im sorry i tried to make sense of the FAQ but it was like reading another language... anyway...

my band and i are going to record soon and i wanted to know how we can record on the smallest budget possible the gear we already have are amps, guitars, a bass and a drumset
o and we have a mic that plugs into a computer and a guitar amp converter piece for it
Common sense...

Get some cash together, get a 2-4 track demo done in a cheap studio
You're sorted for a long time then

You may say 'we cant afford it atm' well then wait till you can afford it until recording your demo

Its worth it, because if all you have is a PC mic then your demo will always be ****e.
dont mean to be rude but there are lots and lots of threads already on this subject. sure if you searched abit you could find something useful
i searched but i am seriously clueless

i was looking into connecting the guitars to the computer via usb but is that the only thing you need to do that or do u need a computer chip like you do for some other stuff?
In general you would need an audio interface. This is a unit which plugs into your computer via USB or Firewire and acts as bypassing your soundcard. The interface will act as your soundcard. You can then plug in your mics and instruments to your interface to record. How low is the low budget you are talking about, because when it comes to recording drums, it can get very expensive.
There is poetry in despair.
The band I'm in we use a fostex VF160EX they are out of production now but fostex make cheaper/smaller versions @ $299 ish and they usually come with some cheap mics as well.
one of the band members actually owns an electric drum set but we can probably pool together another 150ish dollars
with usb or fire wire can i plug the guitars in directly or does it need another adapter?
For $150 you cant get much and you would need $1000 to record an acoustic drum set so go with the electric set for recording...

I would look into the PreSonus Inspire 1394 firewire interface

You'll want a mic for vocals and micing amps but you are already out of money with an interface...
if you can get some cash, the SM57 dynamic mic is a great general use mic.

Overall it would be best to go to a cheap studio and use their gear...
so you can't actually place the guitar into the firewire/usb and then add effects when its on the computer? you actually have to mic the amp?

anyways thanks for the help guys

i don't really think my band wants to go to a studio
Yes, you can run the guitar directly into the recording interface and add effects after ward. The catch is, unless you're willing to drop some dime for decent plugins, it's going to sound digital. If you have an established tone that you want to capture from your amp, the best way in my opinion, is micing the cab. If you already have a tube amp, invest in a couple of SM57's and mic with those. You'll get way better results.
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
in a magazine i have they advertised the ls-10 linear pcm recorder... the add makes it seem good but what exactly is that and is it good to record with>
That probably won't give you very good results. It looks more like something you would record a lecture with or maybe an impromptu live session.

First off, do you have a PC available to use? What is your budget?
Made up statistic
well i really don't know our budget yet... i threw out 150 but that just an estimate

and of course we all have PCs
Your best bet is to hit up Musicians Friend and look at the recording interface section. You could probably afford a 2 input usb interface.
Made up statistic
can you or anyone else link me to some audio clips or videos of what this digital guitar sounds like?
Quote by l3estever
i searched but i am seriously clueless

i was looking into connecting the guitars to the computer via usb but is that the only thing you need to do that or do u need a computer chip like you do for some other stuff?

Man take this advice, I know it might seem harsh but im trying to help you out.

Firstly, the amount you would spend on recording gear that would enable you to get a really rough and bad quality recording would cost you far more than tracking at a top of the line studio.

Second of all, don't take this the wrong way, but recording is a very difficult and technical art form and if you aren't capable of interpreting basic fundamentals designed to help with people new to recording, then even assuming you are able to get the gear setup in working order, you're recordings will still be poorly mixed and drowning in phase and noise. You've really underestimated how difficult recording is, and I suggest you take the time to thoroughly learn the language and art form of audio, or don't waste your time and money on it. Before you buy anything, I strongly suggest you go through this site completely www.tweakheadz.com, if you can't get your head around that, then don't waste a cent of your money on recording.
Quote by f*ck 0ff
Man take this advice, I know it might seem harsh but im trying to help you out.

Firstly, the amount you would spend on recording gear that would enable you to get a really rough and bad quality recording would cost you far more than tracking at a top of the line studio.

Second of all, don't take this the wrong way, but recording is a very difficult and technical art form and if you aren't capable of interpreting basic fundamentals designed to help with people new to recording, then even assuming you are able to get the gear setup in working order, you're recordings will still be poorly mixed and drowning in phase and noise. You've really underestimated how difficult recording is, and I suggest you take the time to thoroughly learn the language and art form of audio, or don't waste your time and money on it. Before you buy anything, I strongly suggest you go through this site completely www.tweakheadz.com, if you can't get your head around that, then don't waste a cent of your money on recording.

Agreed. Doesn't really matter how good of gear you have, if you don't have the know-how you won't get good results. Find a small studio in your area. If you have your songs down back to front, it shouldn't take more than 4-5 hours to record 2 or 3 songs which will end up costing just as much or even less than buying the gear needed to do it yourself. Just make sure your songs are completed so you can get in and out instead of paying someone to sit there while you finish writing your songs.
i understand it better than i did... im reading the guide right now and hopefully it clears up some unanswered questions
wow i understand slightly better!
Last edited by l3estever at Aug 13, 2008,
Haha slow down man, I seriously don't advise spending any money for a little while, Im not trying to discourage you or anyone else from recording, but for now its probably a good idea if you take the previous posters advice and use a studio this time around, recording in a proffesional studio is a really good learning experience in itself. Book some time in a studio and when you're there notice everything the sound engineer does, get in his face and ask lots of questions, the worst he's gunna do is tell you to f*ck off, which never hurt anyone. The way I see it, if you are really ready to be spending money on expensive gear than you shouldn't need to use places like the UG message boards as a basis for what to buy. Hopefully you see this all as constructive critisism, just be patient and keep learning, it doesn't happen overnight.
Man you guys are buzzkills. One of the best songwriting tools you can have as a musician, is the ability to record your ideas (without having to hit a studio). If you're serious about it, spend a few hundred and get a taste of whats required to record at home (do some research and reading about it first, obviously). You can get some good sounding recordings for less than you think. Plus, by throwing your money at a studio you're not learning anything. I know even the crappy recording studios in this area charge enough per hour to warrant the purchase of a cheap interface for your PC as opposed to recording a two or three song demo.
Made up statistic
and the good part about not having to go to the studio is... YOU DONT HAVE TO GO TO THE STUDIO!