Page 1 of 3
Does anyone really need a tube 100W head and 4X12 cab? I'm looking for a new amp and thought about getting a head and cab but then thought my amp is only 55 watts and so far the few gigs I've played at it hasn't been turned up past 4. But I haven't played out a lot and don't want to get into a situation where I need the 100W and have to lose money on trading up. But I'm thinking tube amps sound better when cranked and I just don't see myself playing a venue where I would need to crank 100W. And if I did I'm thinking we could just mic my amp.
If you are happy with the tone of your amp I would stick with it.

And yeah you definitely don't need 100 watts of tube.
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
The only reason you'd need 100 watts tube is for clean headroom. And in the unlikely event that you'll need to go to a larger gig without a PA system, you could always hook up a 4x12 to your combo (I'm assuming your current amp is a combo, since you said you're thinking about a head and a cab).
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
50 watts is ear splitting, and the only difference is headroom. i've never found much of an audible difference. though if your worried about your clean headroom, then maybe the upgrade might be worth it. or if you need to keep a very tight distorson sound the higher wattage might be usefull, specially if your tunning very low and playing very staccato
seen a band playin on small (mind you small is like 100W) combo amp line 6 spiders

and they were plenty loud enough just mic your ****

i have a 120w behringer combo amp $200 it sux ass but it can get loud

i need to trade up just because its a p.o.s.
Quote by Kensai
Girls don't have to do anything to be good in bed. If she's got a pulse she's automatically an 8.

No, you don't need 100 watts. Almost no one does, unless your playing a football stadium or something.
The B-52 Bombers Group!
Own a B-52 amp? Join the club!

Quote by nashawa
He may be a troll, but he's an incredibly successful troll. So kudos on that.
i gig everyweekend. some pretty big shows. i play through a 40 watt tube amp. put it this way, i really wish the amp was about 15-25 watts.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by mzhang13
I have a Line 6 Spider III Combo 75 watt and I never play live over noon (master volume). I do play in a somewhat small venue though.

Keep in mind TS that his amp is solid state. Tube amps at the same wattage sound louder than solid states.

(idk if you know this already just making sure )
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
Quote by chea_man
i gig everyweekend. some pretty big shows. i play through a 40 watt tube amp. put it this way, i really wish the amp was about 15-25 watts.

you have a Fender hot rod deluxe, right? I have one too, and sometimes I wish it was a little more quiet
--F-F-T-S---
--EbOla----
---name pending?--

Quote by PlayMadness
No. Everybody dies. And one day, given that your relationship doesn't crash and burn like so many do, one of you will end up deep in sorrow while watching the other one die.

Cranking my 30w 112 combo with a 98db speaker was simply just painful. It now has a 100dB sensitivity speaker and I fear I may not even be able to use that to its biggest effect. In fact, i've never actually had to play a gig where you need more than 15w. My co-guitarist has a 20w amp with a 115 cab, and me the aforementioned combo, and i've really not had to turn it above 2.5!
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
I have always used amps with at least 80 watts tubed.A smaller wattage amp will not get the stage volume that you need for larger venues. A small amp will sound just fine miked thru the pa and whats coming thru the monitors, but it will be stepped on by the bass and drums.The reason I use a head and a bottom is for carrying sake. A big combo can become unwielding.A head in one hand and a 212 bottom in the other is pretty comtfortable.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
Quote by tincho729

you have a Fender hot rod deluxe, right? I have one too, and sometimes I wish it was a little more quiet

yeah man, thats the. and yeah it def. seems to loud sometimes. especially when the sound guy wants a low stage volume.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Also depends on the music your playing... And if your looking for power tube saturation or don't want power tube saturation... I prefer 120watts over 60watts for example.. Its all based on preference and music styles..
I've seen some guys who used them effectively. Something like a 100W NMV Marshall, if you have no effects, running into a 4x12 with greenbacks and using a guitar with low output pickups works pretty well for some people and isn't really all that loud in a decently sized venue. To answer the question, no you do not need a rig that large to sound good. Some people just like it.
Quote by Roc8995
To answer the question, no you do not need a rig that large to sound good. Some people just do it to look cool.

fixed
Quote by Kensai
Girls don't have to do anything to be good in bed. If she's got a pulse she's automatically an 8.

I've had to use my 120 watt head and 6x12 to it's full capacity playing outdoors before, mainly because the PA sounded absolutely horrible and I needed the clean headroom. I think you should always be prepared to go on without a PA if something goes wrong with it or it just sucks, and that means having a lot of speakers, and 100 watts if you use cleans.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Ok next question, is there going to be much of a difference whether I get a 40W 1X12 versus a 2X12?
i have a 450W combo (300 w/o cab) and i can just cope with drums comfortably

i play bass tho =/
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
You don't need 100w unless you really want the clean headroom. Other than that 50w is more than plenty
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
The only time I recommend a 100 watt tube head is for playing shows at outdoor festivals [Warped Tour, Ozzfest, Edgefest, etc]

Most metal guys use 100 watts, even for small shows, because the amps they want are normally 100+ watts. It doesn't sound bad to not-crank it, it just sounds better.

Quote by bsantos_5
Ok next question, is there going to be much of a difference whether I get a 40W 1X12 versus a 2X12?

I think 2x12 amps sound fuller and generally better but it's just my preference. I wouldn't ever gig with less than a 2x12 but that's just me.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
I run a Fender Twin Reverb and a cranked Vox AC30. Needless to say, I have volume (and hearing trouble).
I've never got my Tiny Terror to full tilt on the 7W option yet, and i play in a hard rock band.

Honestly, for dirty sounds you don't need a huge amount of wattage.
100 watts is totally worth it for the clean headroom, but that's it. Like, I have only ever turned up past 11:30 once on a Boogie Dual Recto, and that was for tone testing...note: i almost creamed, but nonetheless..... 100 watts is not NECESSARY, but for the clean headroom it is really nice.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Low wattage doesn't necessarilly equate a good dirty side. I think the guys that own low wattage amps haven't had a chance to crank 80 or a 100 watt amps so they have nothing to compare it to. The more wattage you can afford the better off you will be.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
Quote by modernp
Low wattage doesn't necessarilly equate a good dirty side. I think the guys that own low wattage amps haven't had a chance to crank 80 or a 100 watt amps so they have nothing to compare it to. The more wattage you can afford the better off you will be.

Thank you modernp!
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
I have played all sizes of venue (excluding stadium enormodome deals) with almost every kind and size of amp
most of the time you dont want more than 30w
i take a 4x12 but hardly ever actually plug it in

the only reason you want a stack is to look cool
Shut up and play your guitar!
Quote by modernp

I cranked a LaneyGH100L and compared to my TT I hated it.

Cranked JCM800 was nice, but no venue near me would let me crank it, wheras I can almost crank the TT with no complaints.

Tone > Wattage.
tell jim marshall that low wattage amps suck. he himself said his 18 watters were the best sounding overdrive amps he ever made.
Quote by maiden_mexico
tell jim marshall that low wattage amps suck. he himself said his 18 watters were the best sounding overdrive amps he ever made.

he should make some more low wattage tube amps. maybe some affordable ones too.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by modernp

What's the point of having one if you can't crank it?

Also, the 18 watt Marshalls and Buddas (and my Maz Jr) sound pretty damn great cranked.
(Yes, I have in fact cranked a Marshall 1959SLP).
Quote by chea_man
he should make some more low wattage tube amps. maybe some affordable ones too.

that's why he made the MG
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Quote by shredhead22
that's why he made the MG

I think he meant tube amps that were low wattage and/or affordable. Judging from other amplifier companies, it's definitely doable.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Quote by DrNick
I think he meant tube amps that were low wattage and/or affordable. Judging from other amplifier companies, it's definitely doable.

i know, i was making a troll joke
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Quote by colin617
What's the point of having one if you can't crank it?

Because not everybody wants a load of power tube overdrive in their sound, not everybody plays blues and classic rock you know.

I like my 50 watt combo, sounds great at gigging volume and it means I have plenty of power in reserve if I ever need to play in a massive venue.

People don't seem to realise that you don't have to have an amp on 10 for the power amp to come into the equation.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
Because not everybody wants a load of power tube overdrive in their sound, not everybody plays blues and classic rock you know.

I like my 50 watt combo, sounds great at gigging volume and it means I have plenty of power in reserve if I ever need to play in a massive venue.

People don't seem to realise that you don't have to have an amp on 10 for the power amp to come into the equation.

If you play a massive venue, you will be mic'd. Almost never will you need to crank a 50 watt amp. Also, if you don't want a lot of power tube distortion, why would you buy an amp that relies on it to get its characteristic sound?!

I never said have it sitting on 10 would be to only way to involve the power amp. I'm saying that a 100 watt Mesa Dual Rec with a volume on 7 pushing a 412 cabinet will irritate the hell out of most sound guys. I play outdoor festivals and large concert halls and get told to turn the AC30 212 combo down almost every time.

BTW, I don't play blues or classic rock.
Quote by colin617
If you play a massive venue, you will be mic'd. Almost never will you need to crank a 50 watt amp. Also, if you don't want a lot of power tube distortion, why would you buy an amp that relies on it to get its characteristic sound?!

I never said have it sitting on 10 would be to only way to involve the power amp. I'm saying that a 100 watt Mesa Dual Rec with a volume on 7 pushing a 412 cabinet will irritate the hell out of most sound guys. I play outdoor festivals and large concert halls and get told to turn the AC30 212 combo down almost every time.

BTW, I don't play blues or classic rock.

The gig I did last night with my 50 watt amp cranked up would be proving you wrong at this point.

There was also an Orange Rockerverb 100 watt halfstack there, with the volume around 4 which is more than enough to get the power tubes working, and the mix was fine.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Page 1 of 3