 for it.
yeah - all SUNN amps are going up in value - even the SS ones. I remember the Beta Lead 2/12 had the speakers mounted inside at an angle. It sounded beautiful - the cleans were pristine and it had Reverb to die for - can't remember much about the gain, etc as I also had a 1970 100-watt Marshall SuperLead at the time and it was my "dirty" baby...
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
http://sunn.ampage.org/site/museum/betalead/

Used by Nirvana (Kurt Cobain), The Melvins (Buzz and Kevin) and Tool (Adam Jones). Even Slash (of Guns n' Roses fame) in various interviews referred to the Sunn Beta Lead as "his first decent amp!"

I'd love another one... A Powerhouse.
damn, yeah when we first got it I thought it was junk because of the appearance. The other day I found it in the garage attic, looked it up and I was nearly sh*ting myself.

Thanks for your input, i'll definitely go get it repaired.
Calender

Quote by Xaldin714
my buddy and i used to jam on his sunn alpha 212..

oh god i want to get one of those amps again.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
I brought the amp to a repair shop, I should be getting it tomorrow! The repair tech told me it's only going to cost $50-$60 tops.

Any cab recommendations?
Calender

Quote by Xaldin714
I got the amp last night.
There is so much you can do with this amplifier by only adjusting the Bass, Middle, and Treble knobs! One of the cleanest of clean channels i've heard in a while. It can really crank out some blues too! It's so easy to find a good sound for the style of music you want to play with this amplifier. From blues to thrash, it sounds great. This was very much worth my money to get fixed!
Calender

Quote by Xaldin714
Pictures?
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
wanna sell it? I never should have sold mine. I was stupid and needed money for my habit... That Beta-Lead was a screamer.
Quote by strangedogs
yeah - all SUNN amps are going up in value - even the SS ones. I remember the Beta Lead 2/12 had the speakers mounted inside at an angle. It sounded beautiful - the cleans were pristine and it had Reverb to die for - can't remember much about the gain, etc as I also had a 1970 100-watt Marshall SuperLead at the time and it was my "dirty" baby...

i once had the sunn 6x12 cabinet!!...just like ya said...the speakers were mounted in a "v"...i wanna say it was called an infinite baffle.....it was with out a doubt the loudest cabinet i have ever heard,...i traded it to a guy for a marshall 1960a cab...and i thought the guy was a sucker,....