Ive been looking at thise
i have an epiphone Dot
so would i get the tone im looking out of them?
i want to play psychobilly
Depends more on your amp. Generally if you want to change your tone, it's your amp that needs changing. Pickup changes are more for 'tweaking' your tone.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
^thats arguable
but since im not in the mood to argue...

Dot users are usually either jazz/blues guys on a budget or country guys
below those two fall pop-punk guys who think they look cool
that being said, where do your playing stylings fall?
thanks, I think id like those better than the gibsons, a lot cheaper aswell
think those would suit the style i play though?
and/or sound good with a semi hollow body?
they're the best ive played (and ive played quite a few) for country and rockabilly
for a hollow I can't personally vouche for them, never dropped em into one.
but I'm sure itll be great.
the only thing you'd have to worry about is feedback, but the pups are potted and im pretty sure the dot isnt fully hollow, it has a block in it to prevent said feedback.
yea, the dot is only a semi hollow so theres no tthat much feedback
the tone from the hot nashvilles is exactly what im looking for
at least the dirty tone haha
None of gibsons 50's and 60's repro pickups sound like vintage pickups. They use the wrong type of wire, the wrong size and type of magnets, the wrong hole sizes in their spacer bars, the wrong type of metal for the spacer bar, they wrong pole spacing, the wrong thickness for the adjustable poles, the wrong thickness for the non adjustable slugs and all the metal parts use the wrong preparation methods which dramatically changes your tone. You would think gibson would be one of the best companies to get vintage style PAF's from but gibson was horrible at keeping records of what they did and at this point in time seymour duncan, larry dimarzio, dave stephen's, tim mills, jason lollar and countless others all know more about vintage gibson pickups than gibson. It's kinda sad.

Anyway, my point with all of this is that gibson vintage repro pickups are crap and you shouldn't get them. If your budget isn't very big then GFS pafs will be just as good as gibson paf's. Seymour duncan's 59 will be a LOT better than gibson's 57. If you have money for boutique pickups there are a few of us that actually go through the effort of milling our own parts making them even more accurate and vintage sounding.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
None of gibsons 50's and 60's repro pickups sound like vintage pickups. They use the wrong type of wire, the wrong size and type of magnets, the wrong hole sizes in their spacer bars, the wrong type of metal for the spacer bar, they wrong pole spacing, the wrong thickness for the adjustable poles, the wrong thickness for the non adjustable slugs and all the metal parts use the wrong preparation methods which dramatically changes your tone. You would think gibson would be one of the best companies to get vintage style PAF's from but gibson was horrible at keeping records of what they did and at this point in time seymour duncan, larry dimarzio, dave stephen's, tim mills, jason lollar and countless others all know more about vintage gibson pickups than gibson. It's kinda sad.

Anyway, my point with all of this is that gibson vintage repro pickups are crap and you shouldn't get them. If your budget isn't very big then GFS pafs will be just as good as gibson paf's. Seymour duncan's 59 will be a LOT better than gibson's 57. If you have money for boutique pickups there are a few of us that actually go through the effort of milling our own parts making them even more accurate and vintage sounding.

ok, thanks for the info
from what ive heard the GFS pick ups are what im looking for
do you agree?
heres liek teh style i like to play

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkRR7UP3jiA
Quote by CorduroyEW

Or dish out for some Bareknuckles but one of those will probably cost as much as the guitar itself XD
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by nekromantic
ok, thanks for the info
from what ive heard the GFS pick ups are what im looking for
do you agree?
heres liek teh style i like to play

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkRR7UP3jiA

They are going to be the cheapest option. If cheep is what you are going for then yeah. They are a good way to go. If you are looking for realy good but still cost effective then I'd go with a Seymour duncan 59. Duncan's 59 is the cheapes PAF style humbucker I know of that uses plane enamel and for accurate PAF tone you need plane enamel wire.
i dont know dude
yeah you're right for the PAF tone, but nekromantix dont really have PAF tone.
i hear jangly, twangy, country inspired tones
hhaha, yea, that was i leanin too
cant beat the price either
was reading some review and ppl were sayin theyre great for psychobilly so ill be picking those up soon
i have both good and bad things to say about gibson pups, but that rant would fill a page...
GFS pups are alot better than given credit for- i ordered a pair to use in my upcoming build (i wanted to test 'em out early) and they really sound good for the price
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
i have both good and bad things to say about gibson pups, but that rant would fill a page...
GFS pups are alot better than given credit for- i ordered a pair to use in my upcoming build (i wanted to test 'em out early) and they really sound good for the price

so you rsaying that theyll sound better than the stock epihpone pups but not as good as the gibsons but for the money theyre a better deal?
well there much better than the stock ones, and they are as good as the gibsons in some cases, better in others, and worse in others still. in ur case, GFS will be better
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
okay. so will they work good for punk(old school) if i have a pedal right?
GUITAR: Gibson Les Paul Special
AMP:Fender Vibro Champ XD
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
USMC
they are pretty versitile, but just a pedal wont suddenely make it work- however it would help
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
well there much better than the stock ones, and they are as good as the gibsons in some cases, better in others, and worse in others still. in ur case, GFS will be better

You haven't given any reason for GFS being better other than they are cheap. What exactly is your reason for thinking GFS are better? Sure they are cheap. I can buy a bag of fertilizer pretty cheap too but that doesn't mean it's going to sound good if I shove it in my guitar.

GFS Pickups are good if you are going for a dramatically different type of sound than what your current pickups are capable of producing. I don't know which stock pickups your dot has, but if they are epi's version of a PAF then they are not pickups. Getting GFS pickups wouldn't help your tone at all. Neither would getting Gibson pickups! They are all on par with each other. If your pickups haver ceramic magnets or are meant to be higher output than a PAF and you are going for PAF tone then getting some GFS pickups would be the most afordable way to go.
no but speaking from experience; GFS is a trustworthy company.
I've never bought anything from them that I wasn't more than completely happy with.
in everything else ive bought over the years, fenders, gibsons, ibanez and countless others there have been good and bad things.
i have an ibanez neck on a yamaha body and its one of the most amazing instruments ive ever felt
i 'had' a gibson paul standard, and i hated it.

price doesnt dictate quality.
which itself is subjective, but when something consistently doesnt let you down there must be something more than just your opinion.
Quote by Recondite Blue
no but speaking from experience; GFS is a trustworthy company.
I've never bought anything from them that I wasn't more than completely happy with.
in everything else ive bought over the years, fenders, gibsons, ibanez and countless others there have been good and bad things.
i have an ibanez neck on a yamaha body and its one of the most amazing instruments ive ever felt
i 'had' a gibson paul standard, and i hated it.

price doesnt dictate quality.
which itself is subjective, but when something consistently doesnt let you down there must be something more than just your opinion.

So basically your reason for thinking GFS are best for him is that you like them and they are cheap? That doesn't really take into account his needs now does it?

As for the GFS are trustworthy thing. Well... I'm going to copy a rant I made about GFS several months back. Here is a link to the article I'm talking about

http://store.guitarfetish.com/19reovalhots.html

And here is the rant

Here are some contradiction in the link you gave us

Quote by GFS website
Picked up an incredible 1967 Strat- Been prejudiced against these for so long- you know- CBS Headstock... Corporate Mismanagement...but didn't Jimi play one of these??

Jimi played a lot of guitars, most of which were post CBS so he is wrong about that.

Quote by GFS website
With the whole world chasing the 1957 Strat sound- I HAD TO figure out what was in these pickups

So was it a 1967 guitar or a 1957 guitar? He says both.

Quote by GFS website
nothing special- just good old fashioned Formvar plain enamel wire, bevelled Alnico V polepieces, real fiber bobbins and white/black cloth wires

There is no such thing as Formvar plain enamel. You have formvar and you have plane enamel. It can’t be both. Formvar is what fender used until 1964 when CBS got the company. If this is from a post CBS guitar like he said then it would not have formvar. If this is a pre CBS 1957 guitar then it would have formvar but not plane enamel. This guy covers both bases by contradicting himself and saying that he is giving you both. This makes me wonder if he is deliberately lying or if he just doesn’t know what he is talking about.

In addition, Fender didn't bevel their magnets back then.

This is our overwound set- dialed in quite a bit hotter than the stock pickups- I think you'll love them- The bridge is a screaming 10K, Mid 9.4K, Neck 9.0K
Even matched the black/white cloth leads- get yourself some tan masking tape and create a near-perfect 60's install!

The name of these pickups is 60’s repro. Can you tell me one 60’s pickup that wound pickups to 10K? It’s impossible to wind a strat pickup to 10K with 42awg wire. With formvar you can get the pickup up to about 6.5K or 7K. With PE you can get it up to about 7K as well. Even if he used 43awg wire it would still be impossible to get 10K with formvar and I you could do it with PE but it's not easy. This means he is going to be using 43awg poly which is not vintage at all and wont sound vintage. Check out the soundclip to my swingin’ hot. Does it sound vintage? NO! So why the hell would I pretend that it did? It doesn’t and his 10K poly pickup won’t sound vintage either.

Quote by GFS website
Next we addressed the windings. The reverse wound middle pickups have been a gift from God right? They make positions 2 and 4 totally humbucking. But as really experienced players are learning- NOTHING is free. Noiseless pickups lose tone, reverse wound mids tend to create a little less Quack and transparency in the 2 and 4 positions. Fact of life. So we wired up straight, just like my 67. WOW! Killer Quack- incredible walking-on-clouds SRV stuff- very impressive.

So here he is telling you that he can make a 10K pickup that sounds nothing like SRV sound just like SRV by simply not giving you a RWRP middle pickup. What magic hat does he pull that ability out of? If you have a middle pickup that sounds nothing like SRV and you have a neck pickup that sounds nothing like SRV then do you honestly believe that you can combine the two and magically get SRV tone? Also, if there was not a sound advantage to RWRP then nobody would do it. It’s more work and it’s another thing to keep track of. I don’t make my strat style pickups with RWRP because I don’t like the extra effort it takes to reverse the motor on my winder and because most people now days do seem to like the tone when it's set up to hum but in reality, the "loss of tone" is very very small and most people can't hear it.

Quote by GFS website
Besides the cool features, these are based on our finest Strat pickups- We've taken our popular vintage Alnico pickups and added real fiber bobbins, authentic Formvar plain enamel wire, cloth leads, even premium German alnico rod magnets

The word authentic is defined as this
“not counterfeit or copied”
He can’t be using authentic Formvar plain enamel wire. 1st, there is no such thing. 2nd, If he just meant authentic formvar or authentic plain enamel, it would be impossible to fit the wire on the bobbins.

Quote by GFS website
We have spared no expense in designing these pickups-with all the vintage accoutrements:
• 50's style black fiberboard bobbin
• Beeswax potted for squeal-free performance
• Non-Reverse wound Middle pickup
• Alnico 5 Magnets
• Vintage style Beveled polepieces
• Cloth covered leads
• Wound quite hot to really drive an amp
• Accurate Formvar plain enamel wire

So here he says it’s all vintage accoutrements but then he winds them way hotter taking them out of the vintage relm. He also stats that it’s “accurate” Formvar plain enamel rather than saying “authentic.” So the question is, Which is it?

My biggest problem with the whole thing is that he says that it’s based on the 57/67 pickup but it doesn’t have anything in common with either of them. It would be like me saying my car is exactly like a candy apple red Ferrari except for the fact that it’s a black ford F-150 truck. The ford truck is good and so is the Ferrari, but they are not good for the same thing.

There are more contradictions on that page than what I pointed out, but I think this gives you an idea of how much you can trust his descriptions.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying they are bad pickups I’m just saying you can’t trust a word they say. I’ve heard some great sounding GFS pickups and I’ve heard some horrible ones.
sorry i didnt bother reading your whole rant, i probably should but am not going at the moment

my reason for suggesting the GFS retrotron stuff is beause they are what he's looking for
twangy humbuckers that do well with gain.
simple as that
Quote by CorduroyEW
You haven't given any reason for GFS being better other than they are cheap. What exactly is your reason for thinking GFS are better? Sure they are cheap. I can buy a bag of fertilizer pretty cheap too but that doesn't mean it's going to sound good if I shove it in my guitar.

GFS Pickups are good if you are going for a dramatically different type of sound than what your current pickups are capable of producing. I don't know which stock pickups your dot has, but if they are epi's version of a PAF then they are not pickups. Getting GFS pickups wouldn't help your tone at all. Neither would getting Gibson pickups! They are all on par with each other. If your pickups haver ceramic magnets or are meant to be higher output than a PAF and you are going for PAF tone then getting some GFS pickups would be the most afordable way to go.

well all it says is that my pick ups are "Vintage Alnico"
but im not really looking for an authentic old school sound, just looking for a pickup that will play psychobilly better than the stock pick ups
and ive heard from a few people that the memphis hot GFS will work great for that style and they meet my price range aswell
USMC
Okay, well i sent the nekromantix a message on myspace about their guitarist pick ups and he said he used DeArmonds
USMC
Quote by CorduroyEW

ok so i should have given an example--- GFS pups are much higher quality than stock epiphone pups even with the low price. that better?

honestly, it makes u think tho- if $20-30 pups are that much higher quility than epi stock ones, how cheap DO they make 'em????
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
ok so i should have given an example--- GFS pups are much higher quality than stock epiphone pups even with the low price. that better?

honestly, it makes u think tho- if $20-30 pups are that much higher quility than epi stock ones, how cheap DO they make 'em????

hahah, i was thinkin the same thing
but what about teh classic DeArmonds, obviously they can produce the sound im looking for bout are they good quality and good price and of so know where i can find them?
USMC
dont go with PAFs, the guitarist in the video is using a gretsch, and they dont use PAFs. The GFS retrotron pickups would be good choice if you're on a budget.
"A guitar is the human soul, speaking with just six strings..."- Eddie Lee

Irvine Kinneas of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM me, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
Quote by nekromantic
hahah, i was thinkin the same thing
but what about teh classic DeArmonds, obviously they can produce the sound im looking for bout are they good quality and good price and of so know where i can find them?

Saying the pickups are DeArmond is like saying the pickups are Fender. What they didn't specify is which model. The best reproductions of classic DeArmond pickups can be found at www.tvjones.com