I'm really close to buying a VK head but I'm starting to get cold feet. I like it but I haven't been able to compare it to anything but the B52 AT100 which I wasn't all that impressed with. The thing that always pops up in the back of my head is a used 5150 but I've never played one and no stores near me carry them. Any insightful ideas?
Metal, but I want some versatility too. My ideal amp is a recto if that helps, but that's not going to be possible for a few years and I can't live with my MG for that long haha.
i have a VK head/cab and i like it but i get a lot of feedback (noise suppressor will fix that). I'd like to get an EQ pedal too cuz the bass on it is a little funky. It's a good amp though, especially for the price-although id reccomend getting a better cab (that might be why the bass isnt too great).
Yea I'm either getting a Mesa 2x12 cab w/ V30's or an Avatar with the same specs.
5150 and rect very different sounding amps. the valveking is more like the 5150. if u want a recto sort of sound on the cheap, the B-52 AT100 has been called the "poor mans rectifier" havent heard one, but thats what ive read. i've heard a few valvekings and 5150s. valveking is a more classic rock voicing, you can get plenty of gain on the tap, but the 5150 will sound darker. that said, i think the valveking gives more useable cleans. you'd have to try the 5150 and compare. depends what sort of metal tone you want. valveking for old marshally sounding stuff, especially with a good set of tubes in it. the 5150 for the brutal metal sound
It'd be good with a speaker change, a 5150 would be better for metal but not so much everything else. It is the better amp IMO.
Is there actually more distortion on the 5150 or are they just different in a way?
I'd say give the B-52 AT100 another shot... I'm not sure how much you played around with it, or at what volumes, but it's an extremely versatile amp, with some beautiful cleans and pretty sick dirt...

It's gotta be at least cranked a bit to see it start to come to life though...

And if you're looking for Rectoesque then this amp is the way to go....

It takes some time and playing around to see what the amp can do...
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
5150s are tighter and better sounding distortion-wise, but the price is usable cleans, at least IMO. The Valveking really shines at heavy rock/mod rock, but I have found that it can do metal quite easily with a speaker swap. In your case that hardly matters as you're getting the head version.
I absolutely hate the VK series. They sound horrible. Although the B52 AT100 sounds pretty top notch. Definitely Recto-esqe. I'm not a huge fan of the 5150 and related amps. Too much gain and fizz for me.
Quote by Zander155
I absolutely hate the VK series. They sound horrible. Although the B52 AT100 sounds pretty top notch. Definitely Recto-esqe. I'm not a huge fan of the 5150 and related amps. Too much gain and fizz for me.

I think I just had an aneurysm.
Quote by HxCori<3
you sir, are the ultimate UG stereotype, praise a not so good metal player, zakk, put down other peoples playing, seriously say I WAS GONAA PLAYZ SOME UBER LEEDS LOZLOERLS~1!!!11!, and then critique epiphones as if there worth a second glance
Quote by Zander155

But yet you own a Marshall: MG100HDFX.....
He also has a C30 though.

Anyway, the Valveking is great for modern styles, WITH A DECENT SPEAKER/SPEAKERS.
So get over the fact that it's shit without decent speakers, and you have a good amp. I actually prefer my amp to my friends C30, but then he plays blues and a load of Bruce Springsteen. It's all taste, subjective etc.