OK, my youth pastor is selling off his pedal board, a lot of pedals and a nice board all for $500 dollars. don't worry about which ones. just kno that they are pedals that i, personally, would like to have on a pedal board if i had made it myself.

my main question, though, is this. i'm about to go off to college and be living in a dorm situation for the next 4 years. would it be stupid to buy 7 pedals and a nice pedal board when i'm going to be in a dorm? would it be better to buy something like a boss ME-50 that i can use headphones with?

I just have no idea how much space i'll need for all those pedals and everything. i'll be running them through a fairly large amp, but it has a headphone port and everything.

yea...this is probly a stupid question, but idk...i mainly feel drawn to get the pedals because they seem to have more individual control over each sound than the ME-50 would, and plus, i rly like my pastor and would like to help him out by buying the pedals

thanks
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
im also moving into a dorm, however im just gonna buy a pocket pod. not even taking an amp just cause i dont wanna annoy ppl, the pod is made for headphones, and has tonnes of decent amp models (non comparable to the spider ****e) and tonnes of effects
not everyone wants some guy playing guitar in the room next to them
Last edited by stephen_rettie at May 26, 2008,
Depends on the res you stay in but most of them tend not to be so accomadating to piles of equipment. If it's a larger room, then as long as you fit it all into your room at home, and assuming that is around the same size, then I don't see why you couldn't fit it all in. Some universities have huge dorm rooms, some have tiny ones, the question is, how big will your room be?

Oh yeah...you'll definitely need to plug in the headphones in either case.
Quote by mattvl
Depends on the res you stay in but most of them tend not to be so accomadating to piles of equipment. If it's a larger room, then as long as you fit it all into your room at home, and assuming that is around the same size, then I don't see why you couldn't fit it all in. Some universities have huge dorm rooms, some have tiny ones, the question is, how big will your room be?

they are pretty big rooms, and the pedal board sets up and packs away rather neatly as far as i can tell.

*sigh* if the guy wasnt my friend i wouldn't be having this dilema. i kinda made it out that i rly rly rly wanted his pedal board, but didnt have the money. well, i got the money, and now i don't want to screw him over...but the ME-50 makes so much more sense because its 180$ cheaper and i can spend that $180 on other things such as pups for my jet king....
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Couldn't you just get the pedals and use the headphone jack on your amp?
Guitars:
Epiphone SG
Schecter Damien FR
Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amps:
Epiphone Studio 10S Practice Amp
Peavey ValveKing 212

Effects:
Vox V847 (NOT V847A) Wah Pedal
DOD FX55-B Supra Distortion
Quote by Slash546
Couldn't you just get the pedals and use the headphone jack on your amp?

yea, thats wat im thinking about doing...but idk...im going to find out if they are even what i want tomorrow
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
I'm gonna run my TonePort through a laptop in my dorm, no reason you can't do the same (and put the pedals before the computer).
i'd bring the stuff if you're planning on playing with other people at school, but invest in a $30 VOX ampplug so you don't have a roommate who wants to kill you
^Don't buy an amp plug. Bad tone is bad tone, no matter how quiet. Use headphones.
hmm, i only heard good things about ampplugs?

then nevermind about that, and now i have to come up with a better idea
Quote by paniero

yea, amplugs are cool for what they are. but they aren't that great IMO. its rly between the ME-50, the pedals, or just being rly cheap and using garageband on my apple
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
I can tell you, you can fit LOTS of gear in a dorm room. I lived in a 9' x 11' room last year, with a room mate. I think that, at max capacity, I had 2 2x12" cabs, two heads, a 1x12" combo, a 1x15" combo, 2 acoustics, a dozen pedals, 3 basses, and half a dozen electrics in my HALF of the room. Granted, I slept on the floor all year, but whatever.

I think a nice pedal board is always useful. While the ME-50 is a good travel option, I think the pedals would be better for living in a dorm. You'd have what you *really* want. I, personally, can't stand practicing with headphones.

Ideally, you could find a band to join, and move your main rig into a practice space.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
I can tell you, you can fit LOTS of gear in a dorm room. I lived in a 9' x 11' room last year, with a room mate. I think that, at max capacity, I had 2 2x12" cabs, two heads, a 1x12" combo, a 1x15" combo, 2 acoustics, a dozen pedals, 3 basses, and half a dozen electrics in my HALF of the room. Granted, I slept on the floor all year, but whatever.

I think a nice pedal board is always useful. While the ME-50 is a good travel option, I think the pedals would be better for living in a dorm. You'd have what you *really* want. I, personally, can't stand practicing with headphones.

Ideally, you could find a band to join, and move your main rig into a practice space.

Holy heck! And you DIDN'T get robbed for that much stuff? Btw, did you play them all at once?

Oh, and British Unis don't have TARDIS technology in their dorm rooms - they're smaller on the inside - so I'm gonna take my Ibanez, my small Laney combo and (hopefully) a Digitech floor processor - it's more sensible to have a floorboard, i think, cos you won't have as many wires, and when you're not gigging, you can jack headphones in directly and save energy and even more cables. Get a good floor processor, only get pedals if you're gonna gig and you need the better sound.

Ibanez S470
Laney HCM30R
Digitech GNX3000
Last edited by quantum leap at May 26, 2008,
Quote by paniero

yh they sound pretty good, if you go on vox website you can listen to sound clips of the amplugs
Guitars

Dean Razorback Explosion Lefty
ESP LTD EX-400 LH
Vintage?? LH

Amp

Bugera 333xl
Bugera 412H-BK
Quote by quantum leap
Holy heck! And you DIDN'T get robbed for that much stuff? Btw, did you play them all at once?

Eigh, three locked doors between the world and the gear. Not to mention that most people just saw a pile of crap, not a huge stash of guitar gear.
I got myself a POD and used headphones. Was quite nice too, cause I could hook it up to my mac nd record with it too.

Overall it's a really nice option if you want to have a versatile setup without lugging tons of gear.
ADA MP-1 fanatic!

Rig:
ADA MP-1 (stock)
TC Electronic G-Major
Marshall El84 20/20
I have actual dorm experience. I plugged my pedalboard right into my VK112 and played my heart out. It's fine, everyone freaks out about it. Just get all buddy buddy with your RA. Also, when finals week hit, the Vox AmPlug saved my life. It sounds awesome, worked out well (NOT IN A TELECASTER!) and was mostly perfect (telecaster once again, good thing I have a million guitars).

Sure, cables got in the way of my drunken room mate from time to time, and I think every one of my friends (myself included) has shed blood on the corner of my Big Muff, be we all got over it. Then again, I go to a music school, so it may be different for me.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
just use the headphone jack on the amp. having pedals won't effect how loud you are if you use the headphone jack. my biggest problem in school was that i just cranked my amp and never used headphones. i got at least 1 noise complaint a day.
You sure you're going to spend the next 4 years living in a dorm? As in actually sleeping in the same room as other guys till you're like 22? That's going to be heaps of fun when you're 18, but seriously, not for the next four years. If you want to actually do stuff, like have a steady girlfriend or play an instrument you're going to need an actual house. Couldn't you get a part time job and share a house with friends in your second year or something?

Yeah I did do 3 years living on campus myself, but I had a private room at least, and when I got my own place I kicked myself I didn't do it sooner.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
Quote by bored_maniac33
OK, my youth pastor is selling off his pedal board, a lot of pedals and a nice board all for $500 dollars. don't worry about which ones. just kno that they are pedals that i, personally, would like to have on a pedal board if i had made it myself.

my main question, though, is this. i'm about to go off to college and be living in a dorm situation for the next 4 years. would it be stupid to buy 7 pedals and a nice pedal board when i'm going to be in a dorm? would it be better to buy something like a boss ME-50 that i can use headphones with?

I just have no idea how much space i'll need for all those pedals and everything. i'll be running them through a fairly large amp, but it has a headphone port and everything.

yea...this is probly a stupid question, but idk...i mainly feel drawn to get the pedals because they seem to have more individual control over each sound than the ME-50 would, and plus, i rly like my pastor and would like to help him out by buying the pedals

thanks

jesus.
pardon the blasphemy but please make sure you're not cashing out 500 bucks to help your pastor.
i live in a dorm (japanese size) but no problems here you can get the board. just shove it under the bed (i don't though).
i'd recommend getting your ideal gear straight away instead of buying one of those "temporary" gear. you save money that way (assuming one day you will buy the ideal pedals).
I had 2 guitars (I settled on just one of my electrics and my acoustic), a 1x12 Peavey amp, and a pedal board with about 6 pedals (could fit around 8 on the board though) with me in my dorm all last year, but it was a bit bigger than most dorms. It was never a problem, and at least where I was nobody cared that I played in my room. I had numerous people say that as long as you don't suck they don't care. Plenty of people do loud stuff anyway, seeing as how its a dry campus but nobody enforces it in the back corner of campus where we are. Whenever I walk down the hall it's rare not to hear music, usually in the form of rock band or guitar hero. However, I'm planning on getting an apartment with some friends next year. I will still only initially take one guitar, but if I end up in a band I'll get more.

On a side note, an acoustic guitar is a must in college.

Hagstrom Ultralux XL-5
Epiphone SG Standard
Oscar Schmidt OG10CE Acoustic-Electric

60W Peavey Studio Pro 112

Boss TU-2 > Homebrew Electronics UFO > Dunlop Crybaby > Catalinbread Hyperpak > Digitech Bad Monkey > Behringer DD400
Quote by Danno13
I'm gonna run my TonePort through a laptop in my dorm, no reason you can't do the same (and put the pedals before the computer).

+1 This is what I did when I lived in the dorms.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by Sledfang
seeing as how its a dry campus

There is something massively wrong with those two words being next to one another
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
Make sure you can trust your room mates! I can just see one getting home drunk and he's all "hey man whats this gnarley guitar dooin ouuut?" picks it up, plays it horribly and then spins around ramming the headstock into a desk

haha sorry I'm cynical when it comes to random room mates
this is a post. there are many like it but this one is mine

=======================

Taylor Big Baby
Agile 3100 CSB
Peavey classic 30/112
Okko Dominator, Big muff pi, cs3, dd3, ch1, ts9, ad9, classic wah
Quote by Sledfang
I had 2 guitars (I settled on just one of my electrics and my acoustic), a 1x12 Peavey amp, and a pedal board with about 6 pedals (could fit around 8 on the board though) with me in my dorm all last year, but it was a bit bigger than most dorms. It was never a problem, and at least where I was nobody cared that I played in my room. I had numerous people say that as long as you don't suck they don't care. Plenty of people do loud stuff anyway, seeing as how its a dry campus but nobody enforces it in the back corner of campus where we are. Whenever I walk down the hall it's rare not to hear music, usually in the form of rock band or guitar hero. However, I'm planning on getting an apartment with some friends next year. I will still only initially take one guitar, but if I end up in a band I'll get more.

On a side note, an acoustic guitar is a must in college.

that's nice. i have teachers and students knocking on my door now and then.

there was once, this teacher told me to stop and when he's gone i just reduced the volume then back he came and warned me again.

then another time i was practicing when this teacher came to tell me that "it is actually restricted (to play) in the dorm".

i'm just appreciating amp tubes. that's why the volume.
"Often it does seem a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the boat." -Mark Twain
I had loads of music gear with me when I was in halls. Plenty of people do.